Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Otter trapping study

Hey Guys and Gals,

New to the forum, excited to join your community! I've been on a similar board, huntingbc.ca for some time now and didn't realise there was an equivalent for the Alberta outdoorsmen! In any case, I'm a wildlife biologist that loves everything about hunting/fishing/trapping. I was recently awarded a small pot of money for some otter research. I was hoping to get a few volunteers from the Athabasca/Wood Buffalo area to participate. I am willing to offer some money for your efforts or even some manual help working your trapline, I realise how hard you all work. I'm interested in collecting otter liver and kidney samples, and to take some morphometric measurements as well. I have all the appropriate permits.

Please PM me if you're interested, or if you would like some additional details. I contacted the Alberta Trappers' Association to see if they would like to come on board, but I'm still waiting for a response. Here's an opportunity to get a bit of extra money in your pockets!

Cheers
B
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm not a trapper, but I'd be interesting in helping out if the opportunity exists.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks Crad,
I think to harvest otters in AB, you need a trapper's permit... however, your help in locating latrine sites, where you saw tracks, scat, anal jelly and so forth would be EXTREMELY appreciated. The area of study is around Ft MacMurray, Ft Chip and the Wood Buffalo municipality. GPS coordinates are the best way to relay the information. You will of course be acknowledged in our study, and a copy of our findings/report will be sent your way if you're interested in reading it. This goes for all the participants who wish to help.

If any of you want to reach me by email: thomasp@unbc.ca

Cheers
Phil