Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Gps?

I looking for advice on a decent handheld GPS unit. I just want something that I can mark the location of my truck, and find my way back in the dark. Nothing fancy, I’m too old to know how to work the fancy ones. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Get yourself the ihunter app if you have a newer phone save you the cost of a $300 GPS

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Are pick up any Garmin model

Old 11-09-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Get yourself the ihunter app if you have a newer phone save you the cost of a $300 GPS

Will it work in area's without cell service?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Mine appears too.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Backtrack

I have been using a Bushnell backtrack for 8 seasons now. Very simple, can mark 3 different way points and has compass. Extreamly simple and inexpensive. I paid like 60$ for mine. It has never let me down yet.

Seems like eBay is the only option for a backtrack....doesnt look like they make it anymore...good news is they are selling for 25-60$

Last edited by obsessed1; 11-09-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Is ihunter app available for android?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Is ihunter app available for android?
Yes
Old 11-09-2018, 06:45 PM

When using gps apps on your phone it will drain the battery very quickly, the new gps apps are awesome if you pack a battery pack and charger but for straight up simple reliability Garmin or equivalent gps are by the far the best tool. Working as a forester I get a pretty good idea of what works and doesn’t work and as long as you have service the apps work very well but they do glitch sometimes out of service. Using the phone apps you usually have the ability to change the map to a satellite image which is a major bonus for hunters though. I generally take both while hunting because it’s nothing to carry both and it’s an extra step to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybrand View Post
When using gps apps on your phone it will drain the battery very quickly, the new gps apps are awesome if you pack a battery pack and charger but for straight up simple reliability Garmin or equivalent gps are by the far the best tool. Working as a forester I get a pretty good idea of what works and doesn’t work and as long as you have service the apps work very well but they do glitch sometimes out of service. Using the phone apps you usually have the ability to change the map to a satellite image which is a major bonus for hunters though. I generally take both while hunting because it’s nothing to carry both and it’s an extra step to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 I always have a compass a GPS but I tend to use my ihunter more and more

Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 PM

Last Saturday I hunted sun up to sun down in temperatures ranging from -10 to 0. Phone was mainly in my pocket, but would bring it out probably at least every hour to check out the aerial imagery and to ensure I was staying on land I had permission to hunt on. It’s hard to trust the cell phone, but my old Garmin 64 cut out after two years while in the field.

Point A-B-C with a few waypoints I trust the iPhone and specially iHunter. Save money and it’s easy. For backcountry hunts for multiple days I’d bring both.

Couple phone issues however, 1) in the cold (<-10) I find the phone can die pretty quickly and 2) during slow times in a blind or stand, the phone will die quickly so bring a book instead.

Anyways, I’d say if you have a phone, grab iHunter, I think that’s all you need!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 PM

Ihunter and a compass work for me. If you use Ihunter as a compass and are looking at it constantly it runs out your battery, but if you primarily use your compass and just use ihunter to mark waypoints and check your progress every now and then it gets you through the day fine.

I just bought an external battery at the advice of a member here. Hope it will get me through 3 days of ihunter and a movie!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:11 AM

I have used a Garmin eTrex 20 for 4 years now easy to use and won't head into the bush without it. Use it for fishing streams & hiking mostly but it is excellent. Made for long battery life, tough and much better than a phone. Waterproof and it will do exactly what you want. Mark the location of your vehicle and show you the way back. These units are made for finding your way around. I also can preplan routes and upload them to my eTrex using Basecamp (a free Garmin app). Often used this feature to guide me to a spot along trails.

My unit will mark your track with a line as you walk (like breadcrumbs) showing your exact location so it is super easy to find your way back to a location even in the dark. Last year I fished a deep canyon that involved a treck on criss-cross deer trails in heavy trees and bush. Fishing late I came out at 1 in the morning easily using the unit.

I carry extra batteries but never need them as a set of AA more than last a season. Hope this helps.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 AM

I picked up the suunto traverse alpha , gps watch it will do all you need and then some . One handy little feature it will automatically record where you take a shot and plot it on your trail . It also alows you to plot things like tracks and sign . Still figuring out all the little things but for the most part pretty simple to use so far.