Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 AM

Default !!!Remington 700 Unsafe says CNBC report!!!

Ok guys this is really serious. I just watched a 1 hour CNBC report on the Remington 700 called "Remington Under Fire" the program claims that the 700 trigger (not the x-mark trigger) has the potential to go off with only the touch of the bolt or by simply taking the safety off.

Documents suggest they knew about it for 50 years and have chosen not to fix it due to cost. Even the old man who originally designed the thing says he tried to get them to fix it, even after he retired. Remington's own documents show that they know there are 10s of thousands of these 700s that have the potential for this problem

A kid was killed in Montana. His Mom was holding the rifle.

There is film showing a police demonstration of the problem. I watched it myself. the guy cycles the bolt, touches the safety or taps the bolt handle, and it goes off. This is real, not the suspicious hearsay of someone who claims "it just went off"

Google this and keep your kids safe.

Has anyone else heard a different side of this?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=71524
Old 10-21-2010, 02:44 AM

Default need to be smart when you have a firearm in your hands

thats alost a case of watch what you point at, I have seen some guns that are auto and you just have to chamber a round in it and it sharts to fire like that old bren guns in WW2 the would go off all the time
Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Banned

As I was scanning through the program guide on the sat. dish I did see that program listing but skipped through it as I didn't make the connection with "Remington Arms", now I wished that I'd seen it. Hopefully they have a re-run. I just purchased a 700 LSS Mountain Rifle through a private deal. For sure I'll be testing it and excercising extra precautions. I suppose that the safest course of action would be to replace the trigger.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 AM

Written summary and links to documents in the documentary.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 AM

Well, I guess that why they teach you to never point a firearm at something your not willing to shoot. Sounds like the lady that shot her kid broke the most important rule of firearm safety and I don't blame the "faulty" rifle. Sounds like a great way to bankrupt one the largest firearms companies in the world. I wonder how many millions of these rifles have been made?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Holy Cow!!!! Halfton says this happened to his wife last month, and hers in the X-mark Trigger, not the old trigger. (I heard it is simply a slight mod to the old trigger.)

omg.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Of course they are un-safe. frick everyone that buys one replaces the stock and trigger. lol..... ahhhhhhh !! no worries i have a few also. last year it was Tikka with one blown up barrel dude and this year its Remington. i toss it under G... Garbage. Remmies are here to stay.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE-1 View Post
Of course they are un-safe. frick everyone that buys one replaces the stock and trigger. lol..... ahhhhhhh !! no worries i have a few also. last year it was Tikka with one blown up barrel dude and this year its Remington. i toss it under G... Garbage. Remmies are here to stay.
Dude, this isn;t just one gun This is an estimated 50 000 rifles with this malfunction. If they were made in canada there would be a giant recall and Remingtom would be out fo business. Because of the US constitution, they cannot be recalled.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:36 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ger-cnbc_N.htm

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/CNBC/Sec...Rem_Doc_01.pdf

Last edited by JohnS; 10-24-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Unsafe

Although the reason for the people being shot is unsafe handling that doesn't let Remington off the hook.I have seen this happen when guiding a hunter a few years ago.Also have talked to a friend who quit using a 700 because of this problem.(No trigger mods)
Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Question It happened to us " I think "

Many years ago when my 700 BDL left hand bolt was new ( late 70's) I was hunting with my brother. We were sitting around the fire and he asked to look at it. He was messing around with it and I was looking way when all of a sudden BOOM, it scared the absolute snot out of both of us.

He swore he never had his finger anywhere near the trigger. There was no harm no foul because of course as always the muzzle was under control and not pointed towards anyone. Even though he protested he never touched the trigger I attributed it to the awkwardness of a right hander operating a left hand bolt. I mean I know how clumsy I always feel when I pick up a right handed gun, but he insisted repeatedly that he never touched the trigger and he is a very careful man.

I never tried to duplicate it because I was sure he must have accidentally touched it off. I have never had a problem since but now I am wondering ?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 AM

I talked to that gunsmith in Nanton and he said he has about 2 a year that come in with that complaint. Usually dirty and old grease. Had one they attributed to wet snowy conditions and then ice build up.
He recommends aside from normal safe handline use, a clean well oiled mechanism, and if it bothers you that it might happen, aftermarket trigger.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM

A safety is a mechanical device, it can malfunction, like any other mechanical device. There is very likely a lot of truth in the evidence shown on the program.
NBC has to be able to prove the claims on something that prominent in the USA.
And here we have two instances being described here on this forum.
It doesn't surprise me, I've never had it happen, and have owned 700's since 1985. I've bounced them down a slope, ran over them, had them bashed against a tree by horses, never a problem.
But, by the same token, I don't put a round in the chamber unless I intend to shoot at something, not very likely to have an accident that way.
Remington's complete denial of the problem doesn't surprise me ,either.

Remington is a corporation, it will deny it of course, NBC wants to make ratings.
This one will either wind up in court or in a recall , or both.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Default Happened To Me

Happened to me a few years back. I was cycling the shells to clear the spring magazine so that I would not drop the shells in the snow in the dark with cold hands. Why I was closing the bolt was a stupid error on my part. It went off on about the 3rd shell. It was pointed in a safe direction, but significantly hurt my hand as the bolt slammed into the tip of my thumb as I was loosely holding the rifle....Not to mention it scared me real bad.

I cycled the bolt a few hundred times after that and could not duplicate it firing. Even in cold conditions. In any case. Proper gun handling safety is key and I was taught to never have one in the chamber. "if you don't have time to cycle the bolt, then you shouldn't be shooting anyway" as my Dad would say.

I love my Remington 700!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

i own a 700 rem i've used it for years i adjusted the trigger myself and loved it but this spring i took it in to get it re-barreled and the gunsmith screwed with my trigger and when i got it back i went to the gunrange and after a couple of shots i could not even close the bolt without it going off so i went home and took it apart and saw somebody had been into it (he put that yellow paint on the screws) so i re-adjusted it and i've been using it ever since without any problems
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Precisionshooter

Unfortunately I hadn't seen the show, but how does this all relate to "Muzzle Control?"
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

I handled a brand new Rem 700 in 30-06 bone collector edition, last week. A friend had it discharge twice while attempting to unload the rifle on separate ocasions. Once the rifle was loaded and the safety put on the gun would fire ocassionally when you would move the safety to the off position. This was a brand new gun. Abuse or lack of cleaning were not issues here. I was amazed at how easily I could replicate the accidental discharge by switching the safety off. This may not occur in every 700 model rifle but it is definately occuring in some.
I also think that it is very unfair of anyone who has not watched the show to judge the mother who "shot" her son. You bunch of armchair quarterbacks should be ashamed of yourselves.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM

Default Remminton 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Hunter View Post
Ok guys this is really serious. I just watched a 1 hour CNBC report on the Remington 700 called "Remington Under Fire" the program claims that the 700 trigger (not the x-mark trigger) has the potential to go off with only the touch of the bolt or by simply taking the safety off.

Documents suggest they knew about it for 50 years and have chosen not to fix it due to cost. Even the old man who originally designed the thing says he tried to get them to fix it, even after he retired. Remington's own documents show that they know there are 10s of thousands of these 700s that have the potential for this problem

A kid was killed in Montana. His Mom was holding the rifle.

There is film showing a police demonstration of the problem. I watched it myself. the guy cycles the bolt, touches the safety or taps the bolt handle, and it goes off. This is real, not the suspicious hearsay of someone who claims "it just went off"

Google this and keep your kids safe.

Has anyone else heard a different side of this?
I had a 7mm STW in a model 700 & it was about 7 years ago i was sitting on a brush pile on a push, the weather was about -25 or -30 deg. & all i did was pull the gun up to my sholder & it went off!!!!! Never had a intrest in them since