Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Default racoon trouble

Hi guys, my in-laws have had a couple of little racoons coming onto their deck for cat food the last couple of nights. I borrowed a live trap from the neighbour and am looking for a little advice on how to catch them asap. Also does anyone have any tips on placing the trap so I won't catch their cats?

thanks for the help.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 PM

It may be hard to catch it without catching a cat first...but if you take a can of tuna and nail holes in the top and use that for bait, you should get him.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 PM

Default raccon traping

If you don't get them with a live trap go to FW and ask about a egg trap. Sort of works like a chinese puzzle and catches them by a front paw and holds them till you get there. The county of Warner used to hand them out and some of the farmers that have used them swear by them...puphood1
Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 AM

im from around the lethbridge area and all that i use is sardenes , if you catch a cat let it go and i have never caught the same cat twice, had good luck this spring
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM

If you dont want cats dont use fish. Keep your trap off the ground and all u need is a few marshmallows behind the pan and if that doesnt get em in a night or two just place a couple eggs in the trap.

gilly
Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 PM

We've always used eggs and a shot of anise flavoring [ licorice] . Sometimes they get smart and enter trap and lift eggs over the trigger and don't set it off . Tie the eggs in a piece of netting [ stocking ] and tie to end of the cage and you'll even catch the smart ones .
Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 AM

Default racoon

A fellow I know in Southern Sask. has big problems with the coons eating the cat food and he put out some live traps and caught darn near 30 coons in the first month. I asked him what he baits the trap with and he looked at me like I had two heads and said ......cat food! Made sense to me I guess he put the cats in the trap for a couple of minutes to get good and uncomfortable and they won't go near the things now.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 AM

All you need are a few pickled eggs this works like no other. we always had really good luck with them and I don`t think the cats will try to get at them.