Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 AM

Default Where to take an autistic 5 year old that isn't busy

Looking for somewhere to take my autistic 5 year old fishing along the north saskatchewan. He really likes throwing rocks in the river so I'd rather it's a little bit quieter as I don't wanna ruin others morning of fishing with him throwing rocks or on the off chance he has a meltdown. I'd like to get him a fish but that isn't overly important at this point of the game. I'd rather just get him out on the water. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 07:43 AM
AO Sponsor

I can't really contribute a spot because I don't live there but I can contribute a "good for you!"...

Getting him out in nature can be very soothing to some kids on the spectrum. As for not disturbing others, I can understand that but I think too that if I was there just casually fishing and was aware of your sons situation, I would be completely non-plussed at all if he was tossing rocks or had a bit of a meltdown. In fact I would be 100% layed back about the entire thing and might even try and interact if you (or any parent) was interested in doing so.

I guess what I am saying is that if you go somewhere and someone else is around, don't be afraid to approach them and mention what you are doing. I think many or most of us would be quite relaxed about it and think what you are doing is awesome!
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 AM

I would suggest the Devon bridge area.

If you go north of the river about 1km on Hwy 60, turn west on township rd 511, and take your first left back south. You can wind down to either east of the bridge which is where a number of people fish (worms or minnows on a pickerel rig), or you can drive down to just west of the bridge to the waters edge. Google it and you'll be able to see.

West of the bridge would be good for lower numbers of people and getting to the water to let him play around. East of the bridge is better for fishing but more people will likely be there.

Either way, pretty easy drive and once you're down there, you can see which is better suited for you and your boy.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiseeker View Post
I would suggest the Devon bridge area.

If you go north of the river about 1km on Hwy 60, turn west on township rd 511, and take your first left back south. You can wind down to either east of the bridge which is where a number of people fish (worms or minnows on a pickerel rig), or you can drive down to just west of the bridge to the waters edge. Google it and you'll be able to see.

West of the bridge would be good for lower numbers of people and getting to the water to let him play around. East of the bridge is better for fishing but more people will likely be there.

Either way, pretty easy drive and once you're down there, you can see which is better suited for you and your boy.
Great suggestion yeti!

As far as going west of the bridge I would not venture too far down the path.

Just before the bend in the river is the location of Edmonton's infamous Cottontail Corner.

Cottontails = Nudists

http://cottontailcorner.ca/about-us/

Great job brohymn2. Let us know how it goes and hopefully your son has a great time wherever you go!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
Great suggestion yeti!

As far as going west of the bridge I would not venture too far down the path.

Just before the bend in the river is the location of Edmonton's infamous Cottontail Corner.

Cottontails = Nudists

http://cottontailcorner.ca/about-us/

Great job brohymn2. Let us know how it goes and hopefully your son has a great time wherever you go!
I think this post is going to cause a boat jam on the river the next hot sunny weekend.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-13-2016, 08:25 PM

If you drive down into the Kinsmen Field House park in the river valley you can stay on that road that you enter the field house area and go west. You drive under the high level bridge on a gravel road and on the left their is a parking lot. Just 10-20 yards west of the parking lot along the road you will see a wide path going down towards the river. Walk down the slope east until you come to the steps cut into the bank to get down to the river. Lots of rocks to throw, no other fishermen and it is deep enough to hold fish close to shore there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Banned

That's a great way to spend a day. Wouldn't worry to much about what other people think because either they understand or they don't. If they're that selfish that they don't then to bad.

Cotton wood corner? I've been to a nude beach or two and what I seen there was " good from a far but far from good".

Forgot to add make sure to take pictures. I regret not getting a picture of my boy and his first fis .