Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Default where to take some newbies?

Hi everyone, here is my situation. I am taking my nephew (13 yrs old) and brother in-law out fishing next weekend. They are both very new to fishing and I want to have a good day. I haven't fished much in Alberta and would like somewhere within 1 1/2 Hr drive max. I am not counting on keeping any fish, but the possibility to would be nice.

I have a 14' aluminum boat with 9.4 hp motor on a trailer and need a boat launch. We will be trolling with the possibility of anchoring and casting.

My fishing experience in the area is very limited and I haven't been out yet this year.
I have been to Travers Res about 3 times. I use the little bow boat launch and didn't discover the spill way until the third time when I caught about 6 fish. The only problem is it takes about 25 min to get there in my little boat and even longer when its windy! I haven't caught any keeper walleyes there but 2 were only about 5 cm short.

I have heard good things about pine coulee in terms of catching large numbers but can't keep ant walleyes and not a fan of keeping pike.

I have been to upper and lower K Lakes each once. Lower K my wife caught a good size bull trout that was released of course, and that was it for the day. Upper K we were skunked, but the scenery at both lakes were unbelievable (seen a bear and 2 moose). I have heard that these 2 lakes are really hit and miss and the best way to hit them is to fly fish due to the bait ban.

Chain lakes was ok, but only caught really small fish and was very crowded with douche bags that would pass 10 feet behind my boat and snag my lines, and some other tool water skiing even though there is a big sign that says "no water skiing". I don't care to go back there.

I have never fished ghost lake. I could use some info on where and what to use for some trout.

Also like same info on spray lakes. I drove by it once last year and it looked like a good place.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post some pics of our adventure when we get back.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 PM

you could try Badger Lake, dont know how its fishing lately, but its not far and has an assortment of fish, including some monster pike and the odd walleye. This site has some great maps to help you out, including Badger
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/MapsPhotos...s/Default.aspx

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Banned

good luck on your quest. pity your not further north (edm.) where you would have a lot more oppurtunities. hope you have a good time.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 AM

You will probably find that Ghost and Spray are similar to Upper and Lower Kananaskis.... very hit and miss if you don't know what you're doing.

It might be a little farther than you want to drive, but Beaver Mines Lake SW of Pincher Creek is usually a good place to catch your average sized stocked rainbows, but there have been some pretty decent fish coming out of there this year.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Swalwell reservoir is stocked with rainbows and isn't fished as much as a lot of the other stocked ponds, its about an hour NE of Calgary. Just use a p-rig with bait and you will catch the limit. Gas motors aren't allowed by ist pretty small so paddling won't be a big deal.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I checked out the beaver mines lake on google and it looks like a really good spot, but too far for this trip. I think we will hit one of the K lakes and if we are not having much luck then we might swing by chain lakes on the way home and catch some baby trout. what should we use at kananaskis lakes?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Slim none and never are your chances at the K Lakes.

Save the gas and go down to Chain. It is only an hour from you and the kids will catch some fish.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Chain Lakes is your ticket.

1) Get a silver williams wobbler and remove the hook (this is your flasher) - add swivel to each end to avoid tangles.

2) Run a 24"-30" leader of mono to a small spin n'glow with a double hook set up

3) Troll around and have some fun with some little rainbows - kids will have a blast
Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM

I know I can catch fish at chain lakes for sure, just not sure if I want to deal with the crowds and retards. Having people snag your line because they are too dumb to see you're fishing is not much fun. It happened 3 times there last summer by people who weren't even fishing but playing in their speed boats. Its like going to the public range at noon on a saturday! Lol. I am sure chain lake is probably pretty good on a weekday, but my nephew is in school and its way too early in the school year to miss a day.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmtobias View Post
I know I can catch fish at chain lakes for sure, just not sure if I want to deal with the crowds and retards. Having people snag your line because they are too dumb to see you're fishing is not much fun. It happened 3 times there last summer by people who weren't even fishing but playing in their speed boats. Its like going to the public range at noon on a saturday! Lol. I am sure chain lake is probably pretty good on a weekday, but my nephew is in school and its way too early in the school year to miss a day.
You obviously do not know where Chain Lakes is. There are no speed boats at Chain because the speed limit is 12KPH

I have fished there hundreds of times and never had a problem with any other boaters. I as have several others from this site fished it everyday of the week in summer and winter, so I just don't know where you get off telling others you were harassed by speed boat.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM

I can't say that I've ever seen a speedboat on Chain Lakes either.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
You obviously do not know where Chain Lakes is. There are no speed boats at Chain because the speed limit is 12KPH

I have fished there hundreds of times and never had a problem with any other boaters. I as have several others from this site fished it everyday of the week in summer and winter, so I just don't know where you get off telling others you were harassed by speed boat.
I DO know where chain lakes is and i used to fish there lots with out trouble as well, the last 2 times i was there it was early in the season and there was a boat full of guys that decided to water ski for about 45 minutes even though there are speed limit signs posted on shore. It blew my mind because the lake is so narrow they had to slow right down just turn around. The other 2 times there were bigger ski type boats that would pass about 25 feet behind my boat and snagged my line (not speeding). I am sure that lots of people fish lots of places without trouble, but it seems that place on a nice weekend (especially spring) is not worth the trouble. Just because there are rules posted doesn't mean everyone follows them. There are speed limits on the roads yet people still speed, so it shouldn't be that hard believe that someone was speeding on the lake. I have heard people reporting poachers at a lake that i always go to but i have never seen it so i guess they must have their lakes confused with another too?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I can't say that I've ever seen a speedboat on Chain Lakes either.
I have fished there lots and have only ever seen the 2. The guy that snagged my line wasn't speeding. It looked like he was just testing it out after sitting for the winter and besides snagging my line 2 times, he wasn't really bothering anyone. Like I said in my previous post, the guy water skiing blew my mind!! There were a couple of guys in a canoe that almost tipped over I the waves they were creating. When we got to the launch they were already gone but another guy said he got their license plate and was going to report them. I know it probably isn't common to see speed boats out there, but it does happen.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I have fished there lots and have only ever seen the 2. The guy that snagged my line wasn't speeding. It looked like he was just testing it out after sitting for the winter and besides snagging my line 2 times, he wasn't really bothering anyone. Like I said in my previous post, the guy water skiing blew my mind!! There were a couple of guys in a canoe that almost tipped over I the waves they were creating. When we got to the launch they were already gone but another guy said he got their license plate and was going to report them. I know it probably isn't common to see speed boats out there, but it does happen.
Lol. The first time I went fishing last year was at chain lakes shore fishing with my friend and we saw a speed boat trolling. I don't think that he went above the speed limit when he was coming in but it still made some big waves. Maybe we were there on the same day. Haha. This thread has seemed to have gotten side tracked a bit though. Anyways, I am too new to tell you what lake to go to, but good luck.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to flame you, I am just surprised that something like that happened. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised though considering some of the things that have happened in the Indian Graves area over the years. Apparently some people are natural born idiots.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relearner View Post
Lol. The first time I went fishing last year was at chain lakes shore fishing with my friend and we saw a speed boat trolling. I don't think that he went above the speed limit when he was coming in but it still made some big waves. Maybe we were there on the same day. Haha. This thread has seemed to have gotten side tracked a bit though. Anyways, I am too new to tell you what lake to go to, but good luck.
Lol, maybe it was the same day. It can be a popular place because it is so close to Calgary and is almost guaranteed to catch a fish. Seeing as how everyone else has had such good experiences there, I might give it another shot, but if I see another speed boat I am taking a picture and posting it! Lol. And yes, we did get a little side tracked. I have heard of some decent fishing up by rocky mountain house. Does anyone know of any??