Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM

Gentlemen, good that you can keep your chins up when you know that the odds are far, far against you. Other than the ice taking a hurting this Thursday, long term shows back to colder temps and good ice. There is nothing that can be done about that now ...
Old 11-26-2017, 06:19 AM

In summary.

2017 Season Opens here this year on Monday December 11th;

8.0 inches - Zip-in-Z
8.5 inches - yoteblaster
9.5 inches - bwackwabbit
10.0 inches - kevinhits
10.0 inches - 1bluZebec [sorry, had to round you up...rules you know ]
11.0 inches - SNAPFisher
11.0 inches - swampy45 [And a 1 ton in a pear tree ]
12.0 inches - Habfan
13.0 inches - 223MB
14.0 inches - latenite

Well, anyone below 10 ..sorry about your guesses. Seeing 8 inches or higher now at most central lakes and 2 weeks to go pretty much puts me in the sweet spot....again.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
In summary.

2017 Season Opens here this year on Monday December 11th;

8.0 inches - Zip-in-Z
8.5 inches - yoteblaster
9.5 inches - bwackwabbit
10.0 inches - kevinhits
10.0 inches - 1bluZebec [sorry, had to round you up...rules you know ]
11.0 inches - SNAPFisher
11.0 inches - swampy45 [And a 1 ton in a pear tree ]
12.0 inches - Habfan
13.0 inches - 223MB
14.0 inches - latenite

Well, anyone below 10 ..sorry about your guesses. Seeing 8 inches or higher now at most central lakes and 2 weeks to go pretty much puts me in the sweet spot....again.

Tks Snap ... for updating the summary.

Will recruit Bwackwabbit and bring Stanley/camera & go out on Sunday (Dec 10th) and punch a few holes out at Norglenwold as well as RR 23.

With this warm weather, it will be interesting to see the results... the winner may even make the A/O Magazine Person/Man of the Year!

Cheers

D.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Default Saturday December 09th - Final Ice Thickness Results

Saturday December 09th, Scott and went out on the lake from the Marina/Lighthouse area to survey the ice thickness. Cleats were a must, there was open water in the Marina entrance we ventured out 200 yds and to our surprise Stanley verified it was 14.5” of clear ice over 7 fow. As a comparison, last year on Dec 12th it was approx 8.5-9" over 5 fow. We drilled a few more holes both shallower & deeper, it was consistent all about 14 – 14.5”, we decided NO need to go to RR23 & headed off to Gull for a look.

Congrats to member “Latenite” who gets the 2017/18 - Sylvan Ice Thickness Best Guess Award.

For all those headed out on Monday, stay safe ice conditions can be unpredictable on this lake.

Some pics from today….

Cheers

David

Town put up a "Caution" sign.

Open Water in the Marina Entrance

Lazer'd 200 yds out from Lighthouse

To the top of the ice = 14.5"

We were just over 7 FOW ....

We'll have to do this again next year .....

Old 12-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Bee Youtiful Maaaahnin' !!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanks Zip!!

I'm a little surprised since Gull usually trumps Sylvan by a couple of inches. No kidding about no snow on Sylvan. Skates anyone!

Latenite, congrats on bragging rights for a year.

The good news, I ordered extensions for the Jiffy and Eskimo and both are hear. Could be on of those years where they come in handy.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:06 AM

I think we need to give the nod to Yoteblaster for an average of 8.5 inches.

Zip, you sure about that measurement? RR23 and Sunbreaker average 8.5 inches. I can't imagine there being 14.5 anywhere on Sylvan. Just doesn't seem possible. After fishing the much, much thicker Gull lake, Sylvan felt like drilling through butter. So quick.

P.S. Some guys fishing the drop off to the right of Sunbreaker claimed 6 inches. Talked to the RCMP as well and he had heard there was about 6. He was ticketing a guy who parked right in the front of the launch. Apparently the tow truck was on the way....
Old 12-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Mr. Snap ... Stanley is the most accurate buddy in my fishin box.

As I said, ice conditions vary, Saturday they dropped a Spruce into the Ice & add some lights, yesterday the Town had a Loader & Grader on ice working on the Lake Rink, today the surface was melting there was waves coming into my holes and the wind was ridiculous, ice was cracking and groaning and most who drove on got off quick.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:07 PM

Okay. Vary is one thing but 35% to 45% just sounds like different lakes to me...
Also nothing in your last post on Sylvan says "vary". I was really expecting to see vehicles and close to 14 inches based on that past post. Instead, 8-9 inches, tops, on two opposite sides of the lake and not one even dared to drive on Sylvan. Have you drilled anywhere else than out from the lighthouse

Gull on the other hand was the opposite with plenty of vehicles out and more ice than I was expecting.

Hoping for some colder weather to return and a little snow for traction.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Okay. Vary is one thing but 35% to 45% just sounds like different lakes to me...
Also nothing in your last post on Sylvan says "vary". I was really expecting to see vehicles and close to 14 inches based on that past post. Instead, 8-9 inches, tops, on two opposite sides of the lake and not one even dared to drive on Sylvan. Have you drilled anywhere else than out from the lighthouse

Gull on the other hand was the opposite with plenty of vehicles out and more ice than I was expecting.

Hoping for some colder weather to return and a little snow for traction.
you mad bro?

The guy goes out and drills some holes and posts photos of the ice conditions that he found and you get upset because the opposite part of the lake you fished had less ice? If your that concerned go to the part of the lake he drilled the holes and re-measure the ice thickness if your that concerned.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyfender View Post
you mad bro?

The guy goes out and drills some holes and posts photos of the ice conditions that he found and you get upset because the opposite part of the lake you fished had less ice? If your that concerned go to the part of the lake he drilled the holes and re-measure the ice thickness if your that concerned.
Not at all. thanks for joining the forum izz...
Maybe you might appreciate my report back of 8.5 inches. If you don't, move on or contribute in some way.

I trust Zip.
Never been ice fishing out in front of the light house. Must be some kind of shallow and calm is all. Sylvan has some kind of varying ice conditions alright.

New moon this weekend. Things just might pick up.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Mr. Snap ... I decided not to say much when you challenged Stanley, Scott (bwackwabbitt) and me on the measurement. It appears other members would agree.

If we do this next year, we'll establish some T&C's in advance and extend an invitation for you to join us.

I believe some Bailey's & Coffee may also be in order.

Cheers

David

Stanley says it's 14.5" 200 yds out from the Lighthouse!

Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 PM

I never believe ice reports, cause if I go in, it’s my fault for not checking myself.

But it is good to know that you should be able to drive on at the lighthouse. I still check before I go out.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 PM

I'm really surprised anywhere on that lake measured 14", but I'd say anyone who said 8"+ are all winners! Anyway, can't wait to get out there any drill some holes!

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr. Snap ... I decided not to say much when you challenged Stanley, Scott (bwackwabbitt) and me on the measurement. It appears other members would agree.

If we do this next year, we'll establish some T&C's in advance and extend an invitation for you to join us.

I believe some Bailey's & Coffee may also be in order.

Cheers

David

Stanley says it's 14.5" 200 yds out from the Lighthouse!

Sorry if it came across the wrong way Zip. I was thinking earlier it was a joke but obviously not. Clearly Sylvan varies more than most lakes I visit and this is just a weird year for weather.

I'm in for next year
I've got something better than baileys you have to try and it's made right here in Alberta....in Nisku....and it is damn good. It is called Double Double.

Next year opening day falls on a Tuesday. You can bet that I'll be there for that one. Especially after Gull kicked my arse good this year
Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 PM

Oh nothing is a joke on here. Snap and z shoulda figured that out by now.....you have your religious following on this site. If you told some of these dudes on here the whites were biting in 60ft of water over 3 inches of ice and we drove a one ton on at rr23 I'm sure there would be casualties. That's why it's always better to do your own research. Your own laziness can easily cost you your life at worst or a pile of cash at the least. It's been plus ten for a week and barely freezing at night. Come on guys really do you want to rely on someone else's ice report?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 PM

Mr. Snap, we would welcome the company next year, as well some D/D. Last year when I cut holes in Norglenwold and RR23, ice was basically the same at 8.5-9". This year the lake froze over 19 days earlier than last, that may explain the 14.5" @ 200 yds out at the Town Site/Marina. Kinda thought it would be similar 200 yds out at the far end of the lake, obviously not. If we get the cold weather expected this winter, Scott will be using an auger extension by Jan/Feb when I'll be under a Palm Tree in SoCal.

Going to give Sylvan a rest and try Gull tomorrow.

Cheers

D.

Pikeman06 ... interesting comments, I still won't drive on Sylvan but see lots of vehicles out on the lake. People should go out and do their own ice investigations, tks for the input.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite View Post
I'm really surprised anywhere on that lake measured 14", but I'd say anyone who said 8"+ are all winners! Anyway, can't wait to get out there any drill some holes!

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

Latenite wise words.

That said, I felt kinda sorry for the young guy who came out with an 8" hand auger and struggled away almost on his knees before he broke through, he looked exhausted.

D.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr. Snap, we would welcome the company next year, as well some D/D. Last year when I cut holes in Norglenwold and RR23, ice was basically the same at 8.5-9". This year the lake froze over 19 days earlier than last, that may explain the 14.5" @ 200 yds out at the Town Site/Marina. Kinda thought it would be similar 200 yds out at the far end of the lake, obviously not. If we get the cold weather expected this winter, Scott will be using an auger extension by Jan/Feb when I'll be under a Palm Tree in SoCal.

Going to give Sylvan a rest and try Gull tomorrow.

Cheers

D.

Pikeman06 ... interesting comments, I still won't drive on Sylvan but see lots of vehicles out on the lake. People should go out and do their own ice investigations, tks for the input.

Let us know how you get the whites on Gull tomorrow. I cannot wait for your photos and comments
Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 PM

Time to dig out the shack and put fresh fuel in the auger
Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Sorry if it came across the wrong way Zip. I was thinking earlier it was a joke but obviously not. Clearly Sylvan varies more than most lakes I visit and this is just a weird year for weather.

I'm in for next year
I've got something better than baileys you have to try and it's made right here in Alberta....in Nisku....and it is damn good. It is called Double Double.

Next year opening day falls on a Tuesday. You can bet that I'll be there for that one. Especially after Gull kicked my arse good this year
I've been to that place, and that is some tasty stuff, as well as their "Brum", pretty smooth.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite View Post
I've been to that place, and that is some tasty stuff, as well as their "Brum", pretty smooth.
Nice! Yeah, brum is great too. I met the owner at the Rum Festival earlier. I kind of avoided their booth first round but showed 2nd time round and I'm glad I did. I never thought sugar beets would make a good rum. Maybe it doesn't smell as pretty as the traditional sugar cane but the taste is all there. The fact that is made from local beets too... they will get more of my $$$. And, I get "rum happy"
Old 12-22-2017, 09:20 PM

Where is a good place to park a vehicle and walk on to the ice? Just from the main townsite? Or is there public access at different parts of the lake? Taking the kids out tomorrow and just like to know how to get on the lake without irritating anybody. Thanks in advance.

Cheers