Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM

Default Heat shrink fletching?

I saw a quick tip on a an archery show the other day about heat shrink fletching....found this on the Cabelas site:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0032997417417a.shtml
Anyone use these or anything similar? I've just nicely got started into archery and have 10-12 arrows I need to re-fletch and I'm thinking this maybe the ticket if they work.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 AM

ive been thinking about trying these out for a while now, if you do get some write up a report if you wouldnt mind about performance and how well the wrap stays on the arrow
Thanks 7
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0032997.shtml

I've got them on my crossbow bolts........they are holding up well. Expensive enough for me not to make them the standard though...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM

I bought a couple of packs of Extreme heat shrink fletching (blazer vanes) from Jim Bow's this weekend. My only complaint was that each pack came with an mini instructional dvd, the first pack's dvd was cracked before I even opened the pack the second cracked as soon as I broke the seal on the packaging, so bad in fact that it broke in half. So I did what any "hi tech redneck" would do I tried to look up the instructions on the "net". Extreme's website was under construction, so that was no help, and other than generic instructions there was nothing on google. The only dvd player that would play any of the mini dvd was my kids portable pink princess player. I saw 2mins or so of Micheal Waddel putting one together, it played in the middle of fletching one, it looked like he'd measured it out (or at least matched it with a professionally fletched arrow) he then shot a regular arrow at target from 50 yards hitting it in the kill zone. Next he shot his heat shrink arrow and hit it in the kill zone too. Then he proceeded to take a stripped arrow put a shrink wrap on it, just eyeballing it no measuring and dipped it into his hot water shrinking it on. He then shot it at the target hitting a little low but still a killing shot.

Thinking that I couldn't mess them up too bad I put 6 arrows together in a matter of minutes, all I did was line up the nock end of the new fletching with a brand new manufactured arrow. Dipped and done!

Went to the range with the new heat shrinked arrows and 3 brand new manufactured and to be honest I was impressed with the heat shrinked arrows performance. The groups were tight regardless of what arrows I was shooting.

For me I think this is a good option as I've never fletched any of my own arrows and don't have any of the "tools" required to do so and at $17 + tax for a half dozen doing a dozen arrows once or twice a year isn't going to break the bank. We'll see how they hold up to the regors of practice and my little test was only with field points next up will be the broadhead test. Let's hope they hold up better than the dvd's....haha
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM

I like the idea, I'm just not sure what you do if one of the flethings tear off. Can you stick a new one on or do you have to install a whole new set?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Another good option if your into fletching your own arrows is the Arizona E-Z Fletch Jig. It allows you to do all three fletching at one time, and its super easy to use. You can get them in straight, 1 degree off set, and 6 degree helical. The best part is that if you tear or lose a fletching, you can easily replace it.