Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 AM

Default Transporting your game home

Hunter under fire for displaying deer carcass on back of truck

http://flip.it/HSb.Z4

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 AM

I've always not tried to conceal it but I didn't try to display it like this either

Old 11-07-2018, 06:38 AM

I like to keep my animals covered, just to keep them clean. Perhaps this is his first game animal, and he wants everyone to see it?
Old 11-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup given the way the world is going the city folk take pics and go on a social media rampage while the same truck pulls into a remote garage and the people all gather and talk hunting.....know your people and your audience before tramping around with a fresh kill I guess.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-07-2018, 07:26 AM

I like to take a victory lap up main street.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I like to take a victory lap up main street.
With it tied to the front of the hood LOL I do remember those days in the 70s

Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Whats are people complaining about, that's not a bad deer. Full body, good size. Seems everyone only wants to see trophy bucks these days.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM

that's a little over the top
Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Whats are people complaining about, that's not a bad deer. Full body, good size. Seems everyone only wants to see trophy bucks these days.
Don't think anyone's complaining about the size of the deer the post is about transporting it

Old 11-07-2018, 07:52 AM

The box had a quad in it and other stuff. This is a story about nothing except that some snowflake was offended. Back in the day.....way back...... it wasn't uncommon for guys to lash a deer down to the hood of their car and take some victory laps. This was a time before quads were invented and even pickup trucks were uncommon. Nothing here...
Old 11-07-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The box had a quad in it and other stuff. This is a story about nothing except that some snowflake was offended. Back in the day.....way back...... it wasn't uncommon for guys to lash a deer down to the hood of their car and take some victory laps. This was a time before quads were invented and even pickup trucks were uncommon. Nothing here...
Exactly. I think even some hunters nowadays are becoming snowflakes. Jeeze people. His truck box was full so he left it on the hoist. Some hero took a pic of this fellas transporting method and obviously put it on social media and the news caught wind of it more than likely.

Take me back to the 70's and early 80's please Mcfly...
Old 11-07-2018, 08:06 AM

The simple fact is that we are under more and more pressure from the anti hunting crowd, and as their numbers grow, it will just get more difficult for all hunters. So why give the anti hunting crowd even more to rant on about, this will have the same effect, as the idiots posting the spear hunt online. I am certainly not ashamed to be a hunter, but we need to use a little common sense , and not bring any more negative attention on hunting.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Its not the 60's or 70's anymore buddy. It may be the only way he had to transport the deer but its a bad way to parade around town with your game even if you are going directly home to skin it. Why not throw the deer on the quad and tarp it or put it beside quad instead of hoist on your hitch?

That being said I I don't really have any issues with it, it just makes hunters look ignorant to the general public.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 AM

If you do transport a deer through a city, be sure to wrap it in saran wrap and put it on a styrofoam tray. It's the only way some people can handle looking at meat.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:28 AM

I’d like say what I think here, but it’d probably get me in trouble.

I got nothing to say..........

There are no absolutes
Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 AM

just a little close to the exhaust for me . Not a terrible idea though . Now that I have a quad and no trailer yet Ive been wondering how to haul myself .
Old 11-07-2018, 08:42 AM

Dont see how this is much different than a livestock truck driving down the road. Those cute snuggley pigs or cows arent going on vacation..

People are SOOOOOOOOO detached about meat and where it comes from that I think they feel a a nice Steak is grown from a tree and Bacon on a vine. It is an inconvenient truth that they will never spend 30 seconds thinking about.

AS hunters we remove the middle man.

Field to table, as it should be.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 AM

This isn't rocket science. C'mon. The reaction would have been the same if he had a steer hanging like that. Or chickens, or a hog, or whatever.

You honestly expect some mom in her minivan with her kids to pull up at a stop light behind that and not think "FFS, can you figure some other option out dude?"

Sometimes as hunters, we have to stop jumping to the "we're the victim" and admit that as much as other people have to accept our right to hunt, we don't have to put it, literally, right in their face.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
This isn't rocket science. C'mon. The reaction would have been the same if he had a steer hanging like that. Or chickens, or a hog, or whatever.

You honestly expect some mom in her minivan with her kids to pull up at a stop light behind that and not think "FFS, can you figure some other option out dude?"

Sometimes as hunters, we have to stop jumping to the "we're the victim" and admit that as much as other people have to accept our right to hunt, we don't have to put it, literally, right in their face.
This Exactly!

I believe this guy knew he was going to get the attention he's getting.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:59 AM

I don't know what you guys think but couldn't this be solved by wrapping it with a tarp...
Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 AM

Haha. Back in the day when my dad and uncles would get back from there moose hunting trips they would hit the bar before home. Moose on flat deck trailer parked outside the bar. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
lol, I would be more than satisfied with it!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:52 AM

People need to quit telling other people how to live and what they can do. For me,I would have laid it over the quad and cover it up. Once it was cooled off.
No different than all the firearms garbage out there.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
People need to quit telling other people how to live and what they can do. For me,I would have laid it over the quad and cover it up. Once it was cooled off.
No different than all the firearms garbage out there.
Are you including yourself because i believe you just told people to quit telling people what to do......
Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 AM

So we need to protect mom's and kids in mini vans from seeing this type of thing? My wife and kids (and now G-kids) have help me butcher pigs, cows, and chickens on the farm, and wild game in the bush their whole lives. We transport butcher animals up and down roads all the time. My kids have turned out just fine, and I will never tell them to hide who we are because other people can't handle it. Maybe we should be fighting for, instead of trying to cover up our life style.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM

I would be wrapping that buck, whether it was hanging on the hoist, on a travel receiver rack, in a trailer or in the box on top of the quad.
Nothing to do with peoples' perception of me or hunters in general, simply to keep the road salt, dirt and exhaust fumes off the meat.
Cat
Old 11-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
So we need to protect mom's and kids in mini vans from seeing this type of thing?
Yes, because at the end of day public relations matter especially with so many anti-gun/hunting people around.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
So we need to protect mom's and kids in mini vans from seeing this type of thing? My wife and kids (and now G-kids) have help me butcher pigs, cows, and chickens on the farm, and wild game in the bush their whole lives. We transport butcher animals up and down roads all the time. My kids have turned out just fine, and I will never tell them to hide who we are because other people can't handle it. Maybe we should be fighting for, instead of trying to cover up our life style.
Does the average person on the Anthony Henday or the Whitemud, see butchered animals on their way home from work? Am I missing something? That's the kind of road way it looks to me. Look, I'm not saying the guy should be arrested, or even fined, but for pete's sake, put a tarp on it, or figure something out.

Are we going to be so stubborn that we are going to suggest that every hunter hang their game vertically behind their vehicle to make a point? To "desensitize" the wimpy city folk?

Good luck with that. I hunt, I butcher, and even I don't want get stuck behind that in traffic on the way home.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The simple fact is that we are under more and more pressure from the anti hunting crowd, and as their numbers grow, it will just get more difficult for all hunters. So why give the anti hunting crowd even more to rant on about, this will have the same effect, as the idiots posting the spear hunt online. I am certainly not ashamed to be a hunter, but we need to use a little common sense , and not bring any more negative attention on hunting.
WRONG. Why do people continually repeat this nonsense and even present it as fact?

The fact is that the vast majority of Canadians support hunting for food. Trophy hunting has little support but hunting for food is strongly supported.

There are numerous studies and polls that support what I've stated. I'd be interested in seeing where you are getting the facts to support your statements.

Here's a poll that was conducted in BC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ests-1.2441620
Old 11-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
Are you including yourself because i believe you just told people to quit telling people what to do......
What took you so long? 7 minutes for that comment. I expected AO folks to jump on that one faster. LOL

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff