Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default Bow fishing

I bought a bow fishing kit and would like to try to arrow some whites...anyone ever done this before? im thinking of sawing a 4x4 hole in my tent and just flashing a big spoon to attract them
Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM

You can't use a bow or spear in Alberta.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oagie View Post
You can't use a bow or spear in Alberta.

"Bowfishing
A special licence for bowfishing is not required. Bowfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Crossbows cannot be used.
Bows cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Bowfishing is not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes. "

"Spearfishing
A special licence for spearfishing is not required. Spearfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Only spears propelled by spring, elastic, compressed gas or muscular power are permitted.
Only persons who are swimming may spearfish.
Spears cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Spearfishing is not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes."

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
I bought a bow fishing kit and would like to try to arrow some whites...anyone ever done this before? im thinking of sawing a 4x4 hole in my tent and just flashing a big spoon to attract them
Well, seeing how you CAN use a bow. You should check out the spear fishers out east in Minnesota and such who use fish decoys to bring in the fish. They are the masters.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 AM

ive shot lake whites before, but only in drained canals with my recurve...and cutting a block of ice out is a lot harder than it sounds.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Banned

I was out today, just fishing though. But i got thinking about the hole, so i took my 10" auger and drilled a 30" long 10" wide hole. I figure i could drill a ::: pattren and cut the rest, we got a wall tent we set up with a black tarp over it. it will be fun to just fish in the big hole to...And yes we have a plan to flag it when we are done with it so no one has a boo boo