Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Default 14wt salt water rods

Hey guys, does anybody on here have any experience with big gear like this? I am looking to buy a rod in the 14wt range new or used it doesnt matter. I put an ad on the buy and sell to see if anybody has anything interesting but if not i might need to buy new. Any suggestions would help, thanks!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM

Wow!! What'cha going to fish for?

P

-Confucius
Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Sage has what I would guess to be a 13wt that is 8'6" and runs about $850 bucks US (I suspect that that would be around $1500 Cnd. at the current state of our dollar!) Frankly I have never known anyone to want such a heavy rod so I have to ask the question ... what species are you targeting and where ??? I think I want a piece of that 14wt action! My Winston 10wt handled even the biggest tarpon with relative ease (though I personally took a pounding and lost about 5lbs in sweat!) Good luck in your hunt!

http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-rods/saltwater/salt/

http://www.winstonrods.com/category/rods/boronIIISX.php

Oh and thanks ... now I am longing for saltwater again and I just kicked that monkey off my back a few months back.

FFG

FFG

“Do unto those downstream as you would have those upstream do unto you.”
― Wendell Berry
Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 AM

I have an 11wt sage xi3 that I had another cork section put on further up but I am not comfortable with it for larger fish. Just lack of confidence with it I guess as I played a 100+lb sailfish with it and it just didnt seem like it had much more in it than that. I also played about a 10lb tuna with it that kicked my *****, wow are they strong, stronger than that sailfish. Anyway, ill keep the 11wt for tarpon but im headed to cabo in december for stripe marlin, hence the 14wt.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 PM

Redington makes a much more cost effective 14 wt than Sage (Predator - $249 US). If you are just planning to use it for the occasional trip you may consider it. I picked up one for billfish but have not managed to hook one yet.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:16 PM

Orvis Helios 2 $1200 CDN its a 4 piece
Old 07-29-2015, 03:19 PM

Default 14 wt

Hey Steve. I have a 4pc 14 wt lifting rod. 8' long. Designed by Russ Hampton and Ray Hutcherson. Shorter rod gets the billfish closer to the boat so you don't break the rod. Rod goes for $350 US though. Ray makes them. My rod is
a Sea Level Extreme Offshore Fly Rod.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 PM

TFO blue water series has some heavy rods; by heavy I mean 16wt+ and relatively cheap. Here's a link; http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/r...l#.VblJVIpOLCQ
Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 PM

Thanks for your input guys, I think the best choice for me is the blue water hd from TFO. I can wreck a few of them before it would add up to what any of the high end rods would cost. Hopefully I can post some decent pics in december.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:59 PM

I have done sum saltwater fly fishing and gave up on long rods, mostly cause its too hard to get big fish in close enough to net or land, mostly kingfish, salmon and snapper, much prefer a 9ft 10wt sage, but the extra distance is nice with a bigger rod.
I like my 11ft 7 wt ,switch rod for inshore salt,
I can tell you that a 45lb kingfish on a 14ft rod is very tough, to get close enough to land, esp with a 20lb tippet. pretty much put me off such a long rod.

Kinda depends on what you are doing,
use a shorter rod if on a boat.