Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The simple fact is that we are under more and more pressure from the anti hunting crowd, and as their numbers grow, it will just get more difficult for all hunters. So why give the anti hunting crowd even more to rant on about, this will have the same effect, as the idiots posting the spear hunt online. I am certainly not ashamed to be a hunter, but we need to use a little common sense , and not bring any more negative attention on hunting.
Hmmm... I bet people that smoke cigarettes thought the same thing 15 years ago.... "Use some common sense and don't bring negative attention"....

Now it's against the law (and somewhat socially frowned upon) to light up almost anywhere in public...

With this kind of rationale, we as hunters will have to transport game in covered vans without windows soon....

Forget it. I'll continue to transport my kills in the back of my truck. And if a leg is sticking up, or an antler is above the line of sight of the top of the truck bed, who cares? Not I.

J.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:25 PM

I think we as a group would be better off if we all viewed our individual actions through the lens of what is good for the "sport" rather than what is merely allowed. It may feel great to raise the flag as a big FU to the anti-hunters out there, but unfortunately this type of behavior can only help sway non-hunters towards an anti-stance. It is correct that the majority currently supports hunting for food, but to stop there and not acknowledge that an anti-hunting sentiment is growing is ridiculous.

These issues come up all the time, and I can't help but be surprised by how many guys still refuse to accept that each one of us is an ambassador for hunting. I am not suggesting we roll the carcass out of the pickup under the cloak of darkness like it is a crime, but I don't think we need to flaunt death (particularly without context) in front of people either. We can talk about the hypocrisy of condemning the guy with the buck strung up on his tailgate while on the way home to cook the cellophane encased meat bought at the store, but it does not change the general public's response. We are never going to convince the staunchly anti to embrace hunting, but if we were collectively more courteous and diplomatic towards the other 80% that don't hunt then the future of hunting would be far more secure.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Hmmm... I bet people that smoke cigarettes thought the same thing 15 years ago.... "Use some common sense and don't bring negative attention"....

Now it's against the law (and somewhat socially frowned upon) to light up almost anywhere in public...

With this kind of rationale, we as hunters will have to transport game in covered vans without windows soon....

Forget it. I'll continue to transport my kills in the back of my truck. And if a leg is sticking up, or an antler is above the line of sight of the top of the truck bed, who cares? Not I.

J.
First of all, science proved that smoke affected not only the people smoking, but the people around the smoker. You are comparing apples to oranges, and for me, using the plight of smokers gets you no where.

Secondly, nobody would give a diddly squat if you have a leg or antlers sticking up out of the truck. That's kind of our point. Anyway, to each their own, but I agree that guy is out of line, and did us no favors.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Does the average person on the Anthony Henday or the Whitemud, see butchered animals on their way home from work? Am I missing something? That's the kind of road way it looks to me. Look, I'm not saying the guy should be arrested, or even fined, but for pete's sake, put a tarp on it, or figure something out.

Are we going to be so stubborn that we are going to suggest that every hunter hang their game vertically behind their vehicle to make a point? To "desensitize" the wimpy city folk? Who was suggesting that everyone hang their game behind their vehicle. Why do people have to exaggerate to the level of lunacy?

Good luck with that. I hunt, I butcher, and even I don't want get stuck behind that in traffic on the way home.Are you serious, you say your a hunter but this would offend you? You wouldn't be trying to get a better look at it, wonder where he got it, what rifle he used, guessing what the score might be.........that is what I as a hunter would be thinking.......and a bit of desensitizing of the city folk would not be a bad thing. Do you get all flustered when you see a pic of dead game on here as well?

Last edited by bobalong; 11-07-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post

J.
I don't try and hide my game animals, but I also don't go out of my way to make sure that everyone sees it either. If a certain fool had not posted the video of him hunting bear with a spear online, spears would likely still be a legal means to hunt big game in Alberta.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:29 PM

How did some media attention on a spear hunting video turn out for spear hunting? Didnt take much for some legislation to be made.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:02 PM

From the perspective of this "hunter" that picture brings the thought of how certain people participate in a "Pride Parade".........a little too much showing.
Just my 2 cents
Old 11-07-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
From the perspective of this "hunter" that picture brings the thought of how certain people participate in a "Pride Parade".........a little too much showing.
Just my 2 cents
I tend to agree, it’s a “Hey look at me over here guys look at me!”.

LC
Old 11-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Just my 2 cents
+1

In response to "am I startled by pictures..." here on AO. No, because I choose to come here to look, like a person chooses to go to a Pride Parade. I'm not choosing to look at a dead animal on my way home from work, and if people don't want to look at that on their way home, I can understand that, even though I am a hunter. They may not want to see that, and it doesn't make them 'anti' anything. I hunt, my wife does not. She doesn't fight me on it, but she is never going to join me. I can hang a skinned, gutted, headless carcass in the garage. I can bring home whole birds.

Could I hang that for her to see in the morning on her way to work? No. Does she need to apologize for that? Hell no.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Secondly, nobody would give a diddly squat if you have a leg or antlers sticking up out of the truck. That's kind of our point. Anyway, to each their own, but I agree that guy is out of line, and did us no favors.
Quote:
Just my 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I tend to agree, it’s a “Hey look at me over here guys look at me!”.

LC
Don't ever pass up the opportunity (as lame as the reason is) to trash a fellow hunter guys......but I guess it shouldn't surprise me that is getting really common on here.

Last edited by bobalong; 11-07-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Don't ever pass up the opportunity (as lame as the reason is) to trash a fellow hunter guys......but I guess it shouldn't surprise me that is getting really common on here.

Don't see any "trashing" here, just an opinion. Hopefully that's OK with you.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't see any "trashing" here, just an opinion. Hopefully that's OK with you.
Members like you NEVER see "it"
Old 11-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I would be wrapping that buck, whether it was hanging on the hoist, on a travel receiver rack, in a trailer or in the box on top of the quad.
Nothing to do with peoples' perception of me or hunters in general, simply to keep the road salt, dirt and exhaust fumes off the meat.
Cat
THIS!!! I actually think it is a pretty good idea to use the hoist. I would of just wrapped it loosely in a tarp so it was out of sight and to keep the road grime off. My initial thought was how can he keep it clean, not how is it offensive. It is a really nice buck, be a shame to have it covered in sand, salt, dirt and such. I drive my truck down the highway and it is filthy.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
LMAO...pot kettle. I wasn’t bashing I was sharing an opinion perhaps maybe you don’t share.... big deal.

LC
Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I would be wrapping that buck, whether it was hanging on the hoist, on a travel receiver rack, in a trailer or in the box on top of the quad.
Nothing to do with peoples' perception of me or hunters in general, simply to keep the road salt, dirt and exhaust fumes off the meat.
Cat
That is a good practice but you and I have both seen probably hundreds of animals over the last 40 years hauled in the back of a truck or in a trailer with no tarp or any kind of cover.

I fail to see how seeing half a moose and antlers sticking above the box is ok but if their hanging on a rack it is so terrible. The fact is there was nothing wrong with it then and there is nothing wrong with it now. We are hunters, we kill animals and we take them home that has remained the same for hundreds of years.

The only thing that has changed are the attitudes of people who do not appreciate hunting or what all it entails. To many people who are offended by every little damn things these days, sometimes they need to just worry about what they do and keep their nose out of other peoples business when they are doing absolutely nothing wrong.

There was a time here on here when hunters congratulated hunters, they didn't nit pick about what weapon they used , about what scope they used, if they wore camo or how they transported their game. Now on many threads it can be 50% or more of the supposed hunters on here that do nothing but degrade other hunters for a variety of reasons.........pathetic to see what some of the next generation of hunters have become.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM

Make no mistake...I am not offended in the least by what the guy did. I think that he had other more discreet options however. I don’t think we need to be “in your face” with our activities personally. It might be hard for some to believe bit I have packed elk/moose/deer and a quad in the box of my truck before. That’s just my opinion...no more weighted or valuable than any other “opinion”.

It’s your opinion I am “bashing” hunters...nope, I don’t share that “opinion”...but you can bash my opinion and it’s ok right?

LC
Old 11-07-2018, 08:49 PM

I would have not transported it like that, but I also have no problems with it. I think the problem are the people who live in a fake Disney world like this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33915560f458eda6840bcac5d35e5198.jpg (23.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
WRONG. Why do people continually repeat this nonsense and even present it as fact?

The fact is that the vast majority of Canadians support hunting for food. Trophy hunting has little support but hunting for food is strongly supported.

There are numerous studies and polls that support what I've stated. I'd be interested in seeing where you are getting the facts to support your statements.

Here's a poll that was conducted in BC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ests-1.2441620
I understand that most people support hunting for food but you do not need to display your food hanging of the back of a truck for all to see.Its all people in general that seem to get offended these days with social media not just the antihunters.We shouldnt have to hide or conceal our game but we need to be smarter on how we present our animals/birds that we have harvested.There are thousands of pictures that are posted daily that are super but like always it only takes one terrible picture of a deer that is covered in blood with its tongue hanging out to stir the pot.We will always get criticized no matter what we do so lets do our part to lessen the ammo we give them.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
LMAO...pot kettle. I wasn’t bashing I was sharing an opinion perhaps maybe you don’t share.... big deal.

LC
Nice try but stating how a fellow hunter carries his game home was just done to attract attention when clearly there was no room in his truck for the deer is much more that an opinion, it is negative comment on another hunter and you know it very well..........the fact that you won't admit it, well that suggests something else.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Banned

You were lucky enough to harvest an animal for your use to consume. Show some respect to the animal you have been fortunate to have harvested
Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Nice try but stating how a fellow hunter carries his game home was just done to attract attention when clearly there was no room in his truck for the deer is much more that an opinion, it is negative comment on another hunter and you know it very well..........the fact that you won't admit it, well that suggests something else.
Lol...what does it suggest? Clearly no room? I would have put it on the quad personally. Draws less attention and less chance something happening to my deer dangling off the back...but that’s just me.

The fact I won’t admit what? Want to put words in my mouth?

The fact you won’t admit you were “bashing” me for an option is the pot calling kettle black no?

LC
Old 11-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Make no mistake...I am not offended in the least by what the guy did. I think that he had other more discreet options however. I don’t think we need to be “in your face” with our activities personally. It might be hard for some to believe bit I have packed elk/moose/deer and a quad in the box of my truck before. That’s just my opinion...no more weighted or valuable than any other “opinion”.

It’s your opinion I am “bashing” hunters...nope, I don’t share that “opinion”...but you can bash my opinion and it’s ok right?

LC
You can defend your opinion the hunter you chose to trash can not which is always nice when your throwing cheap shots. You have no idea why he carried the game that way he did except the one that is very clear his truck box was full.

Without knowing anything about the guy except that he had a successful hunt you chose to imply that he was some kind of exhibitionist just trying to gain attention, not just a guy who had a good day and was going home to clean his deer.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
You were lucky enough to harvest an animal for your use to consume. Show some respect to the animal you have been fortunate to have harvested
Careful...you will be accused of bashing a fellow hunter with that opinion

LC
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Your exactly right Mr. Putin.........I should "see it" it your way.

I will leave the rest of this thread alone so you can spread your views unimpeded. Have a great evening bob!!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You can defend your opinion the hunter you chose to trash can not which is always nice when your throwing cheap shots. You have no idea why he carried the game that way he did except the one that is very clear his truck box was full.

Without knowing anything about the guy except that he had a successful hunt you chose to imply that he was some kind of exhibitionist just trying to gain attention, not just a guy who had a good day and was going home to clean his deer.
You know as much about the guy as I do...what if he was parading it? Either way enjoy the rest of your season no need for the back and forth... cheap shots? I’ll repeat pot meet kettle.

LC
Old 11-07-2018, 09:15 PM

Maybe we could do a poll? How many people have ever seen a game carcass hauled home like this? Other people have mentioned hooves and horns sticking out, others refer to 'deer over the hood', years ago. But what about this method specifically?

I've never seen it. Not once, an animal hanging straight up and down like that. The entire carcass exposed. What if a farmer did this with a steer. Let's say he shot a steer and hoisted it up with the bucket of his John Deere, and drove down the right lane of the anthony henday with the steer, head down, swaying back and forth?

That wouldn't also draw some negative attention? You are living in fantasy land of ultra thin skin to accuse people of hunter bashing. Give me an F'ing break. Many people that are not out to 'get hunters' would be upset with seeing that especially so out of context on a free way. It's not that hard to understand.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe we could do a poll? How many people have ever seen a game carcass hauled home like this? Other people have mentioned hooves and horns sticking out, others refer to 'deer over the hood', years ago. But what about this method specifically?

I've never seen it. Not once, an animal hanging straight up and down like that. The entire carcass exposed. What if a farmer did this with a steer. Let's say he shot a steer and hoisted it up with the bucket of his John Deere, and drove down the right lane of the anthony henday with the steer, head down, swaying back and forth?

That wouldn't also draw some negative attention? You are living in fantasy land of ultra thin skin to accuse people of hunter bashing. Give me an F'ing break. Many people that are not out to 'get hunters' would be upset with seeing that especially so out of context on a free way. It's not that hard to understand.
X2
Old 11-07-2018, 09:31 PM

Default Hi

Quote:
This isn't rocket science. C'mon. The reaction would have been the same if he had a steer hanging like that. Or chickens, or a hog, or whatever.

You honestly expect some mom in her minivan with her kids to pull up at a stop light behind that and not think "FFS, can you figure some other option out dude?"

Sometimes as hunters, we have to stop jumping to the "we're the victim" and admit that as much as other people have to accept our right to hunt, we don't have to put it, literally, right in their face.
Smartest comment on here these threads always have to be about "snowflakes" or liberal agenda or how the world is soft how about it's a stupid F@@@@ng way to transport anything down a highway those hoists are not designed for that what if it broke loose and caused an accident with a family .Is it hard to quarter and store it like a normal person would.....
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:

X3
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 PM

Ruffy....you are bang on. But you can get accused for bashing your fellow hunter too like the rest of us who agree with you

I don’t always agree with “one for all, all for one” some poor behaviors (even though legal) need to be called out from time to time IMHO.

LC