Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Grizzly bear Study

Saw a really interesting Power point presentation on the Grizzly population study going on along the east slopes and NW Alberta(grizzly habitat in Alberta)

The first interesting thing was a map of North America showing the traditional historic range of the Grizzly Bear. Then the present Range, which I'm sure you would all agree is much much smaller. Looking at todays Grizzly range you see that Alaska,Yukon, Westerly NWT, most all of BC and a sliver along the west side of Alberta is all that is left. Then a couple islands in the States.

The sliver along the west side of Alberta showed me that in the big picture of grizzly bears, Alberta only has a relatively small bit of grizzly range.

Then a map of just Alberta showing the area that had "Grizzly Habitat" with potential to hold bears. Fairly extensive DNA (Barbed wire around a lure scent)sites showed that there were probably no bears in a lot of the habitat on the eastern edge of the possible bear habitat. ROADS and agricultural and industrial developement along the eastern portion of "grizzly range" pretty well matched the area they found almost no bears.

In the area on the west side of the bears range there were pockets of higher bear density. But over all there was not a really large number of Grizz in Alberta.

In the "scientists" summation he said something like this. There is an area on the east side of the Grizzly range that could and should have grizzly bears living in it. They are not there because of a number of reasons (human disturbance, poaching, native hunting etc.). If we can "overcome" these factors that are keeping bears away, then we can have a lot more bears in Alberta. But we need a surplus population of bears on the western front who can move east into that habitat. So even though there may be enough bears in the west to have a very small hunt, it may be better to not kill any bears now so there will be many more bears down the road so a greater surplus of bears will be spread over a greater area.

So if you saw 6 bears last year in a pocket where you only saw 1 three years ago, it does not mean that the population in Alberta is up. And shooting one or two bears this year may mean that all the bear hunting Alberta will ever amount to is to be able to shoot one or two bears a year from now on.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 PM

I really like that term "overcome", political speak for we really should do something, but we don't know what to do and if we did, the Will do do so, would be lacking. In the pre Whiteman era, Grizzlies followed the buffalo herds as far east as Manitoba, but I don't think anybody wants to go back to those times either. Was this a one time presentation Robin, or will it be available for the rest of us, to see too?
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 04-10-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Gone Hunting

"overcome" was the word I chose as I was paraphrasing the speaker. I put it in quotes as I wasn't sure it was the right word to use.

Access in one big problem. It leads to human pressure and poaching opportunity. However the public seems to think that once a road is into an area that the public has the right to go there. If gates get put on resource roads I hear people complaining that the companies staff are getting a private fishing and hunting area and "thats not fair".

Not sure if the Grizzly study talk is something put on much. I would definately recomend that the AF&GA request it for the conference next year.

Sundre F&G awards and Banquet coming up April 19th I see. I might make it down to see how they put on their due.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 PM

Default wow

I am sick and tired of DE CITIE FOLK TALKING about what is going about i n the bush in alberta most of you spend about as much time out there as i do on the can 1-2 3 weeks a year I live my life there and you have the balls to tell me that bears are in bad shape not at all I could take any who have the cahoonas to face grizz face to face for a RARE pic any time you want and then tell me they are scarce come on get off the anti wagon

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-23-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: remove profanity
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickell View Post
I am sick and tired of DE CITIE FOLK TALKING about what is going about i n the bush in alberta most of you spend about as much time out there as i do on the can 1-2 3 weeks a year I live my life there and you have the balls to tell me that bears are in bad shape not at all I could take any who have the cahoonas to face grizz face to face for a RARE pic any time you want and then tell me they are scarce come on get off the anti wagon
We's City Folk?

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-23-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: remove profanity from quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM

Great there's bears out there! Wow what a concept. Why don't we quit trying to play God and let mother nature maintain the balance...

Fickell I have met a lot of "country" folk that haven't a clue also but whom also don't have the sense to realize that. Keep in mind that many city folk are ex-country folk. Not all were born and raised in a mall with a video game controller for a soother. Many just left the country to educate themselves about the bigger picture past their front window.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I am sick and tired of you f---DE CITIE FOLK TALKING about what is going about i n the bush in alberta most of you spend about as much time out there as i do on the can 1-2 3 weeks a year I live my life there and you have the balls to tell me that bears are in bad shape not at all I could take any who have the cahoonas to face grizz face to face for a RARE pic any time you want and then tell me they are scarce come on get off the anti wagon
I guess Rocky Mountain House is the big city to this guy. Take a pill, calm down. You do know how to deliver a reasoned argument though

And can we stop the the "city folk" bashing? It's usually delivered with as much evidence and knowledge as if I were to say that everyone who lives in the country is a hick with three teeth who married his sister.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I am sick and tired of CITIE FOLK TALKING about what is going about i n the bush in alberta most of you spend about as much time out there as i do on the can 1-2 3 weeks a year I live my life there and you have the balls to tell me that bears are in bad shape not at all I could take any who have the cahoonas to face grizz face to face for a RARE pic any time you want and then tell me they are scarce come on get off the anti wagon

Does this count?
Grizz

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-23-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: emove profanity from quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM

I was just finishing up the James Gary Shelton Books on Bears. I find it interesting that Biologists and he have similar views and some things but are at complete opposites on another. I guess it show that it is really hard to find good accuarte information (not saying that what has been given isnt accurate).

What I am wondering is what is holding capacity of Grizzly bears in Alberta? By Holding Capacity, I mean what is a sustainable amount of bears? Then I would like to know where Alberta is in comparison with it grizzly bear population? This is just for my own knowledge as I am unaware and trying to become more informed.

Thanks