Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 AM

Default Prefered Ice Fishing clothes: what do you wear?

What you you guys wear?

I have been looking at some ice fishing clothing.

I have the foot wear covered but I got to thinking that those Mustang Survival Classic Coat/pant or one piece outfit should work great.

My thinking is, if they will protect you from hypothermia in fidget water then they should be great when dry as you are sitting in an ice fishing chair. The heavy nylon for wind protection and a insulation value should be a plus?

BTW, those little disposable hand-warmer packets are my new friend.

Thanks in advance for your input,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
What you you guys wear?

I have been looking at some ice fishing clothing.

I have the foot wear covered but I got to thinking that those Mustang Survival Classic Coat/pant or one piece outfit should work great.

My thinking is, if they will protect you from hypothermia in fidget water then they should be great when dry as you are sitting in an ice fishing chair. The heavy nylon for wind protection and a insulation value should be a plus?

BTW, those little disposable hand-warmer packets are my new friend.

Thanks in advance for your input,
I wear UnderArmour long johns, Clam's Ice Armour snow pants/bib, a hoodie with a long sleeve underneath and a goretex Sitka jacket. Sorel boots with thick insulated socks. Biggest needs for me are insulation, water proof and knee pads in my pants. The Ice Armour has built in knee pads (I'm sure just about all pants geared towards ice anglers have them). Also don't forget to have your ice picks!

No complaints!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:43 AM

Wind proof top and bottom, waterproof at least bottom(for kneeling etc), warmk, room for layers underneath(dependent on your body heat capabilities). Knee pads are nice if you don't want to lug chair around. Lighter weight is nice as some of this clothing gets pretty heavy and bulky.

Survival in the water isn't a factor for me. I would rather have clothing designed to be comfortable and warm above water. Would you buy a jeep for daily driving in the city just because it is good for off roading?

There are a number of ice fishing specific clothing by Clam, Frabill, Cabelas etc. Those are some of the better options but it is also possible to get work/skiing/snowmobiling clothing that will do the job.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM

I wear helly Hansen extreme cold jacket and pants with long johns and jeans if I get to hot
Old 01-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Wind proof top and bottom, waterproof at least bottom(for kneeling etc), warmk, room for layers underneath(dependent on your body heat capabilities). Knee pads are nice if you don't want to lug chair around. Lighter weight is nice as some of this clothing gets pretty heavy and bulky.

Survival in the water isn't a factor for me. I would rather have clothing designed to be comfortable and warm above water. Would you buy a jeep for daily driving in the city just because it is good for off roading?

There are a number of ice fishing specific clothing by Clam, Frabill, Cabelas etc. Those are some of the better options but it is also possible to get work/skiing/snowmobiling clothing that will do the job.
I mention the Mustang suit because I have a line on one.

My concern is for the warmth value while idly sitting ice fishing not for survival......Hahahaha I had a good laugh....that was funny; I appreciate your humor, and your recommendations.....

I currently wear my old heavy nylon snowboarding pants.
Thanks again....

Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I mention the Mustang suit because I have a line on one.

My concern is for the warmth value while idly sitting ice fishing not for survival......Hahahaha I had a good laugh....that was funny; I appreciate your humor, and your recommendations.....

I currently wear my old heavy nylon snowboarding pants.
Thanks again....
I understand I am just pointing out that your thinking may be flawed(maybe not though).

Are mustang survival suits designed for + temperature water actually warmer then winter gear designed for -40 air temps? Does the buoyancy foam actually have better insulation values then down etc? If they are warmer does the extra warmth make up for the extra bulk(those suits are pretty bulky if I remember right)?

I honestly haven't used one so I don't know the answer to those questions, I just know that cold water isn't actually that cold so I am not sure they are the best choice considering some of the high end clothing available(Cabelas Guidewear etc).

All I am saying is go shop around and try out the different options. Lots of the ice fishing specific gear is probably going on sale/clearance now so a guy can probably find some good deals.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I understand I am just pointing out that your thinking may be flawed(maybe not though).

Are mustang survival suits designed for + temperature water actually warmer then winter gear designed for -40 air temps? Does the buoyancy foam actually have better insulation values then down etc? If they are warmer does the extra warmth make up for the extra bulk(those suits are pretty bulky if I remember right)?
I am on the same page; good points you made.

Now with your water temp vs cold weather temp debate, I am inclined to swing in the direction of the cold weather clothing.
(the ambient temperature of -30C is = to ice; I am siting in a chair on the ice not swimming in it....lol)

By getting the Mustang suit at a good price I was thinking that hmm, maybe I am onto something?......Wrong.

Thanks for your input, RavYak.... and my search continues....

Old 01-29-2018, 12:58 PM

I'm really big on layers. Long johns....sweat pants....wind pants.....snow pants. Long sleeved shirt....tshirt.....hoodie....fleece....parka. Heavy snow boots. Toque...neck warmer....heavy blue/yellow work gloves. The only thing that sucks about ice fishing is the cold, so do everything you can to prevent that. Keep warm at all costs!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:56 PM

long johns and jeans, t shirt and good heavy jacket, toque and the white glove liners, and good pair of sorrell boots.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM

I have Ice Breaker Merino wool leggings and top, and a Under Armor thermal shirt I wear with plain old sweatpants as my the clothes below my outwear. I like the bib style snow pants, and have a down filled bomber style parka. The bib pants are versatile in that you can change your coat according to the conditions and regulate your overall temperature.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Striker ice!!!!! These things float and they are made specifically for ice fishing. I use a set of the predator bibs and they are in the top 3 things I have ever bought for ice fishing. I looked at other floating suits like the Mustang, Ice armour, and FXR. It took me 2 years to make up my mind and then actually part with the cash. Considering how well they work it is of the best investments I ever made. On top of that they keep you floating if you do break through and give a guy a fighting chance of self rescue.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM

My 2 cents.......

Hand warmers: instead of disposable, another option is the Zippo hand warmers. I know most people are scared because there is a flame (very tiny) but they are safe and work great. They are more $$$ but your not left with something to throw away every time but you do need zippo fluid.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/zi...-0757143p.html

Survival suit/bibs/jacket: There is a similar suit/bibs jacket that floats that is made by Striker Ice. Other brands like Frabill and Clam that will work, they just don't float like Striker Ice. Not sure if Striker is easy to find in Canada though.
http://www.strikerstore.com/Hard-Wat...s-p/214000.htm

Underwear: Anything merino wool is a great options. Wool when soaking wet will still hold 80% of the heat in.

Enjoy the hardwater!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
Not sure if Striker is easy to find in Canada though.
The Fishin' Hole sells some of their gear.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:17 PM

Personally I prefer a separate jacket and bibs vs. a one piece suit. I like being able to wear one or the other as required.

If you go that way, I really like the Cabelas Guidewear line. The extreme late season line is very warm, waterproof, and designed for fishing. It's spendy but they go on sale frequently.

Nothing wrong with a survival suit if you have a line on it, and would actually be cheaper than the Cabelas Jacket and Bibs. No one ever fell through the ice and said Damn I wish I didn't have this survival suit on haha.

Oh and the Helly Hansen long johns/undershirt are awesome too, you can get them at Mark's Work Warehouse. Just wait for one of those sitewide sales.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 PM

This outfit has always worked for me in most situations up to -40 ... after that you might want to consider a lightweight jacket or casket ... j/k ;D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11007961_1521371751420890_1796478222_n.jpg (23.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1977 View Post
I wear helly Hansen extreme cold jacket and pants with long johns and jeans if I get to hot
x2

Helly Hanson jacket & helly hanson hi bib pants

never get cold with those on.

Orv.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:

I honestly haven't used one so I don't know the answer to those questions, I just know that cold water isn't actually that cold so I am not sure they are the best choice considering some of the high end clothing available(Cabelas Guidewear etc).

All I am saying is go shop around and try out the different options. Lots of the ice fishing specific gear is probably going on sale/clearance now so a guy can probably find some good deals.
I have the bib overhauls by mustang , they do not breath and you sweat big time in them .
Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM

Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 PM

Frabill Black 2 piece Ice suit. Some of the Best money I ever spent on ice fishing gear. Vents so you don’t overheat, articulated elbows & knees, knee pads, lots of pockets, heavy duty zippers, hand warmer pockets and it’s super warm. You don’t have to layer up too heavy wearing that suit even in -20.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 AM

I have the Mustang full flotation survival ice suit, I'm not sure of the model.
I find it very warm. I've used it to plow a few driveways at -32 with a 20K wind and was comfortable in it.
I hardly ever zip up the jacket while ice fishing at -10 or above.
The only problem I have with it is, if you have to take a leak,
you have to take off the jacket and drop the bibs,
THERE'S NO FLY because of the full flotation.
Other than that one issue, I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:25 AM

Something along these lines

Tough Duck coat

Hoodie

SunIce fleece lined snow pants
Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 AM

I have a mustang flotation suit, one piece. I have used it on ice and cold water from +10 to -45. They are a great cold weather suit. If you happen to fall into freezing water, not only will it help you get out, it will help keep you warm enough to survive till you can get to where you can dry off.

Not ice fishing but a story worth relating. I wore one fishing an early spring tournament on Lake Erie. The second day waves got up over 20 feet with pounding rain. I was toasty warm and dry, my fishing partner had on insulated Gortex jacket and Bibs. He near froze to death. He bought a Mustang suit right after.

Another fellow from Ont fell in trying to net a fish, luckily he had the full flotation suit on and bobbed around for 20 minutes till his partner could get the boats started, turned around and pick him up. He was just fine and he sure would not have been in regular cold weather gear.

There are lots of things that will work on ice but the great thing about the Mustangs is there wide versatility. If you can get one at a good price you sure won't be sorry.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM

There you go graybeard some first hand knowledge on the mustangs make them sound worthwhile to at least look at. Sounds like breathability might be the main downside compared to some options but not something a guy can't work around(proper underlayers, leaving it undone or taking it off if physically exerting yourself etc).
Old 01-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Check out the clothes they make for snowmobiling. Their bibs are waterproof, windproof and very warm. I wear a pair of Reima snow bibs. Not cheap but they have lasted for 20 years. Always warm a d dry. Couple those with a canada goose parka and you can fish in the worst weather
Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM

I plan on walking my dog outside today and my mom isn't here to dress me. What should I wear?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjim View Post
I plan on walking my dog outside today and my mom isn't here to dress me. What should I wear?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Your skirt, as usual?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Your skirt, as usual?
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Striker ice!!!!! These things float and they are made specifically for ice fishing. I use a set of the predator bibs and they are in the top 3 things I have ever bought for ice fishing. I looked at other floating suits like the Mustang, Ice armour, and FXR. It took me 2 years to make up my mind and then actually part with the cash. Considering how well they work it is of the best investments I ever made. On top of that they keep you floating if you do break through and give a guy a fighting chance of self rescue.
X2 I have the full predator bibs and they are awesome in everyway

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Prefered Ice Fishing clothes: what do you wear

A few years ago I purchased the Striker Hardwater jacket and bib overalls. The best money I have ever spent. Not just the floating part of them but the warmth is unbelievable. The wind does not penetrate the suit. The fellow who sold them to me said don't dress too heavy with this suit. I don't wear long johns anymore. Fished the other day til 7 pm, never even had the jacket done up and it was cold out. Spend the money on these, you won't be disappointed that you did. My two cents worth.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 PM

i am a layer type guy

boxers & set of john's /Wool socks/ jeans & t-shirt /sweater zip up neck /painter coveralls breathable/ with a Carhartt jacket either under or over/hiking boots water proof /neck warmer/scarf / gloves/ mitts/1 man ice tent with seat & pillow /Black Cat heater propane 1 bottle /been in -34 catching white's

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fickle Lake Whitefish.jpg (50.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 002_zps5aafe049.jpg (44.3 KB, 25 views)