Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 06:48 PM

Default Opinions please

I am 72 this year with bad ankles due to sport and farming injuries. Before my son moved to winnipeg he harvested an elk that took us 7 hours to clean & get back to truck prob 5 miles. I could hardly wslk for several days. He is back in calgary so we may apply for some draws this year but realistically i think my big game days are numbered. Add to which with a new job chances of him booking off a week or two are not likely.

I have many browning tikka and sako rifles equiped with quality leupold scopes.
I still use most of my 4 gauges of shotguns so they are not an issue. I see others listing individual items so looks like they are clearing house.
Would i be better listing individual items or a simple ad listing whole bunch of items with serious inquiries only for details and descriptions. This will not be a fire sale i was in the business for many years so have a good idea on current prices. Other possibility is to consign everything to prophet river so i can avoid low balls and tire kickers. Know there are auctions in saskatoon and edmonton but i am not going to pay 25% for high quality and in demand firearms.
Rob
Rob
Old 04-08-2024, 07:01 PM

Hi!

I would sell them myself.. you have quality stuff and im sure they will sell.

When I had my shop I never sold a gun with a scope on it. But I left the rings and mounts on the rifle. I found things sold better that way.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:02 PM

If you are going to post an ad, have good pictures, and descriptions, and post all in one ad. If you don't want to deal with tire kickers or shipping, or scammers, consign with Prophet River, you will likely even get more, , since they will get more exposure.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:15 PM

Default Thanks

I guess my reasoning for leaving scopes on is pretty much each one is tuned to reloads for 1/2 or 3/8 group accuracy. I can see some one who doesnt know me not wanting to shoot someone elses reloads but i also hate to see someone start over with new scope to find sweet spot when it has been determined over the last 30 or 40 years for each one.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:16 PM

Default rifle sale

Rob, I would be inclined to list the rifles in groups, probably by manufacturer. Have a "group photo" of the rifles for each manufacturer, then a basic description with price. Potential buyers could then follow up with you to get more details/additional photos for any of the items that they are interested in.

I have consigned with Prophet River several times over the years. Always excellent to deal and it certainly does takes the headaches out of the process. You assign an asking price and a reserve price to each item, so tire kicking is minimized. Typically I have the $$ from the consigned items rolled over to a store credit. Done this way there is a flat $50 fee for each item sold. I am am not sure what their cash payout terms and conditions are, however it is definitely worth giving them a call.

Good luck !!
Old 04-08-2024, 08:13 PM

Are they of sentimental value to your son?
Old 04-08-2024, 08:51 PM

What calibres do you have WW?? Pm if you are so inclined..
Old 04-08-2024, 10:01 PM

I sold more then a few items on here as well as gunshows and auctions. Gunshows were fun, but I never made a dime after expenses etc. I made good money selling on the forums AO, CGN but it is a definitely an investment in time and patience as well as the hassles of shipping and scammers. Auctions, well the good stuff sold cheap, and the junk sold well, so pretty much got my asking prices if selling separately, with half the hassles and heartaches.

Some auction houses charge both a seller/buyers fees so be careful. I know I would probably loose some money if I were to sell my "keepers" at auction. But for the time, shipping and hassles of selling online, I would sell by auction. Selling to a "friend" who is going to buy them all, then re-sell them, they could realistically only offer you half price if they want to stay in business.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 04-08-2024 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I guess my reasoning for leaving scopes on is pretty much each one is tuned to reloads for 1/2 or 3/8 group accuracy. I can see some one who doesnt know me not wanting to shoot someone elses reloads but i also hate to see someone start over with new scope to find sweet spot when it has been determined over the last 30 or 40 years for each one.
That's one of the reasons that I prefer rifles sold with the scope.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:00 AM

Join Canadian gunnutz, advertise there and here. Individual items and don’t post them all at once, it’s difficult to manage and keep track of all the questions. Selling locally for cash is far safer for you, no shipping, no worries about scammers etc.