Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Question Table saw?

I’m looking for a new table and not sure which to get. Been eyeing up the Dewalt jobsite one with stand. I don’t need a commercial grade one, they are too expensive.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:16 PM

Got one ! Great saw!
Old 09-23-2020, 05:30 PM

I own a Laguna Fusion, and have used a SawStop Contractor model at work. I am not recommending either. I only mention it because I compared the Rigid I bought my son for Christmas to them, and I was really impressed with the value of the Rigid. It really stores away well too.

Home Depot has them on sale a lot too, I think I paid $450.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rid...and/1000155721
Old 09-23-2020, 05:44 PM

Buddy asked my advice, we settled on this one. It really is a rigid saw and not that expensive. Nothing worse than a lousy table saw. I've got a similar one.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rid...saw/1001490817

Grizz
Old 09-23-2020, 05:49 PM

Two votes for RIGID.

No worries Harv........ we'll help you spend your money!!!!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Used rigid before no complaints especially for the price. wouldn't hesitate if you find a sale
Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I’m looking for a new table and not sure which to get. Been eyeing up the Dewalt jobsite one with stand. I don’t need a commercial grade one, they are too expensive.

Any suggestions?
Others have mentioned, the RIGID brand, and I have a shop vac and few other RIGID tools and they are good priced, mid market products that are pretty darn good for most of us who are not everyday contractors. Having said that, can't comment on the saw specifically

BUT ........ I have a thought .......

I'd buy the model that has the permanent and heavier stand (unless you are moving it around lots to jobsites, etc...).

When you go in there and wiggle them around, although the job site folders are pretty good, they are not quite as heavy and stable as the fixed frame leg models ...... and if you are like most of us, and use it once a week or so for a project here or there, and don't need to move it too much or too far, get the heavier more stable, non job-site folding type.

That way you won't knock one of them wheels, or pencil thin brace legs while throwing plywood around.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Buddy asked my advice, we settled on this one. It really is a rigid saw and not that expensive. Nothing worse than a lousy table saw. I've got a similar one.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rid...saw/1001490817

Grizz
The folding table saws are fine if you’re cutting small and short pieces, trying to cut a full size sheet of plywood while doable is difficult even with stands. The above saw works better for larger pieces and is solid, I own one and use it for ripping large pieces or a light duty work bench.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:53 PM

FWIW

I just checked the CT flyer preview and the small DeWalt is on sale $100 off.

Smaller saw, but smaller price too.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:19 PM

Another vote for RIGID, I have the job site style and really like it. Ripping full sheets of 3/4 mdf by yourself is a bit tricky but other than that I really like it.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:32 PM

No mention of your budget, so maybe this one is out; General makes a crackerjack contractor type saw for about a grand. One of the best features is a left-tilting blade. Mine came with a Beismeyer fence, but the boys at Marson Tools took it in trade for an Excalibur with a hundred to boot.

Easy to true up and runs smooth still after 20 some years.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:30 AM

Best table saw is a reconditioned radial arm saw - 1959 amf DeWalt. Reconditioned and adjusted you'll have one of the best saws ever made. Very versatile very accurate when carefully adjusted. I inherited one that I started using when Lester Pearson was still PM.
Considering how often I've been using it, I'm starting to look around for a bigger one; 1-ph 220.

They pop up from time to time on Kijiji in various condition for peanuts, when people pass away or they clean out the garage before moving away. Get the longest arm and largest motor in the late '50s series. Not the more recent B&D ones.

Alternatively you could buy a new, updated version by 'The Original Saw company' in Iowa. Akhurst is apparently a supplier in Edmonton. 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22.5 inch saws, from 3 through 7.5 HP. 3-phase available. 24" and 32" crosscut arms available in the higher end models. Apparently when the earlier saw company was sold off, one company got rights to use the name, but the actual tooling was sold to Original Saw. If I won the lottery I'd probably go for a 16-inch super duty with 32-inch arm and a 3-phase 7.5 horse motor. (The 14-inch 5 hp 3-phase is on special for a cool 9 grand.)
Old 09-24-2020, 05:18 AM

I have the one that riden posted, its pretty decent, the on/off switch has given a bit of trouble though

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rid...and/1000155721
Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 AM

A fan of the ridgid one here as well.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:40 AM

I was ready to buy a Delta model after dragging my feet for a few years and when I was finally ready it appears it is either discontinued or not stocked in Canada.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/table-s...-36-725-510897

I wanted a big deck with a wide fence option, heavy but moveable via the castors. This checked alot of boxes.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:57 AM

The rack and pinion fence on the Dewalt is what trumps all others. Light and powerful. There really is no other saw that compares.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:15 AM
AO Sponsor

I won't go back to a contractor table saw anymore. If you have the room, a solid based cabinet saw is the way to go. Now rather than a contractor table saw for on site work I do (I am talking small stuff, not for a living), I use a track saw adaptor from Kreg and a handheld circular saw and it works a lick for accurate and straight long cuts on sheet goods all day long!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-24-2020, 09:39 AM

I bought the 10" Dewalt jobsite saw with the rolling stand. I liked it so much I sold my professional grade cabinet saw. For cutting sheet goods I use a Festool track saw.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:37 AM

I got the 10 inch saw! Ya rack and pinion fence works great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
The rack and pinion fence on the Dewalt is what trumps all others. Light and powerful. There really is no other saw that compares.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCS10 View Post
I bought the 10" Dewalt jobsite saw with the rolling stand. I liked it so much I sold my professional grade cabinet saw. For cutting sheet goods I use a Festool track saw.
I'm leaning in the same direction.
Newer, smaller saws have great tolerances these days, and perfectly adequate for precise cuts on smaller peices. For large sheets a track saw is safer and potentially more accurate.

High horse power cabinet saws have their place if you cut thick hardwoods on a regular basis.

Also, consider a long arbour if you plan to use a dado stack.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
No mention of your budget, so maybe this one is out; General makes a crackerjack contractor type saw for about a grand. One of the best features is a left-tilting blade. Mine came with a Beismeyer fence, but the boys at Marson Tools took it in trade for an Excalibur with a hundred to boot.

Easy to true up and runs smooth still after 20 some years.
General and General International went out of business a couple of years ago. You can get some parts through KMS or Canadian Woodworker.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I won't go back to a contractor table saw anymore. If you have the room, a solid based cabinet saw is the way to go. Now rather than a contractor table saw for on site work I do (I am talking small stuff, not for a living), I use a track saw adaptor from Kreg and a handheld circular saw and it works a lick for accurate and straight long cuts on sheet goods all day long!
Pretty sure you're talking about a jobsite saw Bob. Contractor saws are usually steel frame and legs and a full cast iron or cast iron with steel wings top. Contractor saws are a step up from jobsite saws like the Dewalt or Bosch and are a step down from Hybrid and full cabinet saws.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
General and General International went out of business a couple of years ago. You can get some parts through KMS or Canadian Woodworker.
Crap! I did not know that!

Hope mine holds together for a while yet.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
Crap! I did not know that!

Hope mine holds together for a while yet.
I have one of the Canwood contractor ones which is identical to the General International ones other than colour. It's been a great saw and still going strong.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I have one of the Canwood contractor ones which is identical to the General International ones other than colour. It's been a great saw and still going strong.
Solid, dependable tool. Built all the cabinetry in our new house in 2012.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Yeah I almost bought a table saw and bought a track saw instead.
I feel it’s way better if you not cutting panels for a living.
Dead straight cuts and no safety concerns.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:47 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Pretty sure you're talking about a jobsite saw Bob. Contractor saws are usually steel frame and legs and a full cast iron or cast iron with steel wings top. Contractor saws are a step up from jobsite saws like the Dewalt or Bosch and are a step down from Hybrid and full cabinet saws.
Yeah I see what you are saying. It is job site saws I will never go near again.

This is the same saw I have in my basement...

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Got one ! Great saw!
Same X2

Dodger.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 PM

Default Saw

I have something similar to the Ridgid, but it’s the Lowe’s brand.
Kobalt is the name I think.
I don’t use it a lot, but it’s all I need.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 PM

Default Rigid all the way

Bought a Rigid jobsite saw with the base, very handy, lightweight and accurate enough for anything I do. Ended up getting it used from a fella needing cash, think I paid $100.

A far cry from the old Delta that I was given by my dad, nicknamed "The Assasin" that thing was amazingly unsafe and inaccurate, got a couple bucks at the metal recycler.

Invest in decent tools, you won't regret it.