Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Default My Wainwright experience

I was drawn for the second rifle this year. Like a dummy i put my wife in on her own not as a group. Well i was drawn and she was not.
Oh well. Left Rocky mnt House at 3am Thursday am. Made it to the base by 6:30am. Got done breaffing around 8am. -25 out. Not great walking weather so decided to drive and try and spot.
I have never been to the base. This was all new. Took awhile to figure out where to go. Well i was guessing where the deer might be. Seen a few good white tails running at a long way off. Seen a cranker mule buck 10feet on the wrong side of west boundary. There was no way he was jumping the fence to come to my side.
Seen lots of does and a bunch of small bucks.
Checked out and headed to my buddys place just north of Consort to stay the night.
Next morning breefing was short and got out long before legal light.
Parked and set up for first light. Nothing. Oh well thought I would work my way to the south and cross into the annex and do a bunch of walking.
At one point on one of the south trails a f150 was coming towards me i looked and thought well he has a nice flat spot to pull over and let me by(im driving a dually and had a bank on my side) well nope he isn't moving so up the bank i go. Felt like I rolled over a rock or frozen lump but no big crash so no big deal(more on this latter)
I got into the annex about 10am. Lots of fresh tracks.
I decided to walk in by some fresh tracks. Jumped a huge mule buck bedded just off the trail. Damb no shot. Headed quickly back to the truck to go about 1/2 mile further to see if I could catch up to him. Back into the bush to a big swamp he was traveling. But no dice. Nothing around
Well I thought i would find a nice spot to sit and watch from the truck and have lunch.
After lunch i started to drive to a new area. I keep hearing a squeel noise from my truck. Much like a rock in your brakes. Pushed my ebrake,backed up and pounded my brakes. Nothing it's still there. Got out and crawled under my truck. Nothing
Went another 10feet still the noise.
Got out again this thime crawling under front of my truck. OH CRAP
My front diff cover is bent up at the bottom and leaking oil!! Grabbed a hammer and straightened it out. Looks to have sealed up, or there is no oil left.
Called my buddy in Consort to see if he can meet me at the hiway with some oil.
He said he is on his way.
Well time to try 2wheel drive and leave limp back to hiway.
Ran into range control he was nice enough to follow me back and make sure i make it.
He phoned in to sign me out and took my map( my hunt is done)
Got some fresh oil in and time to chance the 4hr drive home.
Well i am happy to say i made it home.
Crown and pinion don't look good.
Of course dodge likely wont warranty any of it as I hit a rock.
Crappy deal all around and my frezzer is still empty.
To say the least Wainwright was a experience. Haha
I will be back. Next time maybe I won't drive my new dually.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:31 PM

crappy deal , i did that once ,but cooked the front pinion , had to cut it out with a torch .u saw a BIG Mulie ? how big ? ,im looking for 1 thursday ,
Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 PM

Sorry about you're bad luck, the base hunt is historically hard on trucks. I have herd some horror stories, blown transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, tires, stuck bad.
I got high centered out there once trying to get out to the main road just after last light, I was by myself, it was a long night.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteguy View Post
crappy deal , i did that once ,but cooked the front pinion , had to cut it out with a torch .u saw a BIG Mulie ? how big ? ,im looking for 1 thursday ,
I'm going to shoot it tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randster View Post
Sorry about you're bad luck, the base hunt is historically hard on trucks. I have herd some horror stories, blown transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, tires, stuck bad.
I got high centered out there once trying to get out to the main road just after last light, I was by myself, it was a long night.
The last time I was there I took two deer the first day - a fork horn with my .58 and a nice 5X5 with my Cherokee!
Cat
Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randster View Post
Forgot twisted frames. About 5 years back hit a rock on my just inside of my right a arm, nearly sent me through the cab roof. Still drive the truck but the ford emblem on my steering wheel now faces 3:00 while driving straight.

Have to say, local shops must love the boost in business..
Old 12-09-2018, 05:10 PM

That’s crappy luck, maybe next year you can accompany your wife and go again.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:20 PM

Beautiful mule buck around 190 in the annex
Old 12-09-2018, 05:32 PM

im hoping to see a decent 1 , any decent W/tails taken