Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Banned

Default 2 Questions

First question......How many lines can you guys have in the water each,icefishing?We only get one.

Second,I`m looking to buy one of those Clam type Icehuts,what is a good one?Fabrill,Clam,I don`t want to drop 4 or 5 hundred on a peice of crap.Looking to get a 2 man so the wife will come with me.Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM

2 lines while ice fishing. Don't get a 2 man, spend a little more for a four person, you will be much happier if you are taking the missus and have the little extra room.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Banned

i agree with diamond. if you can afford go for the bigger tent. unless you have to pack or sled a long ways reg. you and the misses will be more comftorable, plus you'll be surprized at the things you might be adding (chairs, heater, camera, flasher, cooler, etc.)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Flip over or pop up?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Clam type
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM

I would look into Eskimo quick flip 2 or 3. I have the 3 and love it. 3 seasons now with no issues. It's built on a sled so u can put all your gear inside and tow it with a quad or snowmachine if needed. CT has the quick flip 2 onsale right now for 260$ I think.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
clam type
lol
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM

I have a Clam Yukon 2man, love it, great seats. Slightly smaller than eskimo QFlip 3.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Get a 1 man so you are nice and comfortable and make your wife get her own.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM

The clam switchback is nice turns from a 4 man to a 6 man in few seconds just few football snaps and Velcro and easy for two people to set up.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM

Just got the Fish Inn 2-3 man from Costco. It's as big as most of the other 4men out there, tall enough to stand straight up in, seems as well built as any other, and only $189 including tax and delivery. I would definitely recomend.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM

I've got the Clam Nanook 2 man and I really like it. I have a heater, camera, and all my gear in it with 2 holes and plenty of room for myself. With 2 people it still has lots of room under the seats.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
Get a 1 man so you are nice and comfortable and make your wife get her own.
Yup .... then you can wait until she goes in, jam the zipper and douse the tent in kerosene and have a camp fire too.

lol ........ just kidding ............. easy now..........
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Yup .... then you can wait until she goes in, jam the zipper and douse the tent in kerosene and have a camp fire too.

lol ........ just kidding ............. easy now..........
Oh wow lmfao
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 PM

I got the clam nanook this fall to replace a homemade two man I had for 5 seasons. It's a two seater and have had it out 3 times this season. Paid $330 for it at bass pro and I think it's great. Plenty of room for me and a buddy plus gear. Retains heat very well, and from the time I pick a spot to the time I'm sitting inside about to drill holes is less than 3 mins. The only complaint I have is the extensions on the poles have a plastic pin to lock them in place and they can be a bit finicky. Usually have to take my knife to jimmy one to pop out and lock the pole in place. I actually read reviews before I purchased it that said the same thing. My plan is to just drill them out and use a metal cotter pin. But maybe over the summer. In my outings it's only been an issue once, but can see it happening more often. I didn't want a pop up shelter due to it being just something else to pile into a sled, with chairs as well (more weight to drag). And out of most of the clam type shelters I looked into this was the better price for almost all positive reviews. I'd buy this one again for sure. Light durable, and like I said, it retains heat well ( and I didn't buy the thermal one). The guys are right, the more room the better, but my wife approved the price on this one, and I usually only go with one other and it actually does fit two well. Just go to bass pro or wholesale or whereever they have them set up on display, sit in them, keep in mind how big your heater is and where you would put your other gear and try it out in the store. stretch out, stand up what ever. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 AM

I've got a clam base camp "4 man" but found that 3 is annoying.... 4 is simply not going to happen. 2 guys is what its best for. The quality is fantastic, I love that it's tall enough for an actual grown up to stand up in, but if I had it all to do over again, I'd be buying the double tent style. Some of us like our wives enough that we want extra room.... in case the fish aren't biting....
Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 AM

I've got the Eskimo quick fish 3.. has lots of room for 2 more than comfortable with heater, bucket of gear, tacklebox, munchies bags, 3 people can get a tad tight unless you stagger the holes properly and make your friends NOT bring their whole tackleboxx's into the tent lol, then its decent but still not ideal for 3... Set ups a breeze... pull the 5 hubs and its set up in no time flat.. my best ice-fishing investment forsure.. gas auger is just the cherry on top ... hand auger a hole, and you wont really be cold doing it... gas auger a hole and sit in the cold / wind for 8 hrs and your a snowmannnnnn
Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Never and I mean neve buy a 2 man pop up thinking you can really fish 2 people out of it.

Buy the 4 man Wholesale has the Woods 4 man which is easy to go up and take down. It is 7ft X 7ft. square. Make sure if you buy a pop up that it is square, otherwise it can be a real fun time trying to take it down and put away.

I had the Clam Expedition and it was 6 X5 and was a real bugger to get back down and put away.