Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Default storing beaver pelts

Hey guys looking for advice on storing beaver pelts for the summer,what is the best way,i was thinking stacking them flat and putting them in the freezer?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Hey guys looking for advice on storing beaver pelts for the summer,what is the best way,i was thinking stacking them flat and putting them in the freezer?
If they are dried, that would be fine.

If they are fresh, undried, unstretched, I would recommend putting them in a bag, I use bags about the size of a bread bag. Fill the bag with water and freeze them that way. The water prevents freezer burn.

If you haven't frozen beaver pelts before, be aware that the smell will remain in the freezer for years. And it is nearly impossible to wash the smell out. Even bagged pelts will leave this smell.

For that reason, I have a freezer I use for trapping and nothing else.
That's not always possible. In which case I would double or even triple bag them, if the freezer is going to be used for food items, even bagged food items.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

If they are fresh, undried, unstretched, I would recommend putting them in a bag, I use bags about the size of a bread bag. Fill the bag with water and freeze them that way. The water prevents freezer burn.

If you haven't frozen beaver pelts before, be aware that the smell will remain in the freezer for years. And it is nearly impossible to wash the smell out. Even bagged pelts will leave this smell.

That's not always possible. In which case I would double or even triple bag them, if the freezer is going to be used for food items, even bagged food items.
Yup they are dried,and I have a freezer just for trapping stuff to,I have 25 done so far and a bunch more to go
Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

What do you call a bread bag, you can't mean a loaf size bag. Jim