Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Default blue wire worms

I'm just wondering if any of you have had any success with blue wire worms? I usually stick to red and brass but I got a smokin deal on some 20Ga blue wire and made a few to try out this week. I may run to Fly's ect and pick up more hooks to tie some with different color heads, any suggestions on color that has worked for you?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blu ww.jpg (28.6 KB, 528 views)
Old 01-28-2018, 11:33 AM

Small blue / silver wire worms might imitate small minnows/shiners, maybe add a silver bead if you can, really give it some pop. Blue loses color at the slowest rate so it would be a decent deep water color, make it stand out against the beige sandy bottom.

My 2 cents. Only way to truly find out is try, be sure to post your results!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Always liked the blue color. Never tried it as a wire worm. Echo NSR Fisher... let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:55 PM

Used to catch big perch on blue Russians up bonnyville way. Maybe it's something they don't see that often that's the attraction. Hard to say how they perceive different colors down there but blue made the difference in the body count at the end of the day.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:08 PM

When the walleye tags first came out, we were drawn for Gardner. Me and the boys slammed easily 30-40 in a couple hours on Blue Ratt'lin Raps. All were small, we had to catch that many to fill my tags. First and last time on that lake.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM

I took some out to McGregor yesterday for a trial run.....

It was a very slow morning, I suspect due to the 20 degree temperature jump. We were seeing and marking lots of fish (pike, whites and walleye) but they had little interest in what we presented them. We did notice in the afternoon when the walleyes moved onto the flat they keyed in on the blue/silver every time over Red/black, brass, copper, and yellow but they were non committal or, when they did bite it was soft and indecisive. The whites showed no interest in anything all day but that's pretty much been the normal for us the past few weeks. We located several singles all day long on camera but they just cruised by. I stuck to wire worms in various colors in combination with a blue one on bottom on one rod and on top on the other. My partner tried everything he could think of, from spoons to forge minnows to jigs to anything even considered whitefish tackle....not even a glance from a white.

I'll give the blues ago again next week but for now we are shifting our focus back to Ling for a few nights around the full moon.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:38 AM

Never thought of trying blue. I keep a handful of pink wire worms in my box, non traditional colour, but it has produced on days when the usual brass, yellow, oranges don't. I have limited out very quickly with the pink.

For instance, back in the days when we could still keep fish at Wab, 3 of us caught our limits on whites using pink wire worms and were gone after 45 minutes of getting set up

When using wire worms I almost never tip it with any bait

Sometimes the last hook you think will produce will have surprising results

Not a wire worm, but I have had consistent luck at Gull for whites using a Lindy Slick Jig in the Silver Shiner and Green Glow patterns specifically, again, no bait
Old 01-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
I took some out to McGregor yesterday for a trial run.....

It was a very slow morning, I suspect due to the 20 degree temperature jump. We were seeing and marking lots of fish (pike, whites and walleye) but they had little interest in what we presented them. We did notice in the afternoon when the walleyes moved onto the flat they keyed in on the blue/silver every time over Red/black, brass, copper, and yellow but they were non committal or, when they did bite it was soft and indecisive. The whites showed no interest in anything all day but that's pretty much been the normal for us the past few weeks. We located several singles all day long on camera but they just cruised by. I stuck to wire worms in various colors in combination with a blue one on bottom on one rod and on top on the other. My partner tried everything he could think of, from spoons to forge minnows to jigs to anything even considered whitefish tackle....not even a glance from a white.

I'll give the blues ago again next week but for now we are shifting our focus back to Ling for a few nights around the full moon.
Whites are very camera shy. I personally wouldn't use a camera when fishing whites. About blue wireworms; I did make some and tried them.Didnt have any luck with them.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM

"Whites are very camera shy."

I appreciate that, we primarily use the camera to locate fish. Once set up I switch to sonar/sight while my partner uses his camera to scout the next location. But yes I'm with you, I prefer to not have a camera in the water when fishing whites.

"pink"

interesting...I'm going to have to try that.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 PM

they should work for Lake Whitefish in certain lake's

i have seen blue bigger shrimp at Smoke Lake by Fox creek

its the motion in the ocean's that gets my commits .. or not moving at all

n on camera with Whites is some are n some are not camera shy

this guy was only caught because of camera

mine is a mini aqua-view

n back too post

i would use that color

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1621882_10151873405490776_250374484_n.jpg (32.2 KB, 88 views)