Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
well you seem to want it to be a hybrid, so........ok, it's a hybrid. what changes? move on to the next thread.
Just my opinion since mule and whitetail are travelling together more then they used to
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remingtonusa View Post
I have lived on a farm over 25 years and hunted 21 years. This is just a totally different type of hair. My grandpa hunted for over 50 years and he agrees with me that it’s a hybrid and so does a taxidermist of 40 or more years.

And another taxidermist and many experienced hunters here have told you that it is Not a hybrid.

It is obvious that you are set in what you will believe.

At least take this event to learn that it is wrong to identify a hybrid by antler configuration or hair colour/texture. The only reliable way to determine a hybrid other than by DNA analysis is to compare the location and size of the tarsal glands. Take the opportunity to teach Grandpa and the old taxidermist something new to them.

What is with the desire to claim having killed a hybrid, Ego?
Do these people not realize that hybrids are genetic mutants with poor physiological deformities?
Why brag that you shot a mutant that even Fudd could kill?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I have lived on a farm over 25 years and hunted 21 years. This is just a totally different type of hair. My grandpa hunted for over 50 years and he agrees with me that it’s a hybrid and so does a taxidermist of 40 or more years.
I’m not quoting you, but it is applicable.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-10-2018, 03:27 PM

"The best feature to determine if a deer is a hybrid is the size of the metatarsal gland, which is located on the outside of the lower portion of the rear legs. This should not be confused with the tarsal glands on the inside of the legs. The metatarsals on mule deer sit high on the lower leg and are 3 to 6 inches long and surrounded by light brown fur. The whitetail’s metatarsals are at or below the mid-point of the lower leg, usually less than 1 inch, and surrounded by white hairs. A whitetail-mule deer hybrid has metatarsal glands that split the difference, usually measuring between 2-4 inches and encircled with white hair.

Biologists have documented the presence of hybrids in the wild on only a few occasions. The relative scarcity of confirmed hybrids among the hundreds of thousands of deer that have been seen throughout the area of range overlap illustrates how rare they are. Every year numerous reports are received of “hybrid” deer from hunters. Arizona researcher, Gerald Day (who produced captive hybrids) investigated over 200 reports of “hybrids” and did not find a single legitimate whitetail-mule deer hybrid. Most of these hybrid reports come from hunters who have a whitetail tag on the leg of a mule deer and are trying to convince the Game Warden that they are at least half right."

ref: https://www.coueswhitetail.com/tails...-deer-hybrids/

that deer look to me as 100% normal whitetail.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Just my opinion since mule and whitetail are travelling together more then they used to
What do you base that assertation on?

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If I wondered if I shot a hybrid I would contact the local fish and Wilflife Biologist and get the DNA tested .That is the only way to tell fir sure
Cat
Then where would be our entertainment?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What do you base that assertation on?

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM

So the only pics of the deer you have are from after you cut it's head off?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
So the only pics of the deer you have are from after you cut it's head off?
That seems to be enough for the AO experts doesn't it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
"The best feature to determine if a deer is a hybrid is the size of the metatarsal gland, which is located on the outside of the lower portion of the rear legs. This should not be confused with the tarsal glands on the inside of the legs. The metatarsals on mule deer sit high on the lower leg and are 3 to 6 inches long and surrounded by light brown fur. The whitetail’s metatarsals are at or below the mid-point of the lower leg, usually less than 1 inch, and surrounded by white hairs. A whitetail-mule deer hybrid has metatarsal glands that split the difference, usually measuring between 2-4 inches and encircled with white hair.

Biologists have documented the presence of hybrids in the wild on only a few occasions. The relative scarcity of confirmed hybrids among the hundreds of thousands of deer that have been seen throughout the area of range overlap illustrates how rare they are. Every year numerous reports are received of “hybrid” deer from hunters. Arizona researcher, Gerald Day (who produced captive hybrids) investigated over 200 reports of “hybrids” and did not find a single legitimate whitetail-mule deer hybrid. Most of these hybrid reports come from hunters who have a whitetail tag on the leg of a mule deer and are trying to convince the Game Warden that they are at least half right."

ref: https://www.coueswhitetail.com/tails...-deer-hybrids/

that deer look to me as 100% normal whitetail.
THE ABOVE MENTIONED IS THE ONLY reliable way to physically determine if your deer is a hybrid. Short of a DNA test - that's all and that's it.

Hybridisation is extremely rare as fertilisation rates are extremely low, followed by even lower rates of offspring carried to term, and coupled with significantly high rates of mutation for offspring that do make it to term resulting in extremely low rates of surviving offspring reaching maturity.

You are talking about lighting striking 3 times in a row, hitting the same tree, in the same field on the same day kinda thing (based on what I've read).
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup take a look at the tail then make a decision .
Whether or not it later tested as a true hybrid or not would make no difference to me as it was legally tagged as per the tail that the deer wore but if it did turn out to be a true hybrid it certainly would make good conversation
Cat
^^^
What he said!

We were told by a F&W officer years back to tag according to the most predominant feature......ie: the tail.

While I have not doubt hybrids happen, I can only think of one occasion where I'm 100% sure I saw a hybrid.

We have a lot of mule deer living in my small town year round and a few years back I saw a mulie doe with twins. I looked at the babies and did a double take and pulled over and stopped. I tried like hell to get some clear pictures but couldn't get a really good one. I tried a couple more times to get pictures over the next week or two but it never worked out as the only camera I have is the one on my smartphone and it doesn't take the best picutres. Then after a couple weeks I never saw them again.

This was early fall, say Sept/Oct so their spots were gone. Both bambies had identical tails. They were longer than a normal mulie tail and were dark on the outside and white on the underside like a whitetail but had a black tip on the bottom. I wanted a nice clear picture so I could ask a local F&W officer I see at the range all the time how he would recommend tagging something like that..........LOL

Oh and every time I saw them, they were not only with their mom who had a normal mulie tail, they were with a couple other does and at least one of them had twins too so I had ample comparisons when I was looking at them.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Hair is a very poor difining factor. I have very blond, very fine hair. Not bald ( yet ) but lots of hair just very, very fine. My older brother has dark, very course curly hair, very course. We have the same parents and both white males. Am I a hybrid ?? Hair means very little. Have we never seen a litter of puppies with very different hair. Please. Get the back feet and look at them.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Hair is a very poor difining factor. I have very blond, very fine hair. Not bald ( yet ) but lots of hair just very, very fine. My older brother has dark, very course curly hair, very course. We have the same parents and both white males. Am I a hybrid ?? Hair means very little. Have we never seen a litter of puppies with very different hair. Please. Get the back feet and look at them.
Ok. I have did research and found that it isn’t a hybrid. Considering he only weighed 150 pounds dressed I was wondering could it be a Coues Whitetail? I know they are a smaller body size from my research
Old 12-24-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Ok. I have did research and found that it isn’t a hybrid. Considering he only weighed 150 pounds dressed I was wondering could it be a Coues Whitetail? I know they are a smaller body size from my research
No, it's not a Coues if it was shot in Alberta.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
It wasn’t a Sitka blacktail either.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:46 AM

You sure want it to be anything but a whitetail.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
No kidding!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wow!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Exactly what do you think a dressed white tail should weigh??
Old 12-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Dude, you clearly don't sound all that experienced...

First you tried to convince us as much as yourself that it was a hybrid based on hair thickness and colour?!? lol

Now, you're trying to tell us it could be a coues deer, in Alberta, because it weighed 150lbs dressed... I shot a 167 inch whitetail here in Saskatchewan that weighed 145lbs dressed, I've also shot 140lbs spikers out east.

Just stop, please.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Exactly what do you think a dressed white tail should weigh??
I don't think he knows himself. A coues deer will rarely weigh up to 150lbs on the hoof and that would involve forgetting that coues deer roam thousands of miles away from Alberta...
Old 12-24-2018, 01:25 PM

Did this deer have a red nose? It's probably Rudolph, he's a tiny 150 lb. reindeer with a red nose that can be found anywhere in the world. Your story rates 5 lumps of coal.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:13 PM

quit feeding the troll guys
Old 12-24-2018, 02:19 PM

Default shot one

A hybrid doe about a decade ago and Red Deer F+W couldn't be bothered to come over and see it when I called them. So it got ate.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
LOL...

Priceless.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
LOL...

Priceless.
I’m talking about field dressed if you guys know what that is, not skinned and with head still attached. The way you guys talk I think I’m more experienced then you guys. I shot one once that after it was skinned and head taken off that weighed 170 pounds
Old 12-24-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Few more weeks it'll be a bear lol
Old 12-24-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I’m talking about field dressed if you guys know what that is, not skinned and with head still attached. The way you guys talk I think I’m more experienced then you guys. I shot one once that after it was skinned and head taken off that weighed 170 pounds
It’s a white tail and nothing more

Look at the range of Couse deer and it will explain why you’re catching flack
Old 12-24-2018, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Same parents? Hmmmmm.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Banned

I shot a hybrid Deer once. You know how I know it was a hybrid, because it spent the entire summer eating in a hybrid canola field!