Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

Default Posting Other People's Land

I thought that this was pretty funny so I figured that I'd share.

Earlier this week I noticed a dugout where beavers were destroying all of the trees around it so I dropped in at the landowner's home quarter to see if he wanted me to thin them out. I met with a very nice couple in their 80's and during our conversation I asked if it'd be okay to shoot a deer in the back forty if I happened to see one. He asked me if I had seen the signs back there, which I hadn't. He then goes on to tell me that he gave his neighbour across the street permission to hunt the 50 or so acres of bush and the neighbour took it upon himself to put up a half dozen "No Hunting" signs.......lol. Pretty ballsy if you ask me.

Anyway, I told the landowner that I didn't want to cause any issues with his neighbour and that I wouldn't bother with it. He told me no, go right ahead, and gave me permission to hunt the field west of the patch of bush where the other fella is hunting and another patch of bush on the other side of the field. It's basically the other fella on one quarter and me on the adjoining one.

I'm not going to go out of my way to hunt there but if I'm checking my beaver traps an hour before last light I may just end up sitting on that field out of convenience to get myself a deer. I wonder how any interaction with this fella will go......lol.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:50 PM

I have seen “No hunting, no trespassing” signs on crown land that surrounds 2 and a half quarters of private property. Also know a place where a dude periodically blocks a quad trail that is on crown land not far from his property.

Also went on a two-week canoe trip in northern Ontario a few years ago. Most of the crown land was “posted”, with many old broken signs around, lol. On the very first day of the trip, a dude purposefully sped up on his fair size boat coming towards us and made a few turns in order to create more and larger waves. We were pretty heavy loaded in the canoes, so it didn’t bother us, but I am sure someone lighter with less experience would have turned over. The rest of the trip was great though! Really hope to be able to do it again one day. Northern Ontario is pretty great.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:39 PM

I used to hunt a natural area when I was a novice hunter and shot a buck one day, I guess I made a bad shot and I also made the mistake of taking after it almost right away... Ended up back to my truck to drive above the river valley, looking for magpies or crows ect. While I was guessing a men pulled up and asked what I was up to. I told him my situation and he proceeded to tell me that it was his land and accused me of trespassing. Being a younger man with not a whole lot of confidence, I asked for permission to retrieve the deer. He said no. I checked with my dad who showed me the spot and he was very confident. So much that he convinced me to call the f &w officer who came out and investigated the situation. He agreed that I was in the right and proceeded to help me find the deer for a few hours. He said that they have a few landowners that bluff about that too help keep the spots to themself.... I never found that buck as all the snow melted that afternoon while I sorted myself out.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:25 PM

I have a good permission, someone was poaching on the land and actually put up a sign suggesting he was an official and telling me that hunting was not permitted. After I found out he was poaching I ran him off...people do strange things indeed.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:31 AM

Man, I only hunt public land, but hearing some of this private land bs I think I would just want to pummel some mother ****er who gets in my way and deal with the assault charge later. I grow weary of the rules of engagement. We need a wild west rest.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:30 AM
Banned

Around here it’s not a huge issue with getting permission to hunt someone’s land if no one else is, especially if you do them favours like trapping nuisance beavers for them. I’m the eyes and ears for a lot of landowners around here and 99 out of 100 times it’s a relative that just goes on the land to hunt without permission. After all, Uncle Joe isn’t going to press trespassing charges and it’s not much of a big deal to him anyway when I tell him.

This posting of the old couple’s land has me thinking that the neighbour is kind of taking advantage of the elderly couple though. I’m thinking that if the old fella was younger he might be asking him what gives him the right to post land that he doesn’t own. I could tell that he wasn’t really happy with it but it’s probably not something that you want to deal with when you are +80 years old.

Maybe I’m reading things wrong and the neighbour is a great guy but it seems to me like he’s taking advantage of the old couple a little bit by claiming their land as his own hunting area. It’s not something that I’d do without discussing it with the landowner and getting permission to do it.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:20 AM

In my younger days of guiding I worked with a Outfitter in Eastern Alberta that would carry around no trespassing signs and put them up I could write a book about some Outfitters in Alberta I was pretty young at the time and didn't think much about it LOL.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Man, I only hunt public land, but hearing some of this private land bs I think I would just want to pummel some mother ****er who gets in my way and deal with the assault charge later. I grow weary of the rules of engagement. We need a wild west rest.
You sound like a azz clown who shouldn’t be carrying a firearm. Then some wonder why it’s hard to get access from landowners on private property.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:39 AM

Sir, I said pummel not shoot. Let’s not under estimate the cathardic value to both participants of a good ‘ol dust up. Who said I own a firearm, you leftest, liberal gun-hating shill! I’m just an aggressive bow hunter.

Ps I don’t deny that I may be an azz clown as I’m not sure what it is?
Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Sir, I said pummel not shoot. Let’s not under estimate the cathardic value to both participants of a good ‘ol dust up. Who said I own a firearm, you leftest, liberal gun-hating shill! I’m just an aggressive bow hunter.

TOOL that’s what you are.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:

You do know that a Bow is still classified as a firearm right! Need I say more about your ignorance. It’s best you stay in the city.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I had permission on land before that wasn't posted etc, one year about mid season all theses signs started popping up so I called the owner and he had no clue what the heck was going on.....so finally our paths cross and these hammerheads found this land, posted it, set up ground blinds and low and behold had not gained permission....I made a call and I was back to sole hunting rights again....some people just don't get it....oh well....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-03-2018, 10:22 AM

I have permission on 5 quarters of land that I worked very hard to acquire and I put up no trespassing signs on the entry areas to those fields.The farmers were more than happy with this because it deters people from driving out in the fields.There is a real worry about clubroot disease in canola and how it can transfer from field to field.I have never driven these fields and thats how I keep the opportunity to hunt them.The owners let people hunt other land they own and ask that those that get permission to stay away from the land that I posted.I dont see how this is such a bad thing as everyone makes it out to be.By the way there are still ignorant people that choose to ignore these signs and drive and thats why "hunters" get a bad rap.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I have permission on 5 quarters of land that I worked very hard to acquire and I put up no trespassing signs on the entry areas to those fields.The farmers were more than happy with this because it deters people from driving out in the fields.There is a real worry about clubroot disease in canola and how it can transfer from field to field.I have never driven these fields and thats how I keep the opportunity to hunt them.The owners let people hunt other land they own and ask that those that get permission to stay away from the land that I posted.I dont see how this is such a bad thing as everyone makes it out to be.By the way there are still ignorant people that choose to ignore these signs and drive and thats why "hunters" get a bad rap.
I think you're overlooking the other posters are noting instances when others posted land that wasn't theirs WITHOUT the landowners permission. Of course it's OK to do so when you actually have the landowners permission, that's another thing entirely. The trespassing and fraud part by those with neither permission to be on the land nor authority to post signage tends to be frowned upon, much like if some stranger entered my yard to use my BBQ and lounge about in my muskoka chairs while instructing my own family and guests to leave.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
You do know that a Bow is still classified as a firearm right! Need I say more about your ignorance. It’s best you stay in the city.
Deepest apologies for detail but what law classifies a bow as a firearm? Not Federal as one doesn't need a PAL, not hunting regs af bow and firearm are separate seasons with you not allowed to use a firearm in bow season/areas, and some municipal9allow bow hunting but not firearms.

As for original topic, if signs suddenly pop up on land I have permission on I will ask the landowner if he put signs up or if he wants them up. It is is his/her land and his/her rules. Pretty simple.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Just wanted others to read this again. Made my day.

Well played RZR....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-03-2018, 07:36 PM

I used to hunt farmland almost exclusively and had a lot of success, good relationships with land owners etc.. but too many times I would have some punk come driving up to me accusing me of trespassing on "their land". Then when you press them on the topic, they were just local hunters who themselves were there without permission and trying to scare anyone they could off their perceived hunting land. I hunted with a fellow on this forum one year that ,it seemed his whole goal in life was to lock up as many farmers as he could from here to Saskatchewan just in case someone else might snag a perceived hot spot before he didHe had more supposed exclusive land permission than he could hunt in 2 lifetimes

I only hunt crown land now . I would rather go home empty handed than deal with all the crap you must go through with all the territorial little weasels out there in farm country. I've been out very little this year due to health issues but it's been a great experience each time.I even have a few chickens in the freezer
Old 11-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Caber understood it. If you get permission on someone’s land you are there as their guest. I think that posting someone else’s land without discussing it with the them first is just plain rude and taking advantage of ones hospitality. I’ll bet if the fella wasn’t +80 years old he’d have something to say about it.

I’ve been challenged many times for being on someone’s land and I’ve challenged many people if I don’t know who they are. That’s just neighbours looking after neighbours......nothing personal......that’s just how it works around here.

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-03-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I think you are confusing "weapon" with "firearm".
A bow is not a firearm.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Off topic but I think that by Alberta law (hunting regs) anything that can send a projectile is considered a firearm. This is provincial and (I think) for the purpose of sunrise sunset. I could be wrong (but that's pretty rare), check the regs or with F&W.
Doug
Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I think you are confusing "weapon" with "firearm".
A bow is not a firearm.
👌. I don't need a pal for my bow.....not a firearm...any one can walk into a store and buy a bow....not a firearm.....
Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

What is a azz clown? Does he resemble a rump rider? Just curious is all so I can make my own judgement on who's what.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:05 PM

oops, I made a mistake, (don't tell my wife) . A bow is considered a weapon not a firearm by Alberta regs. The regs simply say you should be aware of the federal firearms laws, which have nothing to do with provincial hunting regs.
And yes, this year we saw a No Trespassing sign that was not put there by the owner. I suspect it was posted by the neighbor in a house that is not easily seen from the road, and across the back property line.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
👌. I don't need a pal for my bow.....not a firearm...any one can walk into a store and buy a bow....not a firearm.....
Interestingly , you don't need a pal to buy a flintlock BP rifle either , not considered a firearm. I could be wrong on this but am retty sure I am not.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
you leftest, liberal gun-hating shill!
Not sure how 'leftism' or liberalism has anything to do with how to handle ones self in the bush with poachers/*******ery on public or private land.

Also pretty sure that somebody's opinion that you shouldn't act irresponsibly in order to make us look bad to the general public, has anything to do with politics or firearms in general, either.

We don't need any more negative publicity with regards to responsible firearm ownership and hunting practice, and politic agenda. IMO firearm and hunting discussions should be agnostic of politics unless the discussion is about petitioning. Either way, this topic is not it.

I lean left and I love hunting and the outdoors, and appreciate firearms as a tool for a job. Pretty sick of political support being used in a derogatory manner and the assumption of left/right/center/free/anarchy being attributed to personality.

Also, if you accuse me of being 'triggered', whatever that is nowadays, you're just proving my point.

Apologies for going off-topic with this rant.

Now, the topic.
I think the signs could be one of 2 things. Either they're taking advantage of the old peeps and claiming it all to themselves, or they think they're doing the couple a favor by keeps miscreants out of their land. Either way, maybe it warrants eyes in the back of your head and a cool temperament.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Due to some unfortunate events (poaching and then some) that took place yesterday on one of the properties I have permission to hunt on, the owner asked me to put up some "no trespassing" and "no hunting" signs. He is away for a while and is unable to do so himself. This is very unfortunate and I can't say i agree with the decision, but it isn't mine to make.

I was wondering if someone could inform me on where I can find these signs? I don't believe I have ever seen them anywhere but the posted properties, lol. Would Home Hardware have something like that?
Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Due to some unfortunate events (poaching and then some) that took place yesterday on one of the properties I have permission to hunt on, the owner asked me to put up some "no trespassing" and "no hunting" signs. He is away for a while and is unable to do so himself. This is very unfortunate and I can't say i agree with the decision, but it isn't mine to make.

I was wondering if someone could inform me on where I can find these signs? I don't believe I have ever seen them anywhere but the posted properties, lol. Would Home Hardware have something like that?
Any hardware store will have them .
However UFA would be a great place to start
Cat
Old 11-07-2018, 07:03 PM

We were out last weekend talking to a landowner where we have had permission for quite a few years. He told us yes, no problem I like you guys but just ignore the no hunting, no trespassing signs. He indicated a local outfitter who he had not given permission to had put up the signs and he was in the process of taking them down and kept finding new ones, the guy owns about 5 sections and indicated he was pretty ****ed that the guy had posted just about his entire property.