Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Thickness of ice and how much weight it can hold

just wondering what the ice thickness to weight ratio would be hm these southern alberta lakes...any help would be appreciated
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rororor View Post
just wondering what the ice thickness to weight ratio would be hm these southern alberta lakes...any help would be appreciated
4 inches will hold about 200 pounds making it safe to walk on
5 inches will hold about 800 pounds making it safe for an atv or snowmobile
8-12 inches will hold 1500 - 2000 pounds suitable for small car group of people
12-15 inches suitable for vans and light trucks
I'd give it a good foot nd a half 2 feet before larger trucks and deisels
remember
3 inches or less keep off
ice dose not always freeze evenly it coul be 4 inches in one place and 2-3 inches just feet away be carefully on fresh ice!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 AM

The quality of the ice is just as important as the thickness.

Black (clear) Ice is the safest. There's no air bubbles within the ice making the water molecules bond to each other with more strength then ice with air bubbles.

White (bubbly) Ice holds alot of air pockets. Making it weaker then Clear Ice.

It's all a pernonal preference. I will go on couple(yes 2) inches of solid clear ice. I'll go on about 5-6 inches of white ice.

That's a big factor in the early parts of the season when, like mentioned above, the ice doesn't freeze evenly throughout the lake or river. Current plays a big factor on how ice freezes. More current means crappy ice and is unsafe.

Anyways lots of information available through online sources.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM

What about how close is to close to drill holes together. Like if i drill three holes a foot apart in 5inches of ice am i weakening it to much?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Fishingnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher_man#1 View Post
What about how close is to close to drill holes together. Like if i drill three holes a foot apart in 5inches of ice am i weakening it to much?

Thanks.
Yes, think of perforated paper. Whereabouts is the Lake (i.e, Prairies, Foothills, Pond, etc...)?

The two posts above are great info for learning ice type, also learn the lake/reservoir characteristics,,, a windswept lake tends to have the blacker/thicker/consistent ice,, whereas a mountain lake can vary considerably. We no longer drive on the ice but if you do, open your doors past the click (enough to kick open) and drive slow (you can actually force a small wave below the surface towards a weaker spot).

Be Safe, Have Fun, post pics of your catch.

Oh, if your ice is 5 inches, look for puddling, that's the slushy looking ice which is really open water, don't go exploring too much.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingnutter View Post
Yes, think of perforated paper. Whereabouts is the Lake (i.e, Prairies, Foothills, Pond, etc...)?

The two posts above are great info for learning ice type, also learn the lake/reservoir characteristics,,, a windswept lake tends to have the blacker/thicker/consistent ice,, whereas a mountain lake can vary considerably. We no longer drive on the ice but if you do, open your doors past the click (enough to kick open) and drive slow (you can actually force a small wave below the surface towards a weaker spot).

Be Safe, Have Fun, post pics of your catch.

Oh, if your ice is 5 inches, look for puddling, that's the slushy looking ice which is really open water, don't go exploring too much.
Where most people run into problems is making assumptions on ice thickness. Areas without snow have thicker ice, areas with snow have thinner ice (snow insulates), also are there freshwater springs, inflow streams, rotting vegetation, also when driving on the ice you still create a bow wave just like if you were in a boat...and if waves hit other waves or weak parts at the wrong time and place...disaster can happen...and last but not least...pressure ridges. I see lots of problems in the past with people driving over pressure ridges. When the the weather temperature fluctuates...ice expands and contracts. This can lead to open water on a minus 35 degree day.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM

It seems every year,there is a guy or two going in, I think last winter there was one guy who went in when he drove the bobcat on to clear the ice so the kids could play hockey at Christmas.

When is a normal start for folks, for me I usually have not even thought about it till coyotes slow down mid Jan but maybe this year I get into some of that hot first ice action.

I would imagine a lake like Spray is safer before PCR.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Negative. Spray freezes late because of the high winds and it's unsafe ice until a good 6".
Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks, this is valuable info. I only ever been ice fishing once before, and was wondering this exact question so I can fish this upcoming season.

I also have an idea. Sorry if this is considered hijacking the thread. But I have an old van that I want to cut the floor out of and use for ice fishing. Is this a good idea or bad? And what month of the hardwater season is the ice thickest, to take a van or truck onto the ice? I know 15 inches like said above, but I want a general idea when I can do this if I can.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Varies of course, but typically 12" inches should be fine, 15" is lots. Depends on the snow fall and quality of ice. Usually this is around mid-jan-late feb and into march can be good hard ice of at least that.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 AM

I generally use the rule 6",8",12" and am really carefull with the small truck and 12" of ice. Would prefer about 14" or more. Its not worth your life for a few fish. Also, your truck will make a ice wave infront of it and if you go too fast and pass the wave it is a good chance the ice will break. Thats why ice roads up north have about 30 mph speed limits, and large trucks stay about 1/2 mile apart or more. And were talking 4 to 6 FEET of ice or more.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
It seems every year,there is a guy or two going in, I think last winter there was one guy who went in when he drove the bobcat on to clear the ice so the kids could play hockey at Christmas.

When is a normal start for folks, for me I usually have not even thought about it till coyotes slow down mid Jan but maybe this year I get into some of that hot first ice action.

Yes I remember that... sadly he died while his kids ran to get help. it was a small farm pond as well. Too much snow on the ice insulated it enough that it didn't freeze thick enough. broke my heart as i have two small kids.

Anyway as for when to get on the ice... i always hit Pigeon boxing day.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Usually end of november. 2-3" is lots of me on trout ponds.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Here's a chart

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...:0&tx=62&ty=47
Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 AM

one time i was on black clear ice that you could see into the water pretty clear . This was about 3 inches and it was solid ... very good points mentioned ....
Old 09-24-2010, 03:13 PM

I've always found it unnerving going on to a frozen lake. Not something I would do without someone experienced being around. But how can you tell what the thickness of the ice is without drilling a hole?

You walk out and see what happens? All is good drill a hole and measure? It seems like such a gamble early in the season, how does someone truly know when the ice is ready?