Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 AM

Default Lake trout

I live in Edmonton and have never eaten lake trout, but have heard that it is good. I have virtually no fishing experience and no boat, and have been told that an angler is allowed to keep only 1 legal lake trout per year. Are there any lakes, other that Cold Lake, where I could try for this fish from shore? I understand this method is not the optimum one.

Please excuse me if the question sounds silly.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Hey Cowboy,
Stick with the pike walleye and perch.Lakers are not easily accesible from shore other than in early spring or late fall from shore,IF you can find the perfect place to fish from.Cold lake is probably your only bet other than Grist lake in Northern Alberta or Pierce lake just across the border into Sask.You may want to round up a few buds and try a fly in trip....Mikisew sport fishing
if you are really bent on Lakers.Honestly tho...lakers are not that great...save for the smaller ones,to eat.They are oily and sometimes soft.We fish Cold and Pierce and do keep a few in the 3 -5lb range to eat...check the regs for size and catch limit...it changes with the lake you are fishing.
Hope this helps....good luck