Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 PM

Default Garage Big Game Hoist Ideas???

Hi all,
Picked up a couple cable hoists to mount in the rafters of my garage specifically to hang big game. I built a decent sized garage with engineered joists and left an opening in my ceiling about 6' by 3'. I beefed up the joists with some 2x10 and boxed out an opening for a new railroad tie to slip into.

Now the next part is figuring out how to install the cable hoists. I've attached a pic as they are meant to mount to steel tubing.

I was thinking to install ready rod on the unit that's bolts to it, then make it long enough so I can drill a perfect sized hole through the wood and simply nut it at the top.

Does anyone have any other creative ideas?

Thanks
Stevey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.jpg (20.3 KB, 229 views)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 PM

Have that same hoist. I mounted a length of square tube using 1/2" redi rod through the beam in the ceiling. Then I attached to hoist to the square tube as shown in your diagram.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 PM

My garage is all finished with drywall on the ceiling so I just use a cherry picker.

If I wasn't using this I would use a chain hoist before I went back to a block and tackle/cable system.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 AM

That's the same hoist I use as well. Been running strong for 6 years now and I use it pretty often. I put a 12' 6x6 through the rafters before I sheeted the roof, then ready rod to attach the hoist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Holy Crap , a deer crossing sign that's not full of holes !!!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:53 AM

I use a chainhoist usually, sometimes the engine hoist.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:25 PM

I was thinking of using an engine hoist as well... How high can you get it to go?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:48 PM

I have a vehicle hoist in my garage. It is great for expanding your storage space, you can winter store a vehicle or put your summer toys on it up out of the way, without the expense of building another garage. Lift King sells them, they start at about $2,200, are free standing, and can easily be moved around if you want them outside or in a different bay.

It is also a great game or general hoist. Just put a Gambrel through the rear hocks onto one of the pins on the ramps and lift the animal as much as seven feet in the air. If you want to use it as a hoist, put slings under what you want to lift. Over the ramps and pick up anything up to about 6000 lbs, no sweat. Like everything else, make sure you know how to rig stuff properly and have adequate slings.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have a vehicle hoist in my garage. It is great for expanding your storage space, you can winter store a vehicle or put your summer toys on it up out of the way, without the expense of building another garage. Lift King sells them, they start at about $2,200, are free standing, and can easily be moved around if you want them outside or in a different bay.

It is also a great game or general hoist. Just put a Gambrel through the rear hocks onto one of the pins on the ramps and lift the animal as much as seven feet in the air. If you want to use it as a hoist, put slings under what you want to lift. Over the ramps and pick up anything up to about 6000 lbs, no sweat. Like everything else, make sure you know how to rig stuff properly and have adequate slings.
Good idea. Do you have any pics?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Where can a guy buy a decent winch like that one that just lag bolts, or carriage bolts to the ceiling? No need for square tube? Also I'd like it to have 110 power.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Good idea. Do you have any pics?
Just of the Lift, never thought to take pictures of stuff hanging from it.

Stock picture from the LiftKing website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverHawk View Post
Where can a guy buy a decent winch like that one that just lag bolts, or carriage bolts to the ceiling? No need for square tube? Also I'd like it to have 110 power.
Unless you put in a proper beam you are not going to like what applying heavy weights does to you trusses. You will eventually collapse part of your roof is you don't build the right support.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:20 AM

I use 1-ton chain hoists and hooks.

LC
Old 05-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Have that same hoist. I mounted a length of square tube using 1/2" redi rod through the beam in the ceiling. Then I attached to hoist to the square tube as shown in your diagram.
I was thinking the same thing.

Did you drill holes in the square tubing sized appropriately for the ready rod?

Does the square tubing sit right again the wood or did you leave a gap so you can slide the hoist?

The only problem is you need to have access to the top of hoist with no interference so you can fasten/turn the bolts into the threaded part.

I actually bought two hoists so i can hang a couple animals if needed.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 AM

Yes, I drilled through the square tube. I left a gap and mounted the winch after the tube was up there. I fixed it in place so it doesn't move. I used a splice nut and an eye bolt on the end of the redi-rod so there are two more attachment points at either end of the tube if I want to use a manual winch to lift something else - I had 3 deer hanging last fall. Used the winch to lift and process them, then tied the gambrel off to the eye hook on the end and released it from the winch - winch was ready to go for the next one.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 PM

Location: somewhere between the garage,work and the great outdoors
Thumbs up

Steve,

You could use all thread rod through the beam/rail, bolt down a length of uni-strut, then get the available strut rollers (cts industries edmonton) bolted to the hoist, now a mobile (length of your opening) hoist!
You could then come up with a hanger system and have multiple animals hanging at once. Just a thought!?!?
Lazzer time
Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Looking at the pic of steve's cable winch..

A person could also make a different set of mounting brackets that would allow the winch to be clamped onto the railroad tie or a 6x6 post instead of the tubular steel.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Finally dug out my hanging rack from behind the shed. Made from light duty pallet racking. Fits perfectly in my garage. It's very portable. I left off the bottom support that keeps bottom from spreading ( for easy assembly and take down ). 4" shy of 10' high. 70" wide so a tailgate slides in between ends. I hang meat hooks off metal rods to hang deer or quarters. Wheels around very well on concrete. Used sparingly every fall. I would lend it out if I'm not using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0426.jpg (17.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0427.jpg (14.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 05-14-2017, 04:08 PM

Default Garage Big Game Hoist Ideas???

This ours at our cabin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 10:54 AM

I have a game hoist in the ceiling of my garage.
strung 2 2x10x16 footers together and bolted them to the trusses. Then Mounted my hoist, a princess auto 800/1600 lbs hoist the the beam in the center. As my ceiling is sheated I made a wider version of an attic hatch that can be dropped down and swung on hinges for the legs to be spread and able to go up into the roof for better and higher working ability.

I've had several deer on it. I had 2 5 point Elk on it last year and they held up quite well though I was a little untrusting of it, not because of the hoist but the beam and truss set up.
I haven't put a moose on it yet, as I feel a little untrustworthy of pulling the roof down. But it held the elk last year no problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Finally dug out my hanging rack from behind the shed. Made from light duty pallet racking. Fits perfectly in my garage. It's very portable. I left off the bottom support that keeps bottom from spreading ( for easy assembly and take down ). 4" shy of 10' high. 70" wide so a tailgate slides in between ends. I hang meat hooks off metal rods to hang deer or quarters. Wheels around very well on concrete. Used sparingly every fall. I would lend it out if I'm not using it.
That's a neat setup!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 AM

I'm not up on building codes, but I would be very leery of making holes in an engineered beam or anything load bearing. Especially if it is not easy to replace, or repair.

I put a chain around the beam in my garage. Then just clipped a 1500 lb. gambrel and pulley system to it.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
That's a neat setup!
Would you believe this was on a job site destined for the garbage bin?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Would you believe this was on a job site destined for the garbage bin?
You know, I would! (My dad was a bit of a "collector" - comes from growing up on a tight budget) We always kept an eye out for "useful raw materials" and were shocked at what people threw out.

Great find!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM

This is our simple game hanging rail. Comes from a written off Reefer Van with the rollers. We hang and then slide to the side. Mom can still park in the garage if its Nov. I have an old 2000 lb winch of dads Argo, going to make a plate with rollers so we can hoist the game up out of the truck instead of using a come along.

OP, can you retro fit your hoist to a similar type rail? Then its not fixed in one spot.

jpg.gif Game rail.jpg (34.4 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Game rail.jpg (34.4 KB, 85 views)