Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 AM

Default Moose hunting WMU 531 2018

I would like to say hello to all the hunters on this forum. I am from the States
but love your Area.
I was up the year before in Ft McMurray for spring bear getting a chocolate black bear that i really wanted and 18 !/4" skull to boot!
this year moose in hunt zone 531 We got a last minute booking and hunting Oct 18-26th. off the Athabasca Region river. via spike camp and Argo/jet-boat.
My questions to you are do you think this is a decent hunting area for moose with a decent population?
Has the moose population been on a up-swing or dropping in the last 3 years?
any tips for the area would be appreciated.
I went to Newfy in 2015 in late Sept. for moose but it was the year of the super moon and 80 plus degree hunting days. i did manage to get a small bull but not what i wanted.
hoping this will be better.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:46 AM

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...urvey-2016.pdf
Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM

so is that about a half a moose per kilometer? for 2016?
I'm not sure on what its saying.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM

The report that Big Thumper posted would have me believe there are very few moose in the zone. I don’t hunt 531 but I know a couple groups that do and their success rate each year has been very high. The one group pulled a very good bull out of there last year.

The issue is access. Lots of Muskeg so an Argo is a must. I’m assuming you are hunting with a guide so they will have the gear and know where the moose hang out. I’m thinking you will have good success.

Be sure to show a pic when you get back...and welcome to AO.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
I would like to say hello to all the hunters on this forum. I am from the States
but love your Area.
I was up the year before in Ft McMurray for spring bear getting a chocolate black bear that i really wanted and 18 !/4" skull to boot!
this year moose in hunt zone 531 We got a last minute booking and hunting Oct 18-26th. off the Athabasca Region river. via spike camp and Argo/jet-boat.
My questions to you are do you think this is a decent hunting area for moose with a decent population?
Has the moose population been on a up-swing or dropping in the last 3 years?
any tips for the area would be appreciated.
I went to Newfy in 2015 in late Sept. for moose but it was the year of the super moon and 80 plus degree hunting days. i did manage to get a small bull but not what i wanted.
hoping this will be better.
I’m sure you’ll have a good hunt, your Outfitter seems like a very hard working guy.

One question I have for you though is what are you expecting for size ? You said you got a small bull in Newfoundland, but not what you wanted. If you’re looking for big moose, booking meat hunt sized moose hunts might not be the answer
Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 AM

Tork>
i was expecting a 35-40: minimum in Newfy but it was a learning experience to boot, Central Newfy isn't the best part for larger moose i know now.
i was hoping this isn't going to be a meat hunt and was told to expect a 45" or larger. 50" would be really great. am i expecting too much you all think?
we should be when not many are. Argo & jet boat to move in and out of area. 1x1 hunt to boot. I am willing to put in the time and exert energy to make a kill.
i know i wanted bigger but at a rate of 22-23-K for a Yukon hunt ,in not sure where and when that may happen.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 AM

You are heading up after the main rut and prolly catch the tail end of the second one. As fo size you can run into some decent bulls. It will be wet and you may even have snow on the ground. So some good gear that is water proof is a must. It will be thick brush. Don't expect long shots. But that being said we all hunt for the expiriance and the chase. The horns will always be the bonus imo. Go in with the expectation of putting on miles on the Argo jet boat and boots. Your guide will get you on the moose and be sure to post a story and pick when you get back.

Gbuss
Old 08-06-2018, 10:07 AM

thank you guys for any and all input. also for putting up with us comming into your area and hunting.I really do love this area and was in Quebec, Kugiacc?? about 150 mile west,for caribou 2 years ago about.the Arctic was amazing along with the solitude of the hunt.
yea the guy said snow probably, cold more than likely, believe it or not Ohio,USA by lake Erie gets colder sometimes for quite a period as your area.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 AM

Lake Erie and up I. Northern alberta will be two diffrent types of cold. One is wet and cold the other is just cold. As in you don't feel it once you hit a certain point. But you will have a great time and good memories.

Gbuss
Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 AM

Moose population in that zone is spotty. There is so much country there that the animals have the best of the best to choose from and don’t waste their time with “mediocre “ habitat. Where there is one, there is usually a few. Then, no sign till you hit the next honey hole, ten miles away. Bulls will be cruising as you’ll near the end of the rut, so bring a wheelbarrow full of patience and sit tight. Call often and let them do the walking. Trust your outfitter. Enjoy your time in the wilderness. Be careful. A serious injury is a chopper ride out of there. Our crew has had success two of the last three years in that zone. If I never hunt Alaska/Yukon moose, I’ll still die a happy man. Very grateful for the experiences I’ve had in Alberta. Best of luck on your quest.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 AM

I'd say 45"+ is not an unreasonable expectation.Cant speak personally for 531,but we hunt west of there in 532 and have taken many 50"+ over the years.Last year our hunters took a forkie,36,47 and a 55.
Biggest challenge probably is that your hunt is scheduled for a tougher time frame for calling well after the peak rut late September,and if moose density is low in your area,any second rut will be weak at best,if at all if all the local cows got bred on time in Sept.....on the other hand,I've played with a big 55+ bull in late October cpl years ago that came to cow calls and responded very aggressively to raking,WOW was he wound up!! Lol fun stuff!! 😝
I guess the point being,in Sept you would have a lot better opportunities to call to more responsive bulls and the chance to look over a few in search of a trophy vs late October you might not have the chance to be so picky and you accept that the meat bull you pass on might be the only one you get a crack at?

Last edited by West O'5; 08-06-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 AM

October 13th moose from adjacent area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04FA78C1-FFB2-4889-936D-8BB46A260735.jpg (45.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM

that's a fine bull to represent Alberta in my opinion!
did you get a measurement of him and was that last year?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:03 PM

The 531 wmu ( Birch Mountain) is a very isolated northern moose zone in Alberta. It will tend to have higher bull/cow ratio so you will have good chance on larger bull as does not have hunting pressure by us locals. Your big unknown is how active the wolves were last winter.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
The 531 wmu ( Birch Mountain) is a very isolated northern moose zone in Alberta. It will tend to have higher bull/cow ratio so you will have good chance on larger bull as does not have hunting pressure by us locals. Your big unknown is how active the wolves were last winter.

If WMU 530 across the river is any indication of the wolf population then there will be no shortage. I’ve spent quite a few days out and about in 530 and the wolf population is pretty healthy. Get out of the Muskeg and on firm ground and you will see sign. Heck, they are even spotted regularly on site at Fort Hills chasing the few deer there are in the area around.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Tork>
i was expecting a 35-40: minimum in Newfy but it was a learning experience to boot, Central Newfy isn't the best part for larger moose i know now.
i was hoping this isn't going to be a meat hunt and was told to expect a 45" or larger. 50" would be really great. am i expecting too much you all think?
we should be when not many are. Argo & jet boat to move in and out of area. 1x1 hunt to boot. I am willing to put in the time and exert energy to make a kill.
i know i wanted bigger but at a rate of 22-23-K for a Yukon hunt ,in not sure where and when that may happen.
I don’t think you’re too far off the mark. I would say the majority of the bulls killed in and around that area would be 40” plus. 45-50” is possible for sure, but I wouldn’t say it’s the norm.
As long as you’re not going in thinking a 55 inch, 200” plus B&C bull is a slam dunk you shouldn’t be disappointed. Some people have unrealistic expectations for these hunts
Old 08-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
that's a fine bull to represent Alberta in my opinion!
did you get a measurement of him and was that last year?
Not as big as It looks. Just shy of 50”. 25 points. And that was 5 or 6 seasons ago

Despite being big , old and on the down swing , it tasted great.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 PM

it seems to have plenty of wolves and if i'm correct they have value. Trapping them in remotes area very difficult?
You was mentioning to getting on sold ground ,was that for the moose you was referring to? at this time of season in Mid-Late Oct. Best bet to hunt feeding ares for the bulls?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 AM

I have a large WMU map of Alberta with all the Boon & Crocket moose marked on it. You will be hunting near one of the top 5 B & C areas in the province. If you PM me I will provide more details.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:22 AM

PM sent
Old 08-08-2018, 06:19 PM

last question i hope. is there a butcher that cuts up wild game in Ft. McMurray area? would anyone know what may be the best way to get the cut meat, and hopefully vacuum sealed meat home? Northern Ohio by lake Erie area.
any trucking firms you know of running to the states ...
or other options
If Big grey Wolf is reading i sent a PM but it tells me i sent no messages.

Thanks>Ron
Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
last question i hope. is there a butcher that cuts up wild game in Ft. McMurray area? would anyone know what may be the best way to get the cut meat, and hopefully vacuum sealed meat home? Northern Ohio by lake Erie area.
any trucking firms you know of running to the states ...
or other options
If Big grey Wolf is reading i sent a PM but it tells me i sent no messages.

Thanks>Ron
Premium meats is still cutting meat as far as I know
Cat
Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 PM

thanks, is that right in town?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
thanks, is that right in town?
Yes two locations Timberlea and downtown
Cat
Old 08-08-2018, 07:15 PM

As Cat said Premium Meats is still taking wild game and they do a good job. They have two locations but it is just the one down town that was taking wild game last year.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:14 AM

Thank you guys. i will contact them prior to comming "Just"
In case i get one.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Post Moose down?

Well your hunt is now over and hopefully your hunt was a success....any luck?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Exactly hopefully you got one, tough time of year to hunt though I never like guiding that time of year for moose.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 PM

PM sent to Ronaround. See if we get a response..
Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 AM

Talked on forum with Ron a few times, he had a tough hunt in 531 but both he and his guide worked hard, thats why they call it hunting. Fellow trappers in area said moose levels were down quite significantly.