Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Doe hunting tactic advice

The private land where I usually hunt whitetails is in a WMU where no supplemental doe tags are allowed this year. Last year one was allowed, this year none. Good thing I read the regs carefully.

In another nearby WMU (which still allows one supplemental tag) is this 1/4 section of public land. It's solid bush except for a short cutline across the southwest corner. There's a highway on the south border, and farms or grazing leases on the other 3 sides. I walked that cutline once last winter, and found fresh tracks that led me to a small creek/seepage not very far off the cutline. I'm thinking deer may be bedding on this public land and feeding out on the pasture/farm lands.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to tag a doe in here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4b84d07d-f9d3-4558-88b0-1fd86981951c.jpg (31.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 AM

Personally speaking, I would check for a well used funnel area between the bedding area and the fields, and sit on it- not too close if you are rifle hunting.
Cat
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally speaking, I would check for a well used funnel area between the bedding area and the fields, and sit on it- not too close if you are rifle hunting.
Cat
You can’t go wrong hunting the funnels, find out if they are feeding on the private and grazing leases and find out where they are bedding, like cat said find a natural funnel(drainage, ravine...) and set up an ambush.