Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Grouse Research for Sunday's Hunt (I have to find these grouse)

After trying 406 a few times without researching grouse, i've spent this week asking questions and googling. Heres my list of pointers i've received. If anyone could address my questions or provide additional tips I would appreciate it.

1. Find aspen groves (Food source)
2. Find brush (Good cover / food source
3. Find edge cover* [Why do grouse like edge cover? doesn' it expose them?]
4. Bring a partner and both of us zig zag
5. Stop frequently
6. Go early in the morning or at dusk
7. When it's very cold the grouse like to hang out under evergreens?
8. Use a dog (unfortunately i'm a city boy in an apartment and can't have a dog)

Ok so i won't be able to drive along trails and paths cause i'm borrowing my dads vehicle and it's his baby. A lot of people recommend driving but wouldn't you miss a lot of birds that way? Or are they just so blatantly obvious anyway?

Secondly, why do grouse like edge cover? Wouldn't it expose them to predators? And if you can drive right up to them i'd assume a stealthy predator would easily crush em.

Seems like the grouse are either chilling out in the open by some brush, or they are literally hiding somewhere.

I must get these grouse this time. For my fathers honor. Back in South Africa he was a mighty hunter and now I must continue the legacy, as neither of my brothers like hunting.

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM

Default since it's not your car/truck

a extra pair comfortable hunting boots( have normal shoes driving, the i change over to boots when you hit the ground and change back to shoes for driving) , its probably a little wet and muddy . save you time and money at the car wash
ask for timing it's luck.. usually i go at 10am-2pm
Old 11-09-2018, 02:24 PM

When looking for ruffed Grouse you could look in the places listed. Another is along areas with young aspen where the new and old trees meet. Check for food sources like clover and (I am not sure of the name yet) plants on the ground with green leaves and red berries. Areas with moss and a combination of these things have produces Ruffed grouse for myself. Some of my best grouse hunting was from 12-3pm. There has always been a source of water within 1 km of every grouse I have shot. If you find a roost they generally encompass a 20km radius from the roost. ( i haven't been able to confirm this but have read it.)

Up in 406 i haven't been for a couple years but i predominately found Spruce grouse with a few ruffed here and there.

Last edited by Snm; 11-09-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
. Check for food sources like clover and (I am not sure of the name yet) plants on the ground with green leaves and red berries.
Are you referring to rosehips?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Or bearberry?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:52 PM

I have often seen them on gravel roads, gravel roads with trees that are mildly dense. Gravel for their gizzard and trees to protect them from birds of prey. In mildly dense trees with a mixture of growths. will have lots of food (clovers, berries etc) in between.

if you drive slowly you can see them if they are looking for gravel and walk around on quad trails or sometimes even just random forest.

Look out for the fools hen. you could be right in front of one and it won't move a muscle. They just blend in so well!
Old 11-09-2018, 03:40 PM

They seem to like sunny days. Theory is they can see the shadows of the predators hunting them. Birds of prey swooping in to get them.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch9000 View Post
After trying 406 a few times without researching grouse, i've spent this week asking questions and googling. Heres my list of pointers i've received. If anyone could address my questions or provide additional tips I would appreciate it.

1. Find aspen groves (Food source)
2. Find brush (Good cover / food source
3. Find edge cover* [Why do grouse like edge cover? doesn' it expose them?]
4. Bring a partner and both of us zig zag
5. Stop frequently
6. Go early in the morning or at dusk
7. When it's very cold the grouse like to hang out under evergreens?
8. Use a dog (unfortunately i'm a city boy in an apartment and can't have a dog)

Ok so i won't be able to drive along trails and paths cause i'm borrowing my dads vehicle and it's his baby. A lot of people recommend driving but wouldn't you miss a lot of birds that way? Or are they just so blatantly obvious anyway?

Secondly, why do grouse like edge cover? Wouldn't it expose them to predators? And if you can drive right up to them i'd assume a stealthy predator would easily crush em.

Seems like the grouse are either chilling out in the open by some brush, or they are literally hiding somewhere.

I must get these grouse this time. For my fathers honor. Back in South Africa he was a mighty hunter and now I must continue the legacy, as neither of my brothers like hunting.

Thank you.
Sent you a PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
Or bearberry?
This
Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Whatever you do don't put rocks in a can and sit just off a road or trail and rattle away.....or you can give it a whirl.....old native fella told me this but also asked me if I knew why golf balls get lost in the woods....cuz they are white

Good luck with your quest for bush chickens.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-10-2018, 06:40 AM

I find October to be the best month for hunting grouse. I would walk slow and be ready, they are quick and scare the crap out of you when they flush.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Whatever you do don't put rocks in a can and sit just off a road or trail and rattle away.....or you can give it a whirl.....old native fella told me this but also asked me if I knew why golf balls get lost in the woods....cuz they are white

Good luck with your quest for bush chickens.
Morning chuckle right there

Tags
fathers, grouse, honor, secrets, tips