Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Hunting pack

Just wondering what you guys use in this case. Normally I'm a general season Elk hunter and get my Elk long before snow flies, so retrieval is done with a quad. This year however I messed up with the draws and drew Nov-Dec. First outing had me getting the atv stuck so many times I gave up. So I attacked it on show shoes. Access is simple this way. Unfortunately the Elk are a ways in so it's a couple miles before I even get to them. So here's my question. I have 2 frame packs 1 is the aluminum frame and one is a soft frame. I also have a bunch of smaller fanny packs some with shoulder harnesses and some without. I also have a good day pack with internal frame. About 20L iirc. I have a gunslinger eblerstock and cheap knock off bag similar to the gunslinger. Then I have two old wolfskin Jack packs 1 90L and 1 40L from my backpacking days ( no.g time ago ;-).I also have 2 only half sleds ( pelican) that I can pull quarters out in. Here's the rub. I hate hunting with a frame pack. It's loud awkward and catches/ bangs on everything. My two frame packs I have make carrying additional gear awkward unless I put them into a smaller bag and last them to the pack. Since its quite a hike in I don't want to down a cow then have to hike out just to get a pack to start hauling in trips...too many miles :-). What do you guys do? What do you carry while hunting and how much meat carry capacity do you have for the first trip out? I'm not really looking at adding another pack. But given what I have how would you pack hunters go about this. Generally my gear I carry while hunting is. Tags,small first aid, water ( either camel back or bottle) small folding saw, deer call,rattle bag, Elk calls, knife, gloves, face mask, GPS, emergency blanket, binos, range finder,rifle,extra ammo, vet gloves, game bags, deer drag. And often a hammock seat ( dead ringer) cause I hate sitting on the cold wet ground if I decide to sit a cut line for a few hours. My usual hunting pack carries all my gear and even has extra straps to carry my rolled up coat should I start overheating. But does not have the structure for packing meat. While in no noob to hunting or hiking this particular type of hunting is something I have never done. What do you guys do for game retrieval in deep snow? Minimum work preferred:-)lol
Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 AM

I use the buddy system call my buddies to come and help LOL, as far as your big pack frame I've often thought of getting a cover made out of fleece to put over the whole frame to keep it from banging and making noise

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM

I've packed a number of elk out of the hills. Started out using an external frame pack and have gone to an internal. My current pack is a Kifaru, my hunting partner has a Horn Hunter. It is a matter of choice in that regard, but a pack of 5000 cubic inches or more is my preference.

I find elk are a minimum of 3 loads, and up to 5, depending on the size of the animal (bull versus cow, for eg). I always wear my pack and have all the essentials (game bags, knife, etc.) to break down an animal. Learn to use the gutless method - it is the simplest and most efficient method to take care of any animal to get it ready to pack. My first pack load is always the hind quarter with the tag and evidence of sex and species (if needed) and antlers/head (if needed). I leave the leg bone in on the hind quarters simply to make them easier to handle. The next loads consist of (1) hind quarter, (2 & 3) deboned front shoulder, backstrap, tenderloin and neck meat. You can split the backstraps, neck meat and tenderloins into different pack loads and sometimes make it into 3 loads total, but typically it is four.

With snow you might find it simpler to have a solid sled to load the quarters, or the entire animal, into. It all depends on the terrain, distance and snow cover. But, unless there is a good snow cover, I almost always find it easier to pack them on my back as opposed to pulling a sled.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:57 AM

For a meat hauling pack I run a 24” kifaru frame (what they used to call the duplex). It’s got a 22 mag on it that I put my gear in and usually meat in on the first load. I tried the 26” bikini and duplex frame in the past and found it to tall over my shoulders. The 24” frame isn’t an issue to wear as a day pack if I think I’m shooting something.
A few years back I ran the mystery ranch nice frame. It’s low and narrow enough as well to use as a day pack but lacked any amount of lift for me due to being such a short frame.

From what you wrote I’m guessing your not buying another pack. You need to decide if it’s less hassle packing a load out with the wrong pack, walking out to get the right pack or hunting with an unwieldy pack.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 AM

I run with an eberlestock dragonfly...handles the weight great though I find gear organization sometimes a pain. If I had your gear I’d consider loading an external frame onto the sled, day bag on my back, then I’d hike in near to where I plan on spending the day, drop, flag, and gps pin my sled someplace relatively central, then take off with my day stuff. that way when the action happens the sled is nearby and you’re not going all the way out to get it. But a sled also depends for me on how much snow there is...if it doesn’t slide freely thats a crap ton of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
For a meat hauling pack I run a 24” kifaru frame (what they used to call the duplex). It’s got a 22 mag on it that I put my gear in and usually meat in on the first load. I tried the 26” bikini and duplex frame in the past and found it to tall over my shoulders. The 24” frame isn’t an issue to wear as a day pack if I think I’m shooting something.
A few years back I ran the mystery ranch nice frame. It’s low and narrow enough as well to use as a day pack but lacked any amount of lift for me due to being such a short frame.

From what you wrote I’m guessing your not buying another pack. You need to decide if it’s less hassle packing a load out with the wrong pack, walking out to get the right pack or hunting with an unwieldy pack.
November is usually deer hunting month for me and I usually bring an extra Long crazy carpet rolled up in my pack that I've modified to tie a deer onto then I just drag it. Works great but generally my deer spots are close to roads where distances are like across a quarter instead of 2-3 miles from the road. I hate the thought of snowshoeing all the way in ( snow is knee deep already around here) then having to go all the way back out to get a pack to haul it with. Equally frustrating for me I think will be trying to bush hunt with a frame pack grabbing/ banging on everything as I go. I thought about strapping my hunting pack onto my frame pack and then ditching the frame pack somewhere in the bush so it's close if I do get an elk but then I'll have to carry a quarter+ my hunting pack out on the first trip ( probably the best way) or possibly pulling the sled in and ditching it then using it to pull a quarter out after.. or switching up my pack to one of my larger hiking packs then hauling a smaller load out on the first trek and swapping for the frame pack at the truck... I have a sled rigged up as a pulk so I can pull it hands free so that might actually be the best way... other idea was buy a skidoo......never mind wife said NO! I do have a good pair of shoulder straps ( the kind that sure used for transporting a tree stand) has anyone ever used something similar and attached them onto a quarter and carried that way? Or fashioned a travois or frame pack from nature to haul out the first load?
Old 11-08-2018, 03:58 AM

Default Great idea

I think I just came up with a winner of an idea. I have a couple of extra long crazy carpets...I punched some holes along the sides/ front and attached some tarp grommets to make a diy sked stretcher. The light sled rolls up and fits in the rifle sleeve of my gun bearer pack. It's rigged up so I can pull it hands free. I'll use this to pull at least my first load of meat out. And it weighs next to nothing to haul in so I'm not using lots of extra effort carrying it around with me.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:17 AM

I ran into the same challenge this year. Biggest realization I had was if im doing anything over night I will have horses or quads to carry my load so really a day pack with a load shelf is all I needed. Im a big framed gent and learned with my prev choice fit matters. so my top three choices were mystery ranch, kifaru, stone glacier. All make quality packs. Ended up with the Myster Ranch pop up 30. Has a shelf I put a 120lbs lady in and held well.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I think I just came up with a winner of an idea. I have a couple of extra long crazy carpets...I punched some holes along the sides/ front and attached some tarp grommets to make a diy sked stretcher. The light sled rolls up and fits in the rifle sleeve of my gun bearer pack. It's rigged up so I can pull it hands free. I'll use this to pull at least my first load of meat out. And it weighs next to nothing to haul in so I'm not using lots of extra effort carrying it around with me.
This sounds like a phenomenal idea!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 AM

I would go with a game sled rigged with a harness, or a Mystery ranch metcalf/marshall. Look for snow shoes that are very wide, not the thin ones they sell at most stores. Surplus army ones would be best for distributing the weight.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Mystery ranch Marshall is what I run. I’ve haled 2 moose 1 elk and a back country mule deer and by far it’s the best pack I’ve used. I had the eblerstock m2 transformer and a cabelas pack board but sold them both because the Marshall was a much better pack.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Every single time I tried to find a better solution than quartering and carrying it out in a proper backpack I've wasted more time and effort than it was worth.

I've been using a Mystery Ranch Metcalf for the last 2 years and it has been excellent. The new guide light frame is a great design and it is very minimal. The bag can be cinched down to a day pack size when you aren't hauling meat. If I'm hunting in the backcountry I wear my bag at all times. I also have a small 35 L day bag and I really don't notice much of a difference between it and the Metcalf as far as bulk and catching on branches and what not. If it were me, I'd consider trying a better bag than what you've used in the past, it'll probably change your mind on hunting with one.

I have also used tie downs to wrap a deer in vapour barrier material and it made dragging it much better. A travois works really well too.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Most elk/moose 1/4's on your back carry until tired, set down on log and get wind back as you walk back to pick up second load. Elk will be at truck in short order and you will not need to go to gym this Saturday. PS used this technigue when much younger and full of **** and vinegar. Lastly a good larger pair of rawhide snowshoes, good quality binding only way to go!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
Every single time I tried to find a better solution than quartering and carrying it out in a proper backpack I've wasted more time and effort than it was worth.

I've been using a Mystery Ranch Metcalf for the last 2 years and it has been excellent. The new guide light frame is a great design and it is very minimal. The bag can be cinched down to a day pack size when you aren't hauling meat. If I'm hunting in the backcountry I wear my bag at all times. I also have a small 35 L day bag and I really don't notice much of a difference between it and the Metcalf as far as bulk and catching on branches and what not. If it were me, I'd consider trying a better bag than what you've used in the past, it'll probably change your mind on hunting with one.

I have also used tie downs to wrap a deer in vapour barrier material and it made dragging it much better. A travois works really well too.

What's the big difference from say my 90L jack wolf skin pack vs the mystery ranch? My wolf skin has a top cap 70L main body ( top load) and 20L bottom ( zippered for easy access). It's an internal frame The shoulder/ hip straps are 100% adjustable for proper fit. My bag also has two large side pockets and molle type webbing to lash on extras if wanted. My only hesitation of using them are how to clean them out after.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
What's the big difference from say my 90L jack wolf skin pack vs the mystery ranch? My wolf skin has a top cap 70L main body ( top load) and 20L bottom ( zippered for easy access). It's an internal frame The shoulder/ hip straps are 100% adjustable for proper fit. My bag also has two large side pockets and molle type webbing to lash on extras if wanted. My only hesitation of using them are how to clean them out after.
Probably not much difference, your 90L sounds like an appropriate pack. If you didn't have one that size I would recommend the Mystery Ranch though.

If it fits you well, even better, don't change for the sake of change.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
if you already have a pack go ahead and give it a try. the mystery ranch packs have the main body flip down and away from the frame so you can load them up with meat and not have to take all the stuff on the inside out or have it get dirty. there also light and durable here is a photo of a mule deer, i fit the entire thing in my pack it was a bit on the heavy side.

https://imgur.com/a/RIKfMh6