Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Default BUSHNEL trophy TRAIL cam

In the market for a trail cam.did any of you try these out ?how r they? R they worth owning tx
Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM

I own one and they aren't worth the money. Mine started taking half IR and half color pictures during the day after the 2 weeks of use and Ive had problems every since. Look into a DLC Covert II, they are a much better camera in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM

I have 3 and love em. Put them i. Your pocket and put it up if you find a nice spot when you are out hiking. Used them at -30 with no issues. They are cheap, the only thing i don't like is the lack of security features
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM

I watched a guys cabin this summer and he bought me two of these to use for survellince. I liked them a lot. Took nice pictures, both day and night. Very easy to conceal as well.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRenaud View Post
I own one and they aren't worth the money. Mine started taking half IR and half color pictures during the day after the 2 weeks of use and Ive had problems every since. Look into a DLC Covert II, they are a much better camera in my opinion.
Hey ChrisRenaud, just send it back to bushnell and they will replace it with a brand new one. Mine was taking piles of pictures of nothing sent it back and they replaced it. I have another and it works great!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRenaud View Post
I have 3 and they are the best cam i have. The covert 2 are junk i have 2of them with nothing but problems, last year the covert 1 was good but they switched to a different suplier and they went to hell, 2011they went back to the same supplier so the 2011 should be better.I will trade you the covert for the bushnell.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

I did allot of research before finally pulling the plug and buying one. I checked the independent reviews and found a comparison chart based on a strict criteria. The Bushnell Trophy placed right up on top behind ReconX which will cost you 2x as much. I haven't tried it yet, Santa brought it, but I feel comfortable with my purchase......I mean Santa's purchase.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 AM

they are crap mine worked graet for about a week and now it wont show a single thing on the screen. lights blink on the front and i have tried differnt s-d cards and nothing. At least it captured one dink buck before it craped out.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 AM

I have been building my own for about 5 years. They work great. Here is a link to a fellow in Sask that builds and sells. He uses the same components that I use and his work is first rate. I have not seen a store bought unit that will compare to these.
When looking at features, only pay for IR if you are using it where a night flash may attract 2 legged camera grabbers. Animals are not bothered by the white flash. I have thousands of pictures of deer, elk, moose,bear and others at nightime. In fact a lot of time the white flash will attract. I get a lot of pictures where they have come to the camera and put their face right to the flash. They must see stars for a while. Here is a link to some of my pics so you can see what these home builds can do.

http://www.saskatchewanhunts.ca/foru...p?do=view&g=19
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 AM

Default Trail cam

I have one. Mine takes pictures constantly. If you buy the expensive batteries they recomend it's $30.00 every time, gets very expensive. I have heard they have awesome customer service. I am going to try it out once I get back home. If they replace it, with one that works properly, I will give it a good review. They take awesome pictures.

Joe
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
I have been building my own for about 5 years. They work great. Here is a link to a fellow in Sask that builds and sells. He uses the same components that I use and his work is first rate. I have not seen a store bought unit that will compare to these.
When looking at features, only pay for IR if you are using it where a night flash may attract 2 legged camera grabbers. Animals are not bothered by the white flash. I have thousands of pictures of deer, elk, moose,bear and others at nightime. In fact a lot of time the white flash will attract. I get a lot of pictures where they have come to the camera and put their face right to the flash. They must see stars for a while. Here is a link to some of my pics so you can see what these home builds can do.

http://www.saskatchewanhunts.ca/foru...p?do=view&g=19
Awesome pictures dgl!!!! Great job.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerboy View Post
they are crap mine worked graet for about a week and now it wont show a single thing on the screen. lights blink on the front and i have tried differnt s-d cards and nothing. At least it captured one dink buck before it craped out.
Interesting. That is exactly what happened to mine. I took it back to WSS and they told me they had never seen one do this. I got a replacement of a different brand (plus some $) but haven't tried it yet.

Kevin
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Smile

Two that I have work great .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Great little camera for the money, it started to take pictures with no motion it seems but better it takes too many pictures than not enough. The other things with these cameras is the amount you can save with batteries, it offers allot of options between rechargeables, lithium, nickel and of course alkaline. The battery life is amazing with Lithiums!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM

I have one (had) the only time it worked was pictures of peas. after a 2 mile hike to retrieve the pictures i discovered it had taken zero pictures in 2 weeks. I then procedeed to find a big branch and smashed in on the tree. Zero patience for electronics...
Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

It's funny how things change with time. When I researched the cam I read all positive comments on here about them. Now it seems like there are allot of people that had trouble with them. Is the quality control coming down?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM

I bought 2 this past Fall. To be honest, I liked my Moultrie over the Trophy. It wasn't as easy to pack or set up, but the overall quality was better for the same money. I would rate the Bushnell Trophy at about a 6 1/2 out of 10.

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM

I forgot to put a link in my prvious post for a guy that builds and sells. Here it is.

http://www.monarchimages.ca/
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector10 View Post
I have one (had) the only time it worked was pictures of peas. after a 2 mile hike to retrieve the pictures i discovered it had taken zero pictures in 2 weeks. I then procedeed to find a big branch and smashed in on the tree. Zero patience for electronics...
. .You have to turn it on.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Cam

I bought two and I bought two of the Scoutguards. Different shape, same size.
Trophy's were $100.00 more in price each.
The Scoutguards are much better. Nicer picture, better IR, better service, better battery life.

Buy the Scoutguard and save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.