Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Default Intersting read about N.L Moose problem

I just got this email, looks like they are going to open up moose Cull in the national parks of N.L I never realized they had such a bad problem with moose.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...anada-406.html
Old 04-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Yup the moose population in NL is crazy! I remember when I lived over there driving into the parks they'd have signs on the side of the road showing how many car/moose accidents they'd had to date. Usually by mid summer you were already in the mid 100's. For as much crap as NL gets its definately a sportsmans paradise!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 PM

The comments section is a must read!!

The antis are posting in full force....without offering a viable solution or suggestion.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

i heard it was hard to get a tag to shoot a moose there
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Default Hunting in Federal Parks

It will be interesting to see if Canadian Parks Service gives all Canadian moose hunters an equal opportunity to obtain a hunting licence in these parks. The Federal Parks belong to the Federal government – so ALL Canadians are equally entitled to participate in these hunts. Federal Parks Service should not give any preference to Newfoundland residents for these hunting opportunities!
Does anyone on here know how the deer hunts in B.C. and Ontario were allocated?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i heard it was hard to get a tag to shoot a moose there
It depend's on which areas you want to apply for , the areas in the vicinity of Gros Morne you can usually get a license every year, the 2 areas i apply for this will be year number 5 and i should get a tag this year.
There are signs indicating the vehicle collisions while traveling through the parksbbut as a note the recent total yearly accidents involving moose for the province which was released by the RCMP was found to be incorrect due to incorrect searchs of database which revealed extremly high numbers.
I haven't seen a Moose in 4-5 months thats with highway travel and back country travel.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:20 AM

The provincial government has increased the number of moose licences this year by more than 5,000 and extended the hunting season by one week. The increase means the total moose quota for the island portion of the province now stands at just over 33,400. The majority of the extra licences are for either sex in target management areas that border the Trans Canada Highway and other major roads throughout the island.

The increase comes the same week the federal government said it would allow hunting to also take place in both Gros Morne and Terra Nova national parks.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...13770&latest=1