Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Default 10 wt. salt water reel advice

looking to purchase a 10 wt reel for use in salt water. Any comments/suggestions/reviews would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Check out the islander reels
Old 12-29-2013, 06:35 PM

The BVK super large arbor reels are nice reels with great local representaion. I use those and Islander for salt water myself. Big spread in cost.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Lamson makes outstanding reels, especially for heavy duty use, you can usually find good deals for them on ebay.

http://waterworks-lamson.com/

Also check out cheeky if you like to stand out.

http://www.cheekyflyfishing.com/

Abel, Islander, Sage, Nautilus, Loop, all awesome.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

Pfleuger Medallist 1495.5RC
NO,I'm not kidding.Sure Islanders and Abels are wonderful pieces of gear,but.....making some assumptions here...you live in Edmonton,probly going to Mexico for a week or so,probly gonna fish for a few days,come home and either sell that new 10wt,maybe use it for pike,or store it until you smell the salt again in another year or two?
.....you really don't need a $7,8,900 dollar reel.

Or better yet,go buy that Abel Super 8 or Islander 4.0 LX....and sell it to me for 1/2 price when you get back,lol.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM

I have had my eye on a T-10 Galvan Torque and the price is right under $500
Old 12-29-2013, 10:56 PM

I have an Amundson Wind Warrior....it is salt water compatible and worked great for coho this August.

LC
Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM

I have a T-10. AMAZING reel! Made in the USA and Lifetime Warrantee! I'm buying a Galvan Rush Light R -10 for my wife's BVK tomorrow! Lower price point then the T-10 and it has the same drag. It's just a tad heavier (which works well with the BVK- being that it is tip heavy).

Talk with Chris and the folks at BRTFs they can expidite a Galvan to you no problem!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I have had my eye on a T-10 Galvan Torque and the price is right under $500
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM

I have used the Temple Fork Large arbor reels, both the 375 and 425 for about 5 years and have had no trouble. Mostly for Dorado in Mexico but also appropriate for stripers on the east coast, etc. I like the slightly larger capacity of the 425 because I hope to hook up with a sailfish or striped marlin but in the meantime, can amuse myself with Dorado. My biggest on a fly is 27 lb and it almost spooled me when I had my Tibor Everglade so I went to the larger TFO's and have no regrets. Great value for the $$ and local service.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 AM

I have to agree with a couple of this thread,

I am a big fan of the Galvan reels. You could look at either the Rush Series or the Torque series for a 10wt. Both offer a smooth and powerful drag system.

I also like the Abel reels (but you can buy a Galvan Torque and Spool for what a Abel reel can cost)
Old 01-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Appreciate the feedback and new ???

Thank you everyone who offer their comments. The reel is for my son who is going back to Cairns, Australia where he has another 3 1/2 years of school so I expect the reel will get more than a few days a year of holiday use. Need something that will stand-up. We did get him an Amundsen G-2 (11/12 wt) for christmas because that was all that was in stock the week before Christmas. Also gave him cash to upgrade if necessary. He has talked to a couple different salespeople at different Wholesale Sports locations and they have been consistent in telling him it will do the job nicely. Does anyone have any experience with Amundsen G-2's.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 AM

I have a 375 that I use for my 8wt (too small for a 10 wt) and it works fantastic for coho off the beach. I also have my sage 6080 that has been fantastic in the saltwater and is very low maintenance. Used to sell them in retail and never had a complaint about either. Only complaint on the 375 is that it only comes in the black and gold in Canada. I would also look into the nautilus reels. They're pretty pricey but fantastic reels

If your son is looking to upgrade the rod I highly recommend the TFO BVK series. Or the g-loomis pro4x series. I love my 8wt but they do also make a 9' 10 wt.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 AM

I agree Islanders are great reels. I'd also check out Loop and Nautilus, they make some crazy great reels that would be perfect for your saltwater trips
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 AM

Default Loop in Alberta

Speaking of Loop...

Bow River Troutfitters just became Alberta's only Loop dealer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
I agree Islanders are great reels. I'd also check out Loop and Nautilus, they make some crazy great reels that would be perfect for your saltwater trips
Old 01-02-2014, 06:30 PM

I think one aspect we don't give enough consideration to is the dealer of the gear. Dealers can be the difference between a great purchase and a bad one. The gear I buy is what the dealer carries and supports with fair pricing. These forums are great but nothing beats the support of a well run fly shop that knows its clienteles strengths and weaknesses.
What ever you decide to buy consider who and where you buy it from.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I think one aspect we don't give enough consideration to is the dealer of the gear. Dealers can be the difference between a great purchase and a bad one. The gear I buy is what the dealer carries and supports with fair pricing. These forums are great but nothing beats the support of a well run fly shop that knows its clienteles strengths and weaknesses.
What ever you decide to buy consider who and where you buy it from.
Agree!!! I've had good local advise from WSS and really bad advise from WSS on (of all things) a 10wt saltwater reel!. Talk with a fly shop that travels frequently and put this stuff to the test.

Go for a reel that is either fully sealed(Nautilus) or fully open (Abel) I wouldn't go with anything that's not one of the above designs as lack of proper maintenance after saltwater outings on something in between will be a recipe for failure. The two mentioned above, just pull the spools off, give everything a rinse in fresh water and you're good to go. (The reel doesn't have to be one of these two brands, it's just the two I use for saltwater)

I own a smaller weight BVK reel and I'm not impressed with it. The finish is VERY soft and the reel to me feels a little flimsy. I have fished it one summer and looks like it has been 5.

Just my 2 Cents.