Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Question Dimples while resizing

Hello

I'm curious. Recently I've been finding that a significant number of cases are being dimpled in the shoulder area while resizing. Especially frequently while running Federal cases through, but I see it with Winchester cases as well, maybe 1 in 20-30 or so. All of this is happening to my .243 WIN cases, I've never seen it in other calibers I have reloaded for. It is as frequently happening with brand new cases I resize before loading.

I know that can happen when too much case lube is used, but I've got it down to VERY little used and still seeing dimples. Very irritating.

1. For now, I'm assuming those cases are ruined. But are they? If I was to reload one, and fire it, it would simply.. blow those dimples out against the chamber, and the case would simply reform to the chamber size... just as happens to the neck of the case during firing, right? Is this necessarily the end of the case?

2. As to the causes of the dimpling... I'm wondering if something is wrong with my resizing dies... (Redding). I've had great service from these dies in other calibers, and I have no idea why this issue with dimpled .243 cases.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 PM

Try taking the die apart and cleaning it. I've had the same issue and cleaning the die solved the problem. I have loaded and fired dimpled cases with no problems whatsoever.I'm no expert by any means but that is what worked for me.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 PM

Sounds like you may have a kernel of powder flattened in the die.
As suggested, take 'em apart and clean thoroughly!
Cat
Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 PM

I had a problem simular, it was lube like you already know. I did as whitetail and cleaned the die with a soft brush and seem to have solved it. As cat said maybe a kernel, i had a piece of tumbler grit once, those lil ones I fire formed back to shape. I threw my cases away, just to be safe. Hopefully some of the guys who reload a million rounds a year can offer more insight.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up

! Thanks guys

3 responses within 7 minutes of my post.. that's just remarkable!

All pointing in the same direction.. my dies are apart and getting cleaned right now.

Thanks again!

Frank
Old 05-29-2010, 08:45 PM

No issues with fire forming the dimples back out, it happens more times than some people realize!
Cat
Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Gone Hunting

As long as they are not excessive, I fireform them by just what it says...I fire 'em!!!..LOL
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
Try taking the die apart and cleaning it. I've had the same issue and cleaning the die solved the problem. I have loaded and fired dimpled cases with no problems whatsoever.I'm no expert by any means but that is what worked for me.
+1 way too much lube may remain in the die causing even ur reduced amount of die to dimple it, and go ahead and shoot them, they will blast back out to normal shape with no issues, just inspect them when u reload because when i started i did this alot and found that i cracked a few necks after doing this too many times.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:02 PM

If you are just loading to punch paper or shoot varmints, try just neck sizing. Needs no lube, except a tiny bit in the case mouth for the expander ball not to squeak. That squeak is very bad for making coecentric rounds.

If you must FL size try using RCBS, or any other quality, water soluable lube and cutting it in half with water before putting it on your lube pad. Apply very sparingly, it is hard to believe just how little lube it really needs. If you can see any kind of lube ripple you have way too much.

Imperial sizing wax works great for forming brass and for the inside of the case mouth. If i use it for full length I spread a very small amount on a lube pad, let it soak in for 15 minutes and then roll them. Fingers apply too much and not evenly, which is bad for even sizing.

Finally, even really big dimples are no problem at all. Even ones that crease the shoulder will come out fine with no effect on the round. Compared to some of the case forming I do, a lube dimple isn't even a small wrinkle. Best of luck, and definitely clean those dies every 100 rounds or so if you are using lube.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 PM

I also switched over to the Spritzer Dillon case lube...best move I ever made as far as lubing goes. I got a metal meshed tray that I dump my MT brass into.....3 or 4 small spritzes...roll em back and forth...3 or 4 more spritzes...roll em around again...let em sit for 2-3 minutes. Then your all set! The alcohol evaps and just the lanolin left...everything from 243 to 300 win mag..300wsm...no probs....a little formica sometimes in the mouth of the case...no squawk!. A buddy found a home made recipe on line somewhere...he bought the lanolin and a certain type of alcohol(percentage wise).he made a couple of liters of the stuff...gave me a couple of bottles to try....SAME STUFF as DILLONs...works great!!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Excellent information

Some of these threads should be tagged as "extremely instructive" and be given a higher priority on the search function somehow. I'd imagine a LOT of new reloaders would benefit from threads like these (before they throw away $20 worth of brass unnecessarily!)

Thanks again gents!

Frank