Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

Default Oilers 2017/18 season

What , the Oilers can lose .... and to the Canucks , what the .... oh my my ...what you say there Bessie and moose lips .. what happened .. I hope your hangovers don't ruin the long weekend for you both ...LOL
Old 10-07-2017, 11:07 PM

Oilers out played the Canucks badly but anyone can lose to a hot goalie. But your Flames lost the other night with the hot goalie in their own net, how pathetic is that?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Banned

are you upset they lost or that Mcdavid never even got an assist , or both ... Oilers were outplayed all game ..... the mighty Oilers losing to the Canucks is bothersome for you and should be
Old 10-07-2017, 11:38 PM

Go hawks!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:42 PM

Huh. Who would have ever thought that the Canucks could play better then the Flames.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 10-07-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:08 AM

Hahaha your back!!!! How was the crow?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Huh. Who would have ever thought that the Canucks could play better then the Flames.
Boom!

Mic drop.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Hey, Canucks are rebuilding....story of all Canadian teams eh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hey, Canucks are rebuilding....story of all Canadian teams eh
If they're rebuilding, they should hire Kevin Lowe.
Then they could do it for 10 years.

The Oilers are my team but they just played like they didn't care until the last minute and then it was too late.
Even Talbot looked bad. He let in a couple that should have never got past him.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:41 AM

The Oilers had 20 crappy minutes last night. 19 minutes of the 1st period and the 1st minute of the 2nd. Pulling Talbot woke the troops up and from that point on they dominated in puck possession, shots on goal, and chances. Despite their efforts they could only get 1 by a goalie who was standing on his head.

What was the name of the goalie that played for the Oilers a few years ago and broke a record for saves in a single game? He was from Spruce Grove/Stony Plain I believe. That was 1 of the worst games ever played by the Oilers and we still won. Some nights you can't beat a hot goalie.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
If they're rebuilding, they should hire Kevin Lowe.
Then they could do it for 10 years.

The Oilers are my team but they just played like they didn't care until the last minute and then it was too late.
Even Talbot looked bad. He let in a couple that should have never got past him.
two that slipped by...momentum swings and Canucks had confidence...mcdavid had a shadow too..no one took care of the shadow...good for my canucks

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The Oilers had 20 crappy minutes last night. 19 minutes of the 1st period and the 1st minute of the 2nd. Pulling Talbot woke the troops up and from that point on they dominated in puck possession, shots on goal, and chances. Despite their efforts they could only get 1 by a goalie who was standing on his head.

What was the name of the goalie that played for the Oilers a few years ago and broke a record for saves in a single game? He was from Spruce Grove/Stony Plain I believe. That was 1 of the worst games ever played by the Oilers and we still won. Some nights you can't beat a hot goalie.
I disagree. 2 bad periods and 1 mediocre 1 isn't going to cut in this league anymore. Yeah goalie was hot but LB kept us in the game to give the boys a chance.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I disagree. 2 bad periods and 1 mediocre 1 isn't going to cut in this league anymore. Yeah goalie was hot but LB kept us in the game to give the boys a chance.
The final score was 3-2. The puck spent the final 5 minutes in the Vancouver crease. It wasn't the Oilers best game by any means and they will need to play a full 60 minutes to win hockey games, but we didn't get beat 10-1, like last years Champs.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Yyyup!

The boys need to wake up. No more dipsy doodle defense exits with the puck!!

Bennington!
Russel!

Yah... you two silly goombahs!

Baby Nuge played a great game! Lucic needs to realize he's got time with the puck.
Kass did great!

McJesus better get used to having a Tikkanen follow him around a hack the crap out of him all game...... boy he was mad.

Coach is going to chew them one today.

But Hey hey!
We got a real backup goalie..... he played a very very fine game.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 PM

I thought McDavid on a crappy team would be enough to put them over the edge, maybe I was wrong. Even went so far as to pick Talbot in my pool.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 PM

Nice to see the Oilers dominating every aspect of the game again, except the scoreboard. But, it was 'just the Jets'.....

Probably just a statistical anomaly, to lose to a couple of 'inferior' teams in a row like that.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-09-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Nice to see the Oilers dominating every aspect of the game again, except the scoreboard. But, it was 'just the Jets'.....

Probably just a statistical anomaly, to lose to a couple of 'inferior' teams in a row like that.
Agreed. To play 3 inferior teams already and only leave with 2 points is a bad start.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 AM

seems kind of quiet on here this morning.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 AM

Cricket...cricket...cricket.

I am one that hopes for a strong Oiler and Flames team.

Right now Oilers seem to have neglected fixing the "lack of effort" disease that has always plagued the oilers.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Agreed. To play 3 inferior teams already and only leave with 2 points is a bad start.
Right? A bad start. Yeah. And even more embarrassing than expected. They just need McDavid to wake up and save them, because they aren't making the playoffs any other way except on his back. Even though the whole team dominates every aspect of the game. Unless they don't.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 AM

whoa.... wha happend...?

I had this terrible dream that th mighty Oil started reading their own press and figured once again that they could win gaes because they were 'just that good'.....

Then they played WinterPeg..... and got schooled on a pure effort counter attack...

....waitaminute........ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Man... monday just slapped me hard.

we sucked last night.

no effort... no drive. No defence.

Cmon boys!! pick it up!!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Bwaaahaaaaahaaaaaa!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Now that's a good, legit response Bessie. Good on you for calling it straight, and not even mentioning any other Alberta team.

It's early still, the Oilers can turn it around. And they better, because a kid like McDavid deserves team mates that play their guts out like he does.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Now that's a good, legit response Bessie. Good on you for calling it straight, and not even mentioning any other Alberta team.

It's early still, the Oilers can turn it around. And they better, because a kid like McDavid deserves team mates that play their guts out like he does.
But he has Leon Draisaitl!!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
But he has Leon Draisaitl!!!!
Apparently the rest of the league didn't get the memo about them.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:35 PM

Laugh whilst ya can boys.

We all know how this ends....

And it ain't with Oil fans doin the crying.

We still got a young D
Young forwards.

Your D got no excuse.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

We still got a young D
Young forwards.

Your D got no excuse.
Excuse for what, shutting down the Ducks? Getting 6 points combined in the Jets win? As for young forwards, I think we have it pretty good with Tkachuk, Johnny, Bennett, Monahan, Lazar....and enough fairly young seasoned guys like Frolik and Versteeg to give some maturity.

It's pretty early in the season to be prognosticating about how she will all turn out. If you go by the first 3 games, Oilers are on pace for an 54 point season, and Flames are on pace for a 108 points season. I'm sure not placing bets on that! Lets just see how it plays out. Really, I don't have much energy for being a hater, I just enjoy the game.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

We still got a young D
Young forwards.

Your D got no excuse.
How does it end? Judging by the Oilers success, or lack of, with all of those #1 picks, I think it's all speculation at this point.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
How does it end? Judging by the Oilers success, or lack of, with all of those #1 picks, I think it's all speculation at this point.
Give them a break. Theyre in the middle of there 25 year rebuild.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 PM

Defense badly needs Sekera back. Lines of Klef/Larsson, Sekera/Russell, Nurse/Benning are a much better fit than they are now. Benning is drowning on the second pairing and Russell isn't doing a whole lot better without having a solid workhorse like Sekera being the other half.

Forwards I'm not overly worried about yet. Not here to make excuses on their behalf, but there's been a lot of line shuffling and everyone needs a bit of time to gel and figure out who works best with who.

PP first line is identical to last year (which was pretty lethal), but has been abysmal so far. Multiple chances and still yet to convert one. Guys aren't moving and reacting nearly fast enough, and can't make any good cross ice passes. Too much floating the puck around the perimeter and throwing the puck into clogged up shooting lanes.

Goaltending is more voodoo than anything else. Talbot played great in the first game, horrible in the second, and only marginally better (but still sub-par) in the game last night. That said, Oilers sure hung him out to dry a few times last night as well. Brutal. Brossoit certainly looked good in his relief of Talbot on Saturday, however. I'd give him the next start.

I wonder what Chiarelli is going to do about the defense situation. It was a bold gamble to wait till the regular season began to see what the dcorp was made of instead of trading during the off season, and it's a gamble that hasn't really paid off at all. Now all 30 other teams see that we desperately need a top 4 dman, ideally RHD, and just like that we're trading from a position of pure weakness. Had he traded in the off season before our dcorp struggles become illuminated, may have been able to pick a guy up for cheap. Still wish it could have been something like Eberle + (maybe Bear and a pick?) for Strome and Hamonic.

Vegas has a plethora of defense. I'd guess that if Chiarelli makes a move on a dman, it'll be from them. Speaking of which, I personally think Shea Theodore is going to be a stud in a few years. Might be worth a shot to take a look at him.