Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Default Predator hunting at night? Your thoughts?

I'm curious as to what others think of night hunting for coyotes and wolves as a viable managemt tool to reduce numbers in certain areas...

I know a couple F & W and both their opinions are different.

Like many others, i've seen wolf numbers increase sharply in the areas i hunt. Down in the crowsnest pass these past 2 weekends i saw wolf tracks all over the place. more than a couple times they were in my tracks... they seem to always come out at night.

i'm on the fence on this one. part of me thinks we need an advantage to thin them out but another part thinks it's not fair chase...
Old 12-01-2014, 04:05 PM

The only way you can legally kill a coyote at night is if you accidentally run them over or you legally trap them.

There are provisions in several acts that prohibit the discharge of a firearm at night....hunting or not.

LC
Old 12-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The only way you can legally kill a coyote at night is if you accidentally run them over or you legally trap them.

There are provisions in several acts that prohibit the discharge of a firearm at night....hunting or not.

LC
I think he is aware of that, he is just asking what our opinions on the matter are.
I too am on the fence about this one, they do it down in the states with great success but part of me wonders how many stray bullets would hit an unintended target. Unfortunately it happens during daylight hours so I can only imagine what it would be like with people shooting in the pitch black.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
I'm curious as to what others think of night hunting for coyotes and wolves as a viable managemt tool to reduce numbers in certain areas...

I know a couple F & W and both their opinions are different.

Like many others, i've seen wolf numbers increase sharply in the areas i hunt. Down in the crowsnest pass these past 2 weekends i saw wolf tracks all over the place. more than a couple times they were in my tracks... they seem to always come out at night.

i'm on the fence on this one. part of me thinks we need an advantage to thin them out but another part thinks it's not fair chase...
Its less about being 'fair chase' and more about safe discharge of a firearm. How many stories do we read on AO forum every year about guys not feeling comfortable in broad daylight let alone in pitch darkness.

Not a chance would I ever be for any form of firearm or bow hunting at night.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Our FN brothers are exempt from all those laws? Night shift guys will want to know..
Old 12-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
Our FN brothers are exempt from all those laws? Night shift guys will want to know..
Ummm. Pardon?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Default night

Sadly, yes, the FN's are exempt from this law.
24/7, 365.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Its less about being 'fair chase' and more about safe discharge of a firearm. How many stories do we read on AO forum every year about guys not feeling comfortable in broad daylight let alone in pitch darkness.

Not a chance would I ever be for any form of firearm or bow hunting at night.
X2

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:23 PM

I don't see how you could ever be certain of what might be in the background, even in an area you know quite well I don't think it would be safe to start shooting at night. I wouldn't want to see any changes that allowed for people to start shooting after dark. Poaching would become even more of a problem I would think.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:

LC
Some people need clarification... I know the rules. I'm asking your opinions.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 PM

My opinion.......which is only important to me lol. Bad idea! Easy enough to become unsure of whats downstream from a shot even in the daylight. Anyone that will not admit they have become even moderaly unsure of what is in the distance in the fog or a snow storm ect. Is full of s..t
Old 12-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Some people need clarification... I know the rules. I'm asking your opinions.
I don't think shooting/hunting at night is a good idea....also leaves open loopholes for abuse.

LC
Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post
24/7, 365.
This is not correct
Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
This is not correct

This is correct
Old 12-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Banned

No it's illegal

On top of that trapping is much more effective
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Gone Hunting

I've hunted predators at night in the states and in Africa.

Not my thing. I enjoy daytime when I can see what the predator is doing.A lot of places allow night hunting and don't seem to have random killings any more than daytime areas.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 PM

I'm all for it. Would love to shoot some coyotes around here in the dark. O
Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

With how close some of those dogs have got to me while calling in mid day no thanks kind of creepy not being able to see always behind you other day called one and finally I look behind me he's 20 yards COMMING at me no thanks
Old 12-01-2014, 11:26 PM

I'd rather the rules change in favor of using an AR to hunt em, rather then night hunts.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I'd rather the rules change in favor of using an AR to hunt em, rather then night hunts.
Let's push for both and compromise with one or the other!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post
24/7, 365.

Not correct within Alberta. FN's do not have an exemtion from the Alberta wildlife act firearm discharge regulations.

Quote:
I don't think shooting/hunting at night is a good idea....also leaves open loopholes for abuse.

LC
With this logic, everything must be made illegal....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

With this logic, everything must be made illegal....
That's your opinion....not mine, if you can't see what is beyond your target....why would you shoot?

"I never shot that deer....I shot a coyote and missed, I don't know who shot that deer!"

LC
Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 AM

I think it would be reasonable to be able to use a shot gun loaded up with Dead Coyote loads or heavy turkey loads and be able to shoot at night. There are several times each winter where under a full moon , with the snow you can see as good as day light. All this being said I'm not sure how you legislate it or put in a proposal that would make sense. Obviously using a high power rifle would be a no- no. Anyway let the meeting of the closed minds proceed.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
I think it would be reasonable to be able to use a shot gun loaded up with Dead Coyote loads or heavy turkey loads and be able to shoot at night. There are several times each winter where under a full moon , with the snow you can see as good as day light. All this being said I'm not sure how you legislate it or put in a proposal that would make sense. Obviously using a high power rifle would be a no- no. Anyway let the meeting of the closed minds proceed.
I would be all for this. Keeps acidents from happening and requires a bit of skill to get them close enough to shoot.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:44 AM

If numbers are getting out of hand I think there are other measures that could be taken before implementing night hunting. I think night hunting is potentially dangerous, and also gives cover to guys out spotlighting deer. If predator numbers are excessive perhaps extend seasons on public land or eliminate the requirement to harvest fur on public land.

IF there were to be a push to allow night hunting, I'd say only on private land. At least then you are less likely to have unaware parties accidentally shot, and landowners can control.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:53 AM

In a previous life (in Australia) almost all my hunting was done at night.
I think you guys have a lot of misunderstandings about how it works.
I don't think I've ever heard of an hunter accidentally shooting a person in Australia (actually, I think there was a deer hunter about 8 years ago). How many times a year does it happen here?
For a start, you use a good spotlight. This does not allow mis-identifaction of your prey. It also allows you to see what is behind your prey. You can also see any other hunters (not that there's likely to be anyone else out there) as they are using lights also. You can see anyone who is out and about in fact.
You simply don't take 600m shots at night. There's no need and it's not viable.
Again, the argument that it would increase poaching. Seriously. I'm not going to break the law now, even though there's virtually no chance of being caught. But if they let people legally hunt at night, I'm going to start breaking the law.
I'm not for or against, although I would definately shoots yotes here at night as they often come near the house at night. But if you are going to argue against, at least make your arguments factual.
Oh yeah, we can't trap here as we walk the dogs through the area most days.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Again, the argument that it would increase poaching. Seriously. I'm not going to break the law now, even though there's virtually no chance of being caught. But if they let people legally hunt at night, I'm going to start breaking the law.
You misunderstand. I'm not saying night hunting would make any honest person a criminal. What I'm saying that as it sits now, a light at night and shooting draws immediate attention to a poacher. If night hunting of predators were allowed, those poachers would also probably be out there hunting deer at night, as they would draw no particular attention.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
In a previous life (in Australia) almost all my hunting was done at night.
I think you guys have a lot of misunderstandings about how it works.
I don't think I've ever heard of an hunter accidentally shooting a person in Australia (actually, I think there was a deer hunter about 8 years ago). How many times a year does it happen here?
For a start, you use a good spotlight. This does not allow mis-identifaction of your prey. It also allows you to see what is behind your prey. You can also see any other hunters (not that there's likely to be anyone else out there) as they are using lights also. You can see anyone who is out and about in fact.
You simply don't take 600m shots at night. There's no need and it's not viable.
I'm not for or against, although I would definately shoots yotes here at night as they often come near the house at night. But if you are going to argue against, at least make your arguments factual.
Oh yeah, we can't trap here as we walk the dogs through the area most days.
I have hunted in this province for 27 years. I still hold off on shooting occasionally because im unsure of whats over the hill that sits 150 yards out. How on earth do you effectively make yourself aware of your entire surroundings under darkness? I don't really care how or where they do it. Im only concerned with my homefront, and frankly if a guy that hunts as much as I do would feel uncomfortable with my own safety and moreso the safety of others, I think that's more relevant than anything. I can just imagine the guys that have been pounding the bush for 1 or 2 years out with spotlights slinging bullets. Makes me cringe. Statistically I really don't care where night hunting stands, common sense dictates its not for me.

Statistically speaking im not going to get knifed stepping outside with a guy im having a disagreement at a bar. Common sense dictates in this day and age the first thing I need to watch out for is a blade or a gun.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I've hunted predators at night in the states and in Africa.

Not my thing. I enjoy daytime when I can see what the predator is doing.A lot of places allow night hunting and don't seem to have random killings any more than daytime areas.
X2. 100% agree.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
This.^^^^^

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand