Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
T&T are very fine rods!
I have the exact same rod and it is one of my favorites.
Also have a T&T 8'2"#2 paradigm that is a beauty.
Beautiful casting tiny flies with lightweight rods.
Sage is the master of marketing though and I have wondered if some of the other manufacturers like T&T were as skillful how they would have done.
I think one of the main reasons Sage got so popular is because of their lifetime warranty. Now most quality manufacturers offer it and are easier to deal with. About 20yrs ago I broke a Sage and it took 3 mnths to get it back. Kinda ticked me off cause the salmon were in full swing and had to use my backup rod.
Was Sage the 1st company to offer lifetime warranty?
Does anyone know?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM

with Sage's warranty, you'll always get the same rod back. They are made in-house, so they will just manufacture the blank needed; if you break your Z, you'll get another Z back, even if it is 15 years from now (or so I'm told by the company, anyway). That's a benefit to North American made rods vs Asian made ones. While I have nothing against an Asian rod (I actually use Hardy and Greys rods all the time, and an Echo 3, too), if the series gets discontinued, you'll get the replacement model closest to the one you purchased, which could be either better or worse. With NA name, you'll have you're rod forever.

The fact that the replacements must be made (to the exact correct size of the rod you have --not every rod piece fits the others in exactly the same way) before they can replace a broken section can explain the 3 month wait, and I think a 1.5-3 month wait is pretty common with most companies, other than some like TFO, which replace rods so often they have a huge backlog of them sitting in storage. Just food for though. I'd happily fish a decent backup for a couple months, and be sure my replacement rod is exactly what I'd wanted when I bought my rod in the first place.

Nick
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 PM

Default sage warranty

Thanks Brown Trout that was great.
Sage does have a great warranty and will go over and above what they promise. I broke the top section of a 8 wt. sage one in half last month and was in quite the bind for a rod. I emailed sage at night and when i woke up in the morning they offered to fed ex a loaner to me as there was no dealer in the country. In my email i said i broke it and needed the closest dealer, nothing more. That's great service!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown trout View Post
with Sage's warranty, you'll always get the same rod back. They are made in-house, so they will just manufacture the blank needed; if you break your Z, you'll get another Z back, even if it is 15 years from now (or so I'm told by the company, anyway). That's a benefit to North American made rods vs Asian made ones. While I have nothing against an Asian rod (I actually use Hardy and Greys rods all the time, and an Echo 3, too), if the series gets discontinued, you'll get the replacement model closest to the one you purchased, which could be either better or worse. With NA name, you'll have you're rod forever.

The fact that the replacements must be made (to the exact correct size of the rod you have --not every rod piece fits the others in exactly the same way) before they can replace a broken section can explain the 3 month wait, and I think a 1.5-3 month wait is pretty common with most companies, other than some like TFO, which replace rods so often they have a huge backlog of them sitting in storage. Just food for though. I'd happily fish a decent backup for a couple months, and be sure my replacement rod is exactly what I'd wanted when I bought my rod in the first place.

Nick
I spose you make a good arguement.
Yes I got the same rod back and still have it today with no problems.
And they did appologize for the delay as they were very busy at the time they said.
I also have 2 TFO fly rods that I am happy with as well.
Didnt know that TFO replaced rods on a regular basis?
I have only heard good things about TFO.
Good quality for the price and have made it on the top 10 best fly rods list.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Was Sage the 1st company to offer lifetime warranty?
Does anyone know?
The first company to offer an unconditional lifetime warranty was Scott flyrods
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 AM

what about everyone's least favourite rod?? all the companies make good/great rods depending on the action a person prefers.

myself, i'm not a fan of the TCR series of rods sage made a few years ago. see alot of them for sale on e-bay. so it seems alot of other people don't like them either.seemed like a handheld telephone pole and not much fun to fish.IMO

T&T double handed rods break far too often.IMO.

Winston's"derek brown" special is the worst double handed rod ever made. also see alot of them forsale on abay.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
what about everyone's least favourite rod?? all the companies make good/great rods depending on the action a person prefers.

myself, i'm not a fan of the TCR series of rods sage made a few years ago. see alot of them for sale on e-bay. so it seems alot of other people don't like them either.seemed like a handheld telephone pole and not much fun to fish.IMO

T&T double handed rods break far too often.IMO.

Winston's"derek brown" special is the worst double handed rod ever made. also see alot of them forsale on abay.
We dont talk about least favorite....its depressing (lil joke)

I noticed not very much enthusiasm of Hardy rods n reels.
I wonder why?
I'm lookin at gettn an older Hardey reel (made in UK) prolly just because Im half English.... but don't know that much about them.
Anyone care to elaborate?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM

I can't speak for Hardy but I do have some Greys stuff.

I have a few Grey's rods: 10' 6wt XF2, and a 9' 8wt XF2 Carnivore. Both awesome rods for midrange price. I also have four Greys reels: GX700 in 4/5/6 and 6/7/8, and the GX500 in 4/5/6/ and 6/7/8. Both models are cassette type reels that have fixed the problems of earlier models ie crap drag systems and breaking cassettes trying to get them of the reel.

I like stillwaters and Hardy, and especially Greys, have alot of rods and reels that are perfect for lakes- longer rods and reels that can let you change lines very quickly. The Limeys seem to love their loch-style/stillwater fishing.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=CanAlta;1893612]I can't speak for Hardy but I do have some Greys stuff.

I have a few Grey's rods: 10' 6wt XF2, and a 9' 8wt XF2 Carnivore. Both awesome rods for midrange price. I also have four Greys reels: GX700 in 4/5/6 and 6/7/8, and the GX500 in 4/5/6/ and 6/7/8. Both models are cassette type reels that have fixed the problems of earlier models ie crap drag systems and breaking cassettes trying to get them of the reel.

I like stillwaters and Hardy, and especially Greys, have alot of rods and reels that are perfect for lakes- longer rods and reels that can let you change lines very quickly. The Limeys seem to love their loch-style/stillwater fishing.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha...weren't the Limey's somewhat the fathers of modern fly fishing?
I dont remember that guys name from the late 1800's who wrote about dry fly fishing.
And it was my Limey father who taught me to fly fish too hahaha
This is the main reason I want a UK made Hardy reel.
He taught me some techniques that I have never seen anyone do.....but are killer maneuvers to this day. He could make a fly dance like I have never seen anyone do before....Thanks Dad
Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM

I recently picked up a Hardy ultralite dd 8wt reel. So far I love it. Beautiful reel, appears to be great quality. The only complaint I have is that for a company that goes out of its way to promote being made in Alnwick England, Why does it have a made in Korea sticker on the mount?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Mtg...

I use Hardy reels. Bought my first one in 1971. Got 9 or 10 around here. Finally wore out the gear assembly in the one bought in '71. Lasted. 40 years. Guess with another 8, I'm good for the duration.
Hardy built reels for Orvis, Cortland and others.
And you being British has nothing to do with the purchase of a Hardy. All you need is appreciation of good gear.

Don
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I recently picked up a Hardy ultralite dd 8wt reel. So far I love it. Beautiful reel, appears to be great quality. The only complaint I have is that for a company that goes out of its way to promote being made in Alnwick England, Why does it have a made in Korea sticker on the mount?
Hardy ran into $ issues as alot of companies do.
Thats why Hardy and now Greys are separate (same guys though).
Its been quite a few yrs since Hardy was UK made now.
Check online for alot more details.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Mtg...

I use Hardy reels. Bought my first one in 1971. Got 9 or 10 around here. Finally wore out the gear assembly in the one bought in '71. Lasted. 40 years. Guess with another 8, I'm good for the duration.
Hardy built reels for Orvis, Cortland and others.
And you being British has nothing to do with the purchase of a Hardy. All you need is appreciation of good gear.

Don
Yes Im aware that its a vain reason to want something....but I also know Hardy is very well made.
Hardy also made reels for Sage.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I noticed not very much enthusiasm of Hardy rods n reels.
I wonder why?
I'm lookin at gettn an older Hardey reel (made in UK) prolly just because Im half English.... but don't know that much about them.
Anyone care to elaborate?
Love Hardy's, have a few, some aren't cheap though.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Love Hardy's, have a few, some aren't cheap though.

Yes....some Hardy reels are in excess of $1000.
Havnt decided which model yet. Ebay or the UK ebay have lots.
Gotta decide on the rod first....then do the match.
No hurry
Old 03-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I dont remember that guys name from the late 1800's who wrote about dry fly fishing.
He taught me some techniques that I have never seen anyone do.....but are killer maneuvers to this day. He could make a fly dance like I have never seen anyone do before....Thanks Dad
My 6wt's Nick-name is "Lanny". Named after the WWII Lancaster Bomber!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Cool

[QUOTE=mtngiant;1893619]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAlta View Post
I can't speak for Hardy but I do have some Greys stuff.

I like stillwaters and Hardy, and especially Greys, have alot of rods and reels that are perfect for lakes- longer rods and reels that can let you change lines very quickly. The Limeys seem to love their loch-style/stillwater fishing.[/QUOTE]

The guy your thinking of is his eminence Isaac Walton , the father of sport angling as we know it.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=fish gunner;1893907]
Quote:
The guy your thinking of is his eminence Isaac Walton , the father of sport angling as we know it.

Frederick Halford (British) 1886 book on dry fly fishing and seen as the father of modern fly fishing. He became the major influence for N American fly fishermen.
This is who I was thinking of but I see Walton was before him.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM

If you check on the internet, word has it that Hardy is up for sale. Can't compete any more.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM

Default favorite fly rod

I have a fairly new tfo bvk and so far I really like it. I cast a 5# rio gold,a 5# dt and a rio versa-tip with it.It handles these very well.It may become backup to a hardy zenith 5# that should be here next week
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1949 View Post
I have a fairly new tfo bvk and so far I really like it. I cast a 5# rio gold,a 5# dt and a rio versa-tip with it.It handles these very well.It may become backup to a hardy zenith 5# that should be here next week
I would put the BVK line up against all the higher end rods manufactured.
They are so much less expensive and are such a bargain.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I would put the BVK line up against all the higher end rods manufactured.
They are so much less expensive and are such a bargain.
I will agree to some extent.
The TFO's are a great rod for the price and definitely perform well.
I have 2 TFO's and luv em.

But when matched with an $800 top notch Sage/Hardy/Winston or other.....they do fall behind....(in my limited rod experience)

As I've said before....TFO is rated in the top 10 best made rods now

I just bought Winston 2wt....but the new TFO "Finesse" 2wt series was a very close second
Old 04-27-2013, 06:38 PM

I think I just bought a 40 yr old 7' 3wt Winston Trout Stalker. I hope I'll like it.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I think I just bought a 40 yr old 7' 3wt Winston Trout Stalker. I hope I'll like it.
Any Winston at any age is awesome....I'm sure you wont be disappointed
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

There are some Redington rods at discount prices that are awesome. The CTs and RS4s are some very nice rods. Not very long ago they would have been considered top of the line. For a couple of hundred bucks you can pick up a rod that would have been 6 or 7 hundred a few years back.

Technology in fly rods is very much like golf clubs. What was once the latest and greatest is now obsolete and cheap. That doesn't change the scores of the golfers of yesteryear nor ruin the casts old timers on the river.

Changes are made to catch more fishermen, not more fish. Find the right rod for you and you won't have to worry about opinion or price.
Truer words have never been written,Amen!The graphite technology in bargain basement rods of today was touted as the latest,greatest,must have,top shelf rods of 10years ago.
I'm not really much of a golfer,but another appropriate analogy is the compound bow market.20sum years ago the first bows that rated 250fps were promoted as flatlining lasers and 300fps was a fantasy.....today,300fps is considered a "slow,forgiving" bow.I think the gear junkie kid at the archery range with the $2000+ outfit had a hard time wrapping his head around the fact that I was killing deer with a Bear WT II,2117 Gamegetters,and a 220fps(?) rainbow trajectory since before he was born?Oh,and btw,"what's an overdraw rest?"lol.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Default orvis reel

Have read recently that Hardy used to make reels for Orvis.I have a Orvis C.F.O. V (and 2 spare spools).Can anyone tell me if these were made by Hardy.tks
Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Just noticed the reel is marked made in england.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...os-2-greys-xf2
Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1949 View Post
Just noticed the reel is marked made in england.
JW Young also made reels for Orvis I believe but yours is built by Hardy

http://salmonjunkies.com/tackle-and-...-its-best-era/
Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
There will be some sour grapes over this year's shootout. What I can't figure out is how a rod goes from great one year to junk the next year.

I can understand some rod manufacturers stepping up with a better rod, but how does that make the other rod get worse?

Last year the Sage One didn't win but was 2nd or 3rd (I can't remember and the links have been removed from the web coincidentally) and this year it is absolute, back to the drawing board junk.

Redington also takes a pounding on there. I have a 9'6" 5wt Link and as you would expect it is slightly tip heavy. They say it is a club when in fact it is a nice casting, fast action rod.

Scot got so irked after a bad review years ago that they wouldn't send them a rod. Old George went out and bought one anyway and continues to rip them apart.

The BVK was a decent rod but now has fallen out of favour and last years darling of the shootout the Winston Passport has now been dropped completely because of supply problems? What the %^$# does supply problems have to do with the quality of a fishing rod???? He admits to having a bad taste in his mouth over supply issues so all of a sudden the Mystic is the best value priced fly rod?

And what is with, "this rod is just too slow" and testing it with a GPX line designed for fast rods. If it's too slow, why not try it with a 5wt. line instead of 5.5wt.. It was designed as a 5wt. not a 5.5 wt..

Me thinks an inventory of the back room and a special price from certain suppliers is a motivating factor in determining the shootout. Anyone with a blog, website or even a fly fishing face-book page knows that Loop has been aggressive in getting their products noticed. All of a sudden they went from also ran to number 2.

The Hardy Zenith was 20 out of 20 last year at close range, but this year it it dropped to 19? The One dropped from 19 to 16 at close range. They could hit the pie plate last year but this year not even close???

I am not saying the winners are not great rods, it's the trashing he gives to some of the others. One rod has an 18 in one category and the comment is "very good, just not great" The Sage One is "OK, but nothing to get me excited" with the same score? How can one rod be very good and another rod just OK when they get the same score?

It is good entertainment but be sure to try before you buy and take that shootout for what it is; marketing and nothing more. There is just enough reference to fact there to make the shootout believable to someone that hasn't found that perfect rod yet, a beginner that doesn't know when to apply a grain of salt, and rich guy that just has to have the latest and greatest. And that of course is where the bulk of the money comes from in any sport industry.