Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Default pigeon lake

if you do not want a bait ban on this lake you better show up in Nisku tommorrow. This is part of the public consultation process before changing the rules. Be civil but be heard. Get involved.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up

Bait ban, I'm all for it.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
if you do not want a bait ban on this lake you better show up in Nisku tommorrow. This is part of the public consultation process before changing the rules. Be civil but be heard. Get involved.
Oh Im set to go , I got a van load of people comeing with . Ive also spread the word to other people , people who live out there as well as a few other people .
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM

i'll be there if you see me or bbj come on over and say hi we can set up a A/O section
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
i'll be there if you see me or bbj come on over and say hi we can set up a A/O section
Alberta Outdoorsmen , loud mouth group . I think things might get a little heated , at these meetings .
Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Bait bans sould be on almost all lakes with species that are catch and release. It will be great first step to get pigion added to the list.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
Bait bans sould be on almost all lakes with species that are catch and release. It will be great first step to get pigion added to the list.
Walleye's are tag and eat, not just catch and release there. You should read your regs!!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM

its not just about a bait ban its about also not opening up the lake to a slot size or adding more tags to help lower the numbers of small stunted walleyes. and help keep a healthy fishery. there should be no way that me and bbj should be able to catch 3 to 4 hundred eyes in a 5 hour period FROM SHORE.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

he can't read
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
come on out be heard thats the only way to get anything done.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Walleye's are tag and eat, not just catch and release there. You should read your regs!!
Maybe you sould read my post first.

Where did i say it was please show me?
Also Pigion lake is catch and release unless your the holder of a speacil fish harvest licence. So techinally it is catch and release unless your a holder of a tag. So maybe you sould educate yourself before jumping the gun.

Pigeon Lake & tributaries (excluding Tide Creek) & outlet – Walleye limit 0 – except that the holder of a Special Fish Harvest Licence and tags for this lake may retain during the dates specified, the number and size of walleye specified on the tag; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5 over 25 cm; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 3 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
the portion of lake west of a line drawn from the northwesternmost tip of the point in 13-12-47-2-W5 due north to the point where the line intersects the shoreline of the lake in 13-47-2-W5, locally known as Zeiner Park and including Tide Creek.
CLOSED all year.
the outlet, the portion located in 1,2,11-46-28-W4
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 15 and Open – May 16 to Mar. 31.
the remainder of the lake
Open Apr. 1 to Apr. 16; May 16 to Mar. 31.
Apr. 17 to May 15 – CLOSED
Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
its not just about a bait ban its about also not opening up the lake to a slot size or adding more tags to help lower the numbers of small stunted walleyes. and help keep a healthy fishery. there should be no way that me and bbj should be able to catch 3 to 4 hundred eyes in a 5 hour period FROM SHORE.
Your exagerating that preaty badly but i get your point. It won't last like that forever throw. I already posted severly times about this. I didn't feel like rewriting it anymore. So heres a copy and paste from another topic. Also i didn't go into great detail on it i could of added alot more to it but i end up doing this about 4-5 times a month and it gets kinda lame after a while.

A bait ban is a great thing for pigion lake. Do you really need bait during the summer to catch walleye out of pigion. A plain white jig will do the same thing. During the winter it will do huge things for pike whitefish and burbot and the few perch left. Whitefish and burbot will distractly lower the number of fish caught. Way less pike will be hooked deeper and this will result in less people ripping there 2 dollars rigs out of there throuts. I would rather see full catch and release put into effect. But that can never happen. Because of all the old whitefish fisherman would have a riot. So there just making it extermly hard to catch them. But i think its to late anyhow the whitefish are finished only the really old big fish remain. All the huge pike that where in pigion are almost all gone and the number of smaller pike are dropping ever year. The burbot have surived the 80's to 90's masscures of them being tossed on the ice. But are now fulling victim to people actually targeting them and there number are way way way down. The perch are basically removed altogther there was still some big guys hanging around in deep water. But a certian group of guys have been hammering them 6 years and there basically gone now. The stocker walleye have'nt been spawning and alot of orignal walleye the ones that spawn in the river have suffered massive losses to the numbers via the tags. Basically all the walleye over 21inches where the walleye that where the orignal walleye. So when the first year of tags came for 1 over 50cm they basically all got removed. So basically all the walleye in pigion lake are from the same genration the stocker genration. The few orignal walleye that are able to spawn are to few in number and there fry just end up as prey for the stockers just like every other fish. Also the stockers are around 8-9 years old so they only have a few more years to go. So basically the fishing is going to get alot worse over the next few years. Theres not much that can be done except massivly stocking but they lack the fish and the money to do that. So like i said its going to get alot worse.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Wow!!!!!!!!...started to wonder if Happy is ever happy and actually goes fishing.....???????......as said many years ago, "i may not agree with what you say (almost always)....I will however defend your right to say it".....if we all extend that courtesy, it would be a much better forum
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Your exagerating that preaty badly but i get your point. It won't last like that forever throw. I already posted severly times about this. I didn't feel like rewriting it anymore. So heres a copy and paste from another topic. Also i didn't go into great detail on it i could of added alot more to it but i end up doing this about 4-5 times a month and it gets kinda lame after a while.

A bait ban is a great thing for pigion lake. Do you really need bait during the summer to catch walleye out of pigion. A plain white jig will do the same thing. During the winter it will do huge things for pike whitefish and burbot and the few perch left. Whitefish and burbot will distractly lower the number of fish caught. Way less pike will be hooked deeper and this will result in less people ripping there 2 dollars rigs out of there throuts. I would rather see full catch and release put into effect. But that can never happen. Because of all the old whitefish fisherman would have a riot. So there just making it extermly hard to catch them. But i think its to late anyhow the whitefish are finished only the really old big fish remain. All the huge pike that where in pigion are almost all gone and the number of smaller pike are dropping ever year. The burbot have surived the 80's to 90's masscures of them being tossed on the ice. But are now fulling victim to people actually targeting them and there number are way way way down. The perch are basically removed altogther there was still some big guys hanging around in deep water. But a certian group of guys have been hammering them 6 years and there basically gone now. The stocker walleye have'nt been spawning and alot of orignal walleye the ones that spawn in the river have suffered massive losses to the numbers via the tags. Basically all the walleye over 21inches where the walleye that where the orignal walleye. So when the first year of tags came for 1 over 50cm they basically all got removed. So basically all the walleye in pigion lake are from the same genration the stocker genration. The few orignal walleye that are able to spawn are to few in number and there fry just end up as prey for the stockers just like every other fish. Also the stockers are around 8-9 years old so they only have a few more years to go. So basically the fishing is going to get alot worse over the next few years. Theres not much that can be done except massivly stocking but they lack the fish and the money to do that. So like i said its going to get alot worse.
happy perch don't get me wrong i agree with 99% of what you say.. i just don't agree how the goverment azzholes are going about it. i think it was you out there tonight. making the first coment. to bad you left early and missed the rest of the BS .

just to fill a few guys in

walleye tags for 2009

under 43cm - 4106 -
43-50 - 661 -
over 50 -- 0 -

thats it boys and girls - pike 1 over 100cm - whitefish 10 - perch 5 over 25 cm - and burbot 1
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
happy perch don't get me wrong i agree with 99% of what you say.. i just don't agree how the goverment azzholes are going about it. i think it was you out there tonight. making the first coment. to bad you left early and missed the rest of the BS .

just to fill a few guys in

walleye tags for 2009

under 43cm - 4106 -
43-50 - 661 -
over 50 -- 0 -

thats it boys and girls - pike 1 over 100cm - whitefish 10 - perch 5 over 25 cm - and burbot 1

Not to mention the fella , who was speaking kind of got confused with his own information . I dont know if its just me but I dont think he was confortable talking about the lake .

And the fact there going to be 4106 walleye tags for 43 cm and under and 661 class b tags for 43 to 50 cm and then 0 for the class c 50 cm and over .

Also regulating 1 hook per lure so no more pickrell rigs . only 1 treble hook on a rapala or other swim baits .

No bait except for mealworms and maggots .These are all possible changes except for the walleye draw which those will be the tags aloted this year .
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 PM

That first guy had some good things to say sounded pretty knowledgeable. I don't think the F&W guys liked him much though. I liked his thoughts.

Road hunting is not hunting.

Last edited by DuckBrat; 03-03-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
That guy had some good things to say sounded pretty knowledgeable. I don't think the F&W guys liked him much though. I liked his thoughts.
There were lots of great idea's brought up to bad , most if not most were turned up by the biologists nose . Ah well we shall see what they decide . But there management of some of these lakes is pitiful . Sooner run 4 or 5 other species out of a lake rather then stock them and help the entire lake rather then the walleye fishery . Like come on now a 100 cm pike 39 inches .... A spawner so now were keeping the spawning fish . Well come on folks.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM

I support 0 limit on pike until they can recover. The 100 cm limit is a start though, a pike of that size should get to spawn a few times before she's butchered. Hopefully they'll stop the destruction of the spawning habitat by the shore lot owners. It seems to be a huge issue and needs to be addressed.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
I support 0 limit on pike until they can recover. The 100 cm limit is a start though, a pike of that size should get to spawn a few times before she's butchered. Hopefully they'll stop the destruction of the spawning habitat by the shore lot owners. It seems to be a huge issue and needs to be addressed.
Absolutely. If they cant do that , build artificial habitat . you see lakes the the states doing it all the time.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 AM

To allow for a modest pike harvest would be my guess to the one pike over 100 CM size. By putting the size limit there, you are ensuring that the pike has spawned a few times before someone keeps it. Biologists are under a lot of pressure here to manage our lakes in some fashion that will allow for some fish to be kept but to try and maintain the population with in the lake. Problem is, people see how other provinces do it and think that based on the fishing there and how good it seems with liberal catch limits and abundance of species that Alberta should adopt their rules and bingo all our problems be fixed. Well unfortunately, when it comes to fishable waters, lakes, Alberta is the poor child on the block and our regulations have to be totally different to maintain our fisheries. Our population increase and hence greater pressure on our lakes does not allow much wiggle room when it comes to our fisheries.

It is interesting to note that provinces like Ontario are going thru these same type discussions as their fishery is in trouble as well. Reduced possession limits etc.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Also Pigion lake is catch and release unless your the holder of a speacil fish harvest licence. So techinally it is catch and release unless your a holder of a tag. So maybe you sould educate yourself before jumping the gun.

Pigeon Lake & tributaries (excluding Tide Creek) & outlet – Walleye limit 0 – except that the holder of a Special Fish Harvest Licence and tags for this lake may retain during the dates specified, the number and size of walleye specified on the tag; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5 over 25 cm; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 3 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
the portion of lake west of a line drawn from the northwesternmost tip of the point in 13-12-47-2-W5 due north to the point where the line intersects the shoreline of the lake in 13-47-2-W5, locally known as Zeiner Park and including Tide Creek.
CLOSED all year.

Ok......I will use your somewhat warped logic......

Where did I say that you did say it was????

you did definitly imply that it was in you statement that adding pigeon to the list would be a great start .........that would imply that it is catch and release.....but then that would make sense........ which when it comes to you is not a reality......

Mmmmmm smaller yummy walleyes.... Mmmmmmmm in butter and garlic.........
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:

CLOSED all year.

I guess that makes the whole province catch and release when it comes to deer and moose and elk and etc. eh???
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
I guess that makes the whole province catch and release when it comes to deer and moose and elk and etc. eh???
The management between fish and wildlife are two diffrent things . Way diffrent infact .
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
x2 I'm with you 100% HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Wow!!!!!!!!...started to wonder if Happy is ever happy and actually goes fishing.....???????......as said many years ago, "i may not agree with what you say (almost always)....I will however defend your right to say it".....if we all extend that courtesy, it would be a much better forum

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-06-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: language, unwarranted comments.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

I would have to say that a bait ban would be a very good thing for Pigeon I have fished with minnows in pigeon and deeply hooked walleye myself that I knew would not survive but due to the catch and release status in pigeon you have to release the fish to become eagle food.

The same goes for any stream or river that can possibly hold bull trout no bait.

There are really cool plastic grubs out there that fish just like bait.

Also fishing tip ups for pike and or burbot often end up deep in the throat and with a 100 cm size slot up for implementation no bait is a nessesary step I also like the idea of the one hook.

Nice to see the F&W recognizing something darastic needs to happen in order to keep this lake self sustainable.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
There were lots of great idea's brought up to bad , most if not most were turned up by the biologists nose . Ah well we shall see what they decide . But there management of some of these lakes is pitiful . Sooner run 4 or 5 other species out of a lake rather then stock them and help the entire lake rather then the walleye fishery . Like come on now a 100 cm pike 39 inches .... A spawner so now were keeping the spawning fish . Well come on folks.
People keep almost every legal size pike out of pigion they catch. This will aleast give them alot of time to spawn. Personal i would made it 115cm. Because thats actually a size of pike worth mounting. Hopefully no one is keeping that size of pike for the meat but i'm sure lots of people will. There are so few pike over 30inches in pigion right now. I remeber 10+years ago jigging with a wireworm for perch and whitefish minnows at the bottom and all of a sudden a massive pike would come by and grab my hook. I remeber one time this happened about 10 times in 1 day and my grandpa got mad at me because i kept losing his wireworms. I wish it was still like that i miss those days of just screwing around fishing for 2 inch perch and 5inch whitefish. Then having a huge pike grab it and it would get stuck at the hole and brake off. I probably will never see this agian. But these regs are step in the right direction besides the whitefish regs. I know what going on there but certian guys will get offended if i say it so i won't. The perch limit is stupid still but i'm not worried because your probably not going to catch a perch out of there anymore. I wish they would just close burbot down. Theres numbers are way down in there but they could make a comeback as soon as the walleye population drops. I am amazed throw that they put such a high limit on the number of small walleye tags. I'm guessing there trying to protect the spawners now aka the orignal walleye the non stockers. I think there realising that the stockers are going to die soon. Or maybe its because there trying to lower the future number of walleye in pigion so when the stockers die off the other fish might be able to recover. They sould of just left it alone.

I wish they change gull lake regulation thats a lake they can still save but they only got maybe 2 more years to do it. This is a mild version i would do make the pike limit 1 over 110 or 1 bewteen 20-25inches. Make the burbot limit 1 and during the spawn close them down. So feb1 to march 31 its closed for burbot. Whitefish limit would be 2 but during the burbot spawn when there most easily caught there limit would be 1. To prevent overharvest. The perch limit of 5 would stay the same for time being. But this could change to a size limit of 1 over 10 inches and the rest under or something to the likes of that. I would put a baitfish ban on gull from feb1 to march 31. Because as most of you know burbot tend to get hooked deep and alot of people will just rip there 2 dollar hook out and toss it back down the hole instead of cutting line. This is what has to be done if you want gull to still be a quality fishery from 20 years now. This isn't me trying to make it a trophy fisher trust me i would change it alot more then this if it was going to be a trophy fishery. Theres another factor in gull that is just buying its time before it does its damage. Gull is on the path of destruction the amount of anglers has tripled over the last 10 years. The number of fish is down massivly and the size is down 2. A fish that never use to be targeted is now the fisherman choice there. If nothing is down 2 year from now we will start seeing the effects 5 years from now it will be to late and 10 years it will be in the same spot as pigion or worse. Also when the damage is done it can't be undone. They didn't have the fish anymore or the money to restock these lakes. Just to note adding 40,000 perch fry to pigion ins't going to do **** but feed the walleye for about a week. Hell i doubt a million perch fry would even do anything. Your probably looking at 10 of millions of perch fry right now to even give them a chance. Theres no lake anywhere close that can spare that many fish. Driving them from far away isn't a option anymore. Because A it cost way to much money and B they probably would'nt surive the trip. Burbot are way harder to stock and whitefish are getting overharvested everywhere and also whitefish have alot worms and you have to be really careful when stocking. Where going to lose gull soon if nothing is done soon.

But people have to change first but judging how some people are on this message borad. Who keep using the excuse if the goverment allows me to i'm going to do it no matter the damage it does. While we all seen how the goverment moves they wait for the fishery to be destroyed before steping in. Yet they keep using the same argument over and over and over. Or they start bashing the people that try to inform them. They either are inexperinced, blind, or guys that just didn't give a **** and they want catch and release abolished and no limits on everything. I know they will never admit it to it but i know who these guys are just by the way they post. Some guys take shots at me because they plainly didn't like me. I know i have'nt been angel and my post offend some people because they haven't saw the stuff i have seen. Some of you guys are just plain jerks. Like a couple of you guys i had fight with along time ago yet you come into post taking cheap shots trying to start it up agian. You guys need to grow up. I always have a reason for posting. Some times its good to put a little negativity in a post if it has its purpose. But alot of you think its personal attack which most of time it ins't. I'm just ussually trying to raise a issue ussually it about some people constantly harvesting a big fish and everyone posting its perfectly fine to do that. Its not most lakes can't keep up so you then end up with 20-24inch pike like at so many lakes.

I'm going to end it there i'm sure i could of added more but i'm sure i'll end up doing this a week from now agian.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM

Well put Happy!! A lot of careful thought went in to that and I can not agree more!!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM

X 3 Happy perch fisher.

If you weren't at that meeting there last night . I seriously think that you should go tomorrow night. I think many folks would support your idea's . This is a perfect chance for you to voice your opinions and options.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Default Just wondering

It seems to me that if this selfishness of I WANT A WALLY is continued the future of our lakes are headed for disaster. If you believe it is your right to fish then maybe you should be the one to defend the lakes before there isnt anything to fish for. I used to go fishing when there wasnt a need for bait because there was so many fish in the lakes that they fought for food so what ever you dropped down they bit.... those were the days
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
People keep almost every legal size pike out of pigion they catch. This will aleast give them alot of time to spawn. Personal i would made it 115cm. Because thats actually a size of pike worth mounting. Hopefully no one is keeping that size of pike for the meat but i'm sure lots of people will. There are so few pike over 30inches in pigion right now. I remeber 10+years ago jigging with a wireworm for perch and whitefish minnows at the bottom and all of a sudden a massive pike would come by and grab my hook. I remeber one time this happened about 10 times in 1 day and my grandpa got mad at me because i kept losing his wireworms. I wish it was still like that i miss those days of just screwing around fishing for 2 inch perch and 5inch whitefish. Then having a huge pike grab it and it would get stuck at the hole and brake off. I probably will never see this agian. But these regs are step in the right direction besides the whitefish regs. I know what going on there but certian guys will get offended if i say it so i won't. The perch limit is stupid still but i'm not worried because your probably not going to catch a perch out of there anymore. I wish they would just close burbot down. Theres numbers are way down in there but they could make a comeback as soon as the walleye population drops. I am amazed throw that they put such a high limit on the number of small walleye tags. I'm guessing there trying to protect the spawners now aka the orignal walleye the non stockers. I think there realising that the stockers are going to die soon. Or maybe its because there trying to lower the future number of walleye in pigion so when the stockers die off the other fish might be able to recover. They sould of just left it alone.

I wish they change gull lake regulation thats a lake they can still save but they only got maybe 2 more years to do it. This is a mild version i would do make the pike limit 1 over 110 or 1 bewteen 20-25inches. Make the burbot limit 1 and during the spawn close them down. So feb1 to march 31 its closed for burbot. Whitefish limit would be 2 but during the burbot spawn when there most easily caught there limit would be 1. To prevent overharvest. The perch limit of 5 would stay the same for time being. But this could change to a size limit of 1 over 10 inches and the rest under or something to the likes of that. I would put a baitfish ban on gull from feb1 to march 31. Because as most of you know burbot tend to get hooked deep and alot of people will just rip there 2 dollar hook out and toss it back down the hole instead of cutting line. This is what has to be done if you want gull to still be a quality fishery from 20 years now. This isn't me trying to make it a trophy fisher trust me i would change it alot more then this if it was going to be a trophy fishery. Theres another factor in gull that is just buying its time before it does its damage. Gull is on the path of destruction the amount of anglers has tripled over the last 10 years. The number of fish is down massivly and the size is down 2. A fish that never use to be targeted is now the fisherman choice there. If nothing is down 2 year from now we will start seeing the effects 5 years from now it will be to late and 10 years it will be in the same spot as pigion or worse. Also when the damage is done it can't be undone. They didn't have the fish anymore or the money to restock these lakes. Just to note adding 40,000 perch fry to pigion ins't going to do **** but feed the walleye for about a week. Hell i doubt a million perch fry would even do anything. Your probably looking at 10 of millions of perch fry right now to even give them a chance. Theres no lake anywhere close that can spare that many fish. Driving them from far away isn't a option anymore. Because A it cost way to much money and B they probably would'nt surive the trip. Burbot are way harder to stock and whitefish are getting overharvested everywhere and also whitefish have alot worms and you have to be really careful when stocking. Where going to lose gull soon if nothing is done soon.

But people have to change first but judging how some people are on this message borad. Who keep using the excuse if the goverment allows me to i'm going to do it no matter the damage it does. While we all seen how the goverment moves they wait for the fishery to be destroyed before steping in. Yet they keep using the same argument over and over and over. Or they start bashing the people that try to inform them. They either are inexperinced, blind, or guys that just didn't give a **** and they want catch and release abolished and no limits on everything. I know they will never admit it to it but i know who these guys are just by the way they post. Some guys take shots at me because they plainly didn't like me. I know i have'nt been angel and my post offend some people because they haven't saw the stuff i have seen. Some of you guys are just plain jerks. Like a couple of you guys i had fight with along time ago yet you come into post taking cheap shots trying to start it up agian. You guys need to grow up. I always have a reason for posting. Some times its good to put a little negativity in a post if it has its purpose. But alot of you think its personal attack which most of time it ins't. I'm just ussually trying to raise a issue ussually it about some people constantly harvesting a big fish and everyone posting its perfectly fine to do that. Its not most lakes can't keep up so you then end up with 20-24inch pike like at so many lakes.

I'm going to end it there i'm sure i could of added more but i'm sure i'll end up doing this a week from now agian.

well done HPF!! I couldnt agree more!