Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Default 2 stroke oil???

I pulled the pin on a new auger ( boy this has been an expensive year ) after spending a day drilling 8" holes by hand through 24" of ice …….. So I pull auger out of the box and I really though that when you pay that much you'd at least get a bottle of 2 stroke oil with it…. So heres my question…. what do you run for oil in your auger… I usually run Opti-2 in my dirt bikes and they recommend running my bike at about 60:1 and with the opti 2 I can run it at almost 100:1 and have done it for years and never a problem with the bikes… can I run that same oil in my auger ( it recommends 50:1 and I think I could get away with at least 70:1 with the Opti-2 ) What are your thoughts??
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Run the Jiffy or Eskimo (Viper) brand - special 2 stroke oil. Mix it according to the instructions - one bottle per 4 liters.

They contain additives at concentrations significantly different (or not in) most other 2 stroke oils.

Stabilizers and Hydroquinone are two examples....

I would also strongly recommend running an ethanol free premium gasoline. (Shell V power premium).

The bottle of oil costs $4 bucks and add another $5 (4 liters) of gas and this should last most of the season ............. $9 is good insurance to run the best products that are recommended by the manufacturer.

I have drilled 80-100 holes and only topped up my auger once ..... still have 3.5 liters ready to go in the Jerry can ....... I'm guessing it will last the season.

$9 = piece of mind.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:46 PM

Get Opti 2, mix at 100:1 and you will never have a problem. It is useable in all 2 cycle engines at that mix. No more multiple cans of mix kicking around the shed and wondering which unit it is for!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
Get Opti 2, mix at 100:1 and you will never have a problem. It is useable in all 2 cycle engines at that mix. No more multiple cans of mix kicking around the shed and wondering which unit it is for!!!
A sharpy marker takes the guesswork out of that ........ but you are correct .... I have 4 different jerry cans in my garage.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
I pulled the pin on a new auger ( boy this has been an expensive year ) after spending a day drilling 8" holes by hand through 24" of ice …….. So I pull auger out of the box and I really though that when you pay that much you'd at least get a bottle of 2 stroke oil with it…. So heres my question…. what do you run for oil in your auger… I usually run Opti-2 in my dirt bikes and they recommend running my bike at about 60:1 and with the opti 2 I can run it at almost 100:1 and have done it for years and never a problem with the bikes… can I run that same oil in my auger ( it recommends 50:1 and I think I could get away with at least 70:1 with the Opti-2 ) What are your thoughts??
It would be really interesting to hear what the manufacturer had to say about running the opti oil at 100/1.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Run the Jiffy or Eskimo (Viper) brand - special 2 stroke oil. Mix it according to the instructions - one bottle per 4 liters.

They contain additives at concentrations significantly different (or not in) most other 2 stroke oils.

Stabilizers and Hydroquinone are two examples....

I would also strongly recommend running an ethanol free premium gasoline. (Shell V power premium).

The bottle of oil costs $4 bucks and add another $5 (4 liters) of gas and this should last most of the season ............. $9 is good insurance to run the best products that are recommended by the manufacturer.

I have drilled 80-100 holes and only topped up my auger once ..... still have 3.5 liters ready to go in the Jerry can ....... I'm guessing it will last the season.

$9 = piece of mind.
Ya really think Jiffy and Eskimo make there own oil? Think again. Its Opti 2 in a different container. And probably twice the price. I always use Opti 2 in all 2 strokes. Period.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM

I use any 2 stroke oil that meets specs mix with regular fuel and giver. My old jiffy at 24-1 and its never let me down must be 20yrs old now. For convience the little bottles are easy to use.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Ya really think Jiffy and Eskimo make there own oil? Think again. Its Opti 2 in a different container. And probably twice the price. I always use Opti 2 in all 2 strokes. Period.
I am pretty sure they (Eskimo or Jiffy) don't "make" their own oil - I certainly didn't say that.

I'm ALSO pretty sure Interlube from Blaine, WA, where Opti products are blended, doesn't "make" their own oil either.

I am unaware of any refinery owned by Interlube.

I'd bet all three blend additives into oil made elsewhere.

As far as price goes - they look to run around the same price ....... but either way - you are talking about $4 per season on the auger aren't you?

If a difference of $1 or $2 makes or breaks your decision - stay home and save yourself $40 in gas getting to the lake.

Bottom line is use what you want to use .......... but I'd rather run the recommended oil - I'm pretty certain Jiffy and Eskimo would not spec an oil which would lead to warranty claims on their dime nor would they recommend a product to diminish the longevity of their product leading to a damage of reputation and repeat business resulting in subsequent loss of market share.

I'd also suggest you consider the average run time, block temperature, fluid sealing, compression and operating conditions when attempting to make an intelligent comparison between two dissimilar oil products, to be used in two dissimilar applications. Maybe this doesn't matter ...... 2 strokes, generally, are pretty robust.

That just seems like bad science to me ........ That's all I'm saying.

For the price of the Opti - there is a portion of that money that will cover contingency warranty claims ..... I will also double your warranty on major engine components If I could squirrel away an extra $2 a bottle on selling a few million units of oil. The contingency insurance cost run allot less than that I'm sure.

Clever marketing.

But thanks for asking me to "think again" ............ I did, and it makes me think I will stick to my opinion.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM

I just run the small bottles of stihl or husquavarna one bottle to 4 liters.
I use the same gas / oil mix in all my saws and augers!.... Except the ion I run a different mix in that

Also make sure to run the highest octane ethanol free gas you can find!!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM

fyi
2 stroke engines get the lubrication for all the internal parts from the oil you add to the fuel. Using less oil than recommended leaves those crucial internals starved and prone to premature wear.

its like going in dry...
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Hehehe, my ion doesn't burn oil and no mixing smelly gas and oil.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

Cool

Its a brand new auger why risk it over an oz of oil. Follow the manufacturers recomended mix . K.I.S.S.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Its a brand new auger why risk it over an oz of oil. Follow the manufacturers recomended mix . K.I.S.S.
X2
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I feel the same way with my propane
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the opinions… it is certainly a little different across the board…good points from all… and all taken into consideration…..
Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
ION owners are disqualified from this discussion !!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Deal View Post
fyi
2 stroke engines get the lubrication for all the internal parts from the oil you add to the fuel. Using less oil than recommended leaves those crucial internals starved and prone to premature wear.

its like going in dry...
The difference being that poorer oil burns up and a higher quality oil such as opti resists burning up and clings to engine parts much better. You can certainly use a stronger mix but you will foul plugs more often.

I use opti in everything just as others have said. I prefer one jerry can of mixed oil because I don't use much of it and this way I always have one small can of fresh mixed gas vs 6 cans of various mixes and ages kicking around.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
ION owners are disqualified from this discussion !!!!!
But, but awe.

Still have a 10 inch gas auger too.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
The difference being that poorer oil burns up and a higher quality oil such as opti resists burning up and clings to engine parts much better. You can certainly use a stronger mix but you will foul plugs more often.

I use opti in everything just as others have said. I prefer one jerry can of mixed oil because I don't use much of it and this way I always have one small can of fresh mixed gas vs 6 cans of various mixes and ages kicking around.
the fuel/oil mixture passes through the crankcase, then goes into the combustion chamber to be burned. Lubrication of the cylinder walls is done from the bottom of the crank case, not when the fuel is being burned at the top. Therefore any reduction in the fuel/oil ratio has a direct impact on the lubrication of the internals.
On a 4 stroke, straight fuel goes into the combustion camber - no lubricants

If Opti resists burning up, it would foul plugs more often. I think Opti does the exact opposite, burns easy and clean to reduce carbon and fouled plugs. Opti will not lubricate components as good as a regular oil if you reduce your ratio. its like soap and water, it takes a a certain amount of dish soap to be poured into a sink full of water before the water feels slick in your hands and will wash your dishes properly.

I would be pretty sorry to wake up at 430, drive 2 hours to my spot, pull the cord on my auger or turn the key on my boat and find my engine seized because i wanted to save a couple bucks.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Banned

Your ion doesn't cut all day in -40 either. Nor do you get the rich aroma of two stroke....
Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 PM

I have used mercury 2 stroke oil both in my chainsaws and my auger for years. Only because I had a lot in stock. Always mix 50/1. As far as I'm concerned any decent oils is fine. Much more important to get the mix right.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 AM

I use Amsoil saber professional. Heard from a friend who just bought a Husqvarna (because he loved mine do much) that you can get lubricated gas from the dealer that stays good for a couple years and is specially formulated for small engines.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
OPTI 2 Oil, My vote , My opionion. probaly the Best 2 stroke oil you can have in your garage. 1 mix for all your little two stroke engines. I use it in chain saws, augers , motox bikes etx. It is a premium oil that has been around a long time. It is very clean burning and good for engines that sit around to, not a thick old oil.
Go buy a box of the little pouches, mix and through out the garbage, no more oily containers on shelves. then after you mix a ratio mix with other types, the little oily container sometimes never has enough to mix a second time, then you need two oily containers because you have to buy another.That sucks. Clean little pouches you can take with you and you dont have to carry messy oil container fishin and hunting.

One pouch, one mix , package in garbage. Simple. Young teens can mix it for there small quads and bikes, dont need to be worried they are mixing ratios.

32 ....40 .....100 to 1, What.... ?? or one mixture covers everything, yes!!!

Last edited by kritz; 01-24-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM

you can get the little bottles that mix off for a gallon in alot of the other brands
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 AM

I buy the Sthil oil in the little 1 gallon mix bottles. I use it on my auger as well as my 2 chainsaws.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
I buy the Sthil oil in the little 1 gallon mix bottles. I use it on my auger as well as my 2 chainsaws.
x2
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM

The point. 1 oil, 1 mixture for every two stroke engine you will own.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Any good 2 stroke oil... Add seafoam get mine at CT.... My jiffy's being running since '96
Thanks Leroy
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
Your ion doesn't cut all day in -40 either. Nor do you get the rich aroma of two stroke....
Not sure about all day, but I can get up to 80 holes in 2 feet of ice. more than enough for me for one day.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Not sure about all day, but I can get up to 80 holes in 2 feet of ice. more than enough for me for one day.
Please refer to post #16