Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 PM

Default Has anyone fished Bowron Lakes

I am going on a canoe trip to Bowron Lakes in BC next week and was wondering if anyone on the forum has fished that area before that might have a few suggestions for fly selections.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned

they are very deep lakes and it gets hot in the summer so im not sure how the lake is but in the spring its crazy with trout and kokanee in the summer though go to the river that it drains into there are a few good spots there you wil get more fish there
Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks I was guessing that some of the inlets and outlets would be good places to try.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Smile

I've caught rainbows in August right on the surface. But that's in the evenings. Things cool down this time of year in the Caribou and it gets dark noticably earlier these days. Try a dry fly like a caddis in about a size 12. Even if you have a spinning rod. Tie on a Tom Thumb or a Elk Hair Caddis. Put on a split shot and either cast and retrieve it or troll it very slowly behind you. You'll be surprised in what you get.

Have a great time up there. It's beautiful country. But be carefull. There are a lot of bears around there. Griz and black so keep your wits about you and keep your eyes and ears open.

Rob
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Thanks Rob I will definately try those flies, its the first time in a long time that I have done a trip like this and I am hoping to cook up a nice fish for the boys seeing as I am in charge of dinners.

Gord