Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Bipod or shooting sticks?

Contemplating whether to buy a set of shooting sticks or a bipod for a steadier shot in the field. The thing I like about bipods is the convince of not having to lug around sticks then having to grab them and set them up. Thinking of getting a 13-27” bipod, although I’m unsure if that’s tall enough to take a kneeling shot, if need be. Looking for some feedback pack, like pro and cons of each.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Just make yourself as set out of Birch are one by 2s work really good with the screw through the middle

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 07:23 PM

For me sticks less then 300y. Bipod sitting over 300y. I haven’t seen a bipod tall enough for kneeling. I guess you could make the legs longer. As long as they don’t go in front of the barrel and you shoot then when folded
Old 11-05-2018, 07:32 PM

They do make an extra-long Harris bipod I have one that you can shoot sitting down or kneeling down

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 07:40 PM

I prefer the trigger sticks tripod. It is quicker to adjust than any bipod, and it can be used kneeling, sitting or standing. It also works well in deep snow.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM

Get yourself a set of walking sticks with the wrist straps. The straps make a nice rest when the sticks are crossed and an added bonus is they will help with your walking. Adjustable for any height.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 PM

I use a bipod for sitting shots coyote hunting. Sometimes I take the shooting stick while deer hunting but haven’t lately, hunting to much bush. Shots are around 100 yards and that’s still the odd time.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Banned

I don't like sitting or laying on the ground especially in the winter or when there is a lot of scrub brush so for me it is 3 legged sticks or my Deadshot Fieldpod for sure. I can't walk a bunch anymore so most of my hunting is done in blind, if you are walking a lot your choice might be different.

Trigger sticks are pretty slick when it comes to setup but I have never actually used them. What ever you get I would get something with at least 3 legs if your looking for real steady.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:04 PM

A short bipod along with a monopod is my preferred setup for all rifle hunting.Yes, I do have to pick my places from where to shoot from.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:36 PM

I use DIY brand. Quite effective. Models include, Fencepost, Tree, and Freehand.

Grow up in Sask. I dont think I ever shot or shot at anything that wasnt running and I can count on one hand how often I used 2 of the 3 models listed above.

Come to think of it I dont recall rangefinders, scopes over 4 power, camo, guns larger than 30-06, and ihunter apps.

How did we ever manage to eat?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I use DIY brand. Quite effective. Models include, Fencepost, Tree, and Freehand.

Grow up in Sask. I dont think I ever shot or shot at anything that wasnt running and I can count on one hand how often I used 2 of the 3 models listed above.

Come to think of it I dont recall rangefinders, scopes over 4 power, camo, guns larger than 30-06, and ihunter apps.

How did we ever manage to eat?
I grew up in Ab & shot some iron also, everything else similar. Now I use sticks a bit, like 'em!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 PM

I carry shooting sticks with me but definitely prefer to lay down and use my backpack as a rest if it allows. If find it much easier to control my breathing and steady myself when laying down.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I grew up in Ab & shot some iron also, everything else similar. Now I use sticks a bit, like 'em!
I pick up a branch with a fork in it...the odd time a person has actual time to deploy of course. If only hunting was what I witness on Wild TV and there was time to rustle up a bowl of Kraft dinner, scratch my butt, adjust the selfie stick, and grab 40 winks prior to pulling the trigger.

" ok Bob. You've got a moose broadside at 100 yards. Adjust your 6-25 military optic 1 moa up and 4 moa right." " Hold up Bob. Wind shifted. Make that 3.72641 moa right."

Know what would be interesting? Finding out how many times today's hunters/shooters actually pull the trigger with their gun not resting on something. I'd bet it's a very low percentage.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Know what would be interesting? Finding out how many times today's hunters/shooters actually pull the trigger with their gun not resting on something. I'd bet it's a very low percentage.

I can only remember once that I took a offhand shot on a big game animal and this was the result.

OP I prefer a bipod. It’s almost always on my rifle, it’s even on my rifle now as it sits in my safe. I’ve run the same 13-27” Harris for close to 20 years. Never once has it been a hindrance but it’s helped me many times.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:31 PM

the 13-27 is not quite enough for a kneeling shot. i use them on all my guns and even though the deer gun is mostly shot off hand at fairly close quarters i like having the bipod available for quick setup if a longer shot is warranted. i am lucky to be spry enough that if its wet conditions and i dont want to get my pants wet i can cross my legs and sit on the side of my boots while i steady the bipod and take the shot.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-05-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I pick up a branch with a fork in it...the odd time a person has actual time to deploy of course. If only hunting was what I witness on Wild TV and there was time to rustle up a bowl of Kraft dinner, scratch my butt, adjust the selfie stick, and grab 40 winks prior to pulling the trigger.

" ok Bob. You've got a moose broadside at 100 yards. Adjust your 6-25 military optic 1 moa up and 4 moa right." " Hold up Bob. Wind shifted. Make that 3.72641 moa right."

Myself and a friend accompanied a fellow who was hunting moose with a heavy barreled rifle, with Huskemaw scope and bipod. Two moose stood 50 yards away, and I jumped out and set up my trigger sticks tripod, but he insisted on laying prone in the snow, to use the bipod. But when he got down prone, he couldn't see the moose that were below us in a depression. After what seemed like a three ring circus, with a lot of yelling and several rounds fired, the moose finally hit the ground 400 yards away, six feet from the bush. A month later I was helping a friend to fill my moose tag with a partner license, I set up the tripod, my friend rested his gun on it, and one shot later, the moose was dead. So much less drama, because my friend was open to using whatever equipment made his task easiest. It was only the second shot he had taken at a big game animal, but he remained calm, and didn't panic.
As for resting a rifle while hunting, I probably do so around 80% of the time, as do my hunting partners.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 PM

I like either a compact,telescoping monopod that I wear on my hip,or the folding/shock cord style shooting sticks that carry in a nylon holster.
I’m mostly a bush hunter and I’d guess 90% or more of the animals I’ve taken have been <100y and offhand,or maybe leaning against a convenient tree....but if I’m coyote hunting or sitting on stand watching a field/cutblock/seismic line wutever....where shots can be a lot longer,I’ll set up the sticks or monopod ahead of time.
Again,I’m a bush stillhunter at heart and mobile,so I like something compact and liteweight,and if a shot presents itself that is longer then I’m comfortable with taking offhand,there’s usually plenty of time to deploy the sticks or mono.
I’ve never owned nor have any desire to own a bipod,they just seem to me to be too cumbersome and added weight on the end of my rifle,not really ideal nor even necessary for most of my preferred habitat and style of hunting.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy123 View Post
Contemplating whether to buy a set of shooting sticks or a bipod for a steadier shot in the field. The thing I like about bipods is the convince of not having to lug around sticks then having to grab them and set them up. Thinking of getting a 13-27” bipod, although I’m unsure if that’s tall enough to take a kneeling shot, if need be. Looking for some feedback pack, like pro and cons of each.
I built shooting sticks for my daughter, 5/8 dowels 4ft long, a wing nut, washer, bolt and string. Under 15 bucks and she's able to adjust height from sitting to kneeling and it's high enough to shoot out of the blind as well.

I was gonna buy her something but this is way better and cheaper and will last longer.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:01 PM

i have a bogpog tripod for when im sitting on the edge of fields. cant get any steadier than that.

when walking i shoot offhand, or off the closest tree.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Myself and a friend accompanied a fellow who was hunting moose with a heavy barreled rifle, with Huskemaw scope and bipod. Two moose stood 50 yards away, and I jumped out and set up my trigger sticks tripod, but he insisted on laying prone in the snow, to use the bipod. But when he got down prone, he couldn't see the moose that were below us in a depression. After what seemed like a three ring circus, with a lot of yelling and several rounds fired, the moose finally hit the ground 400 yards away, six feet from the bush. A month later I was helping a friend to fill my moose tag with a partner license, I set up the tripod, my friend rested his gun on it, and one shot later, the moose was dead. So much less drama, because my friend was open to using whatever equipment made his task easiest. It was only the second shot he had taken at a big game animal, but he remained calm, and didn't panic.
As for resting a rifle while hunting, I probably do so around 80% of the time, as do my hunting partners.

I think I've shot at one animal from the prone position. Opportunities just haven't presented themselves very often but I know of what you speak regarding line of sight when doing so. Probably why I just prefer to stand. If there's time to use the sling under the elbow and tight I find that helps a lot.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 PM

I'm sold on the two legged Trigger sticks.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Show me 2 moose at 50 yards and shooting offhand one or both would be on the ground leaking before buddy could even deploy his bipod.😜
Old 11-06-2018, 12:02 AM

Count me for team bipod. I use the kind that are adjustable shooting sticks, not the type that screws into your swivel mount. Slower to deploy but more flexible and you can still sling your rifle while carrying it. I think kneeling/seated shots are usually best since like elkhunter11 mentions lying down can lead to a catastrophic loss of visibility even if it's the most stable position. The 13"-27" you mention is the right size for this kind of shooting in my experience.

I find they are a great insurance policy for accuracy. A lot of field shots are taken in worse conditions than our practice shots (out of breath, elevation differences, it's always foggier, etc.) and shot placement is everything. Even before I got a bipod I tried to only take supported shots and this lets you take one from anywhere without needing to shoot from a tree or fenceline.

The con as people have mentioned is that they can be slow to deploy and it's another thing to carry. For me that puts the balance squarely towards carrying one. I hope the chorus of this thread convinces anyone considering it to try one too.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:48 AM

Yes people have had losses shooting prone position- myself included. But i bet in open farm and grass land more people have missed when rushing shots off by shooting freehand. Find a rest to steady the barrel. Think on your feet what you have time for. If you dont have time free hand it is.

Bipod is fine in open farmland deer hunting, cant really comment for forest. In the open land bipod works if there is 6" of snow or less. Anything deeper for snow use shooting sticks. Remember either waythe feet are like needles in snow.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:01 AM

I bought Bogpod bipod this year.....best $69 I ever spent.

Can be used from sitting to standing....

Made 536 yard sitting shot on Antelope. 1 shot DRT.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Show me 2 moose at 50 yards and shooting offhand one or both would be on the ground leaking before buddy could even deploy his bipod.😜
Both of us felt the same, but when the shooter insisted on a rest, I set up my triggersticks. Unfortunately, the shooter had been watching too much best of the west, and had to twist his turrets on the Huskemaw, and shoot prone off of the bipod. Of course he was also shooting HSM factory loads with Berger bullets, which blew up badly at close range. I was trying to calm things down, as my friend was urging the shooter to shoot, and the shooter, was trying to set up, as if it was a 500 yard shot. It was actually entertaining to watch the other two.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:52 AM

I would take a bipod and rear bag any day over sticks. But unfortunately in the field shot opportunities don't arise to use this equipment often. So I take both. Leave the bipod on my gun and also take my trigger stick tripod.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 AM

I built my own bipod, total weight is less than 6 ounces. I like them a lot.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 AM

I have a home made set of bypods along with a few sets of rifle mounted units.

We switched over to these for this years harvest in the North. Super fast and a solid rest to get some of the shots off.

https://youtu.be/MPBQWpYIwwk
Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 AM

I've got a monopod trigger stick that is tall enough to use for a standing shot, and short enough to kneel. Its also really solid if you sit cutlines and are sitting where you can lean back against a tree to steady your body. Great for anything out to at least 300 yards. Any more than that and I'll use my pack or three legged stool as a bipod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31cE6GTqDVL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (7.7 KB, 31 views)