Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Couple of questions?

Stocked lakes. What is your favourite around Peace River? Are they open all year around?

What is the closest lake for whitefish around Peace River? My kid loves eating whitefish and I have never fished for them so I need to find a lake close to us.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 AM

Figure Eight Lake is probably the best stocked pond with Rainbows and a few Browns,. There are 10 pounders in the lake.. I heard that a 12 pound brown was caught last season. My brother caught a 4lbs Brown last year though I've yet to see or catch one. For Whitefish head east to Haig.. Where you can catch nice Walleye as well. Sawn is nearby also and has big Jacks and rumored browns..
Both lakes are used less frequently than others near Valleyview (Snipe or Sturgeon, also good choices) if your into seclusion.. Sawn is not far from Haig and is hardly fished at all. Best bet is to buy the Alberta Fishing Guide at the local magazine shop and pick your trip... but Figure Eight is a shoe in. have fun!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:33 AM

Sawn hasn't had browns for years and also unless it is a dry year just about impossable to make in as it is a winter road only.....peace river biologist has stopped stocking browns in the peace area he was getting to much pressure from the locals on how hard they r to catch..........stoney lake is a alot easier lake for a novice to fish compare to figure eight.....figure eight lake is more a advid fisherman lake if you are a good fisherman you will do well and if you know how to fish browns which are 3 years plus as only rainbows are being stocked......i have caught very big fish in this lake but unless you understand the bio mass in this lake forget thinking u r going to catch lots and big fish especially if you want your kids to have fun..........stoney is very easy to catch fish and your kids will enjoy it or take them to east dollar as the fish are fairly easy to catch there but no camping and average size fish is a little smaller then stoney.................figure eight has so much food base that the fish grow big and can be very finicky........there is a lake over by swan hills that has about the same food base or maybe even more and it should be made into a trophy lake......the catch is it winter kills every year except for the odd fish ....if they aerated it you would see fish bigger then swan lake fish......sorry got off the subject.....i hope this help..trying not to discourage you but tell you how it is especialy for the kids
Old 06-08-2008, 05:27 PM

Was at Stoney a long time ago, probably 10 years, never caught a thing. West of Peace River is really slow fishing territory. Try out at Heart River Dam, used to catch pike in decent numbers. If you want whitefish your best bet is a net and someone with a netting license. Have only ever caught them just after ice out, but then again never really fished for them specifically.