Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 01:29 AM

Default Successful Deer Calling

Hi, I'm looking for advice on a good deer call to use this time of year. I've done some research online, but I wanted advice from locals. I'm fairly new to deer hunting and have gotten pretty close to a few WT and Mule does this past month, however I'm hoping for a buck. I haven't spotted one yet, although I'm hoping there will be one following around the Does I've been tracking. What do you find works best this time of year?

I've heard good things about this:
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/108/h...and-deer-calls

Any other recommendations?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:57 AM

I have never used that brand but primos bleat cans have worked well. I also use rattling antlers
Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 AM

Pick yourself up a buck grunt call watch some videos and Hunt where the does are you'll see a buck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 AM

Sounds good. Thank you both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Bleat can, grunt tube, pack rack: the Trinity of calls. Alone or together they can bring a buck in. A nice trick with the bleats is to get a retreating deer to turn around and give you one last chance. Curiosity kills more than the cat.

Besides that watch a couple videos and do the calls in bursts. You don't need to lay on it continually. Sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes for the deer to go from where they heard you to where you can spot them.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Trinity of calls is a great way to describe it. Some grunt tubes will also allow you to adjust the reed or have a setting for a doe bleat as well, but those 3 can and should be used at some point when you're calling depending on your situation.

I've had the same experience with calling cycles. The #1 thing I've seen is folks overdoing it. They normally don't do a bee-line and head straight for you so rattling or grunting for 45 minutes will likely only work to spook them. They may, and most times do, circle around you and try to pick up a scent, investigate, etc. so it may take a bit until they pop up. Every 10 to 20 to 30 minutes should be all it takes. Rut is an exception. I've seen them stand out in the middle of a field in the wide open 3 minutes after calling, so your mileage will vary. There are lots of resources on the net though for the different types of calls and situations. Happy calling!
Old 11-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Raddling will cover more distance than a grunt tube. Once deer respond to the antlers add some realism with the grunting or the bleat can or best if both are used. There is a good study on raddling deer from a Texas university. To be successful first there needs to be deer that are not spooked within hearing distance, second you need to setup properly. If you allow them they will circle you downwind in cover you will never see them or hear them and they will have busted you.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:25 PM

Rattle for bucks you can’t see and grunt for bucks you can see. Don’t over do it. Couple grunts and if he doesn’t immediately react one long grunt when he starts to walk again. He may have does and get ****ed at another buck. That’s been my experience
Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 PM

I picked up all three types of calls this afternoon. I’ll be heading back to my spot this weekend to try them out. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk