Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 PM

Default Looking for roof ice dam solutions.

I have a low slope roof with skylight. Snow melted off skylight and froze down slope. Enough ice built up to cause some moisture to get in.

What solutions are out there?

I am thinking heated element on roof and affected gutter.

Thoughts?

Any recommendations based upon personal experience?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

Thinking the same here. I heard about that element you can put along the roof at the edge. If anybody knows about that it would sure be nice for next winter. Lots of snow here in Kimberley. Shingle roof so I don`t like walking around on it in winter.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Thinking the same here. I heard about that element you can put along the roof at the edge. If anybody knows about that it would sure be nice for next winter. Lots of snow here in Kimberley. Shingle roof so I don`t like walking around on it in winter.
Ditto. Had to do it but worry about them cracking in the cold.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM

I am thinking if one had a portable steamer you could work it off from time to time versus a heater element.

Still google is not my friend on this.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Many of us went through this, some with plain bubble type skylights and some of us had double pane high quality, etc.
For many reasons the heat tape idea never worked. Main problem with those windows is the trapped heat from snow cover. Seemed best solution was to clear off the snow using a roof rake....everytime it snowed.
It's not worth the risk of rotting structural wood.
Removed the windows several years ago and glad I did.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:13 PM

There is this.
https://www.rona.ca/en/roof-deicing-...SABEgK9mvD_BwE
Old 02-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Would these damage asphalt shingles?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roofmelt...M-65/202536089

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.r...000820615.html
Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 PM

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.6...000171306.html
Old 02-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I don't think the salt would harm your shingles however it may rust our your eaves trough and likely kill the lawn where ever it melts to
Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 PM

I believe you need to get the snow off and expose the ice. I know some guys who then used heat guns to melt the ice. I have the same issue in a low pitch valley. I have a short ladder and I use a broom to remove snow several times a year.

Dodger.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:29 PM

Go with the Easy Heat Electric Roof De-Icing Cable, it works. Lay it out so you have coverage on your shingles, then run it in the eavestrough and down the downspout. It is a constant wattage cable, so make sure the cable does not overlap/touch. It is really handy if you already have a switched receptacle in your eaves.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM

Default Looking for roof ice dam solutions.

If you want to permanently install you will want to buy a new kit from HD or any other building store. Should be available in lengths from 30’ 60’ 100’. If I recall correctly. They work fairly well, however water in winter is a pain as well. Cable will need to run all the way down trough and out downspout. Sometimes in my experience, 1 cable can still have icing problems on extreme cold. But will still help.

I recommend tighter pattern for cabling then they recommend. They really only melt approx 3/4 wide path.

The kits come with some metal clips that are designed to mount under the loose part of exciting shingles. But since it’s frozen that’s nearly impossible. But can thaw with the cabling or other methods and then try your luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 05:56 PM

Default Skylight

Ice melt won't hurt the shingles. It's not going to rust the eavetrough out any time soon .plus the spring rain will wash away any salt. Another thing to consider is raising the skylight up a few inches, this will decrease chances of water getting in.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I believe you need to get the snow off and expose the ice. I know some guys who then used heat guns to melt the ice. I have the same issue in a low pitch valley. I have a short ladder and I use a broom to remove snow several times a year.

Dodger.
Snow is off. Did that Sunday. Looks like a bit of sublimation has occurred. Hopefully enough goes before it gets warm again.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhmmmm View Post
If you want to permanently install you will want to buy a new kit from HD or any other building store. Should be available in lengths from 30’ 60’ 100’. If I recall correctly. They work fairly well, however water in winter is a pain as well. Cable will need to run all the way down trough and out downspout. Sometimes in my experience, 1 cable can still have icing problems on extreme cold. But will still help.

I recommend tighter pattern for cabling then they recommend. They really only melt approx 3/4 wide path.

The kits come with some metal clips that are designed to mount under the loose part of exciting shingles. But since it’s frozen that’s nearly impossible. But can thaw with the cabling or other methods and then try your luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would only need about 10 feet by 4 feet to cover the roof surface area effectively. The eves likely 30 feet.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Ice melt won't hurt the shingles. It's not going to rust the eavetrough out any time soon .plus the spring rain will wash away any salt. Another thing to consider is raising the skylight up a few inches, this will decrease chances of water getting in.
Not going to touch the skylights. To difficult to move. Already 4 inches up.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Banned

Who has steel Eaves? Mine are Aluminum.