Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Default Dividing and repacking bulk powder in the kitchen

Now before you get the wrong idea. I give newly hatched chukars and pheasants water soluable electrolyte vitamin powder in their drinking water for the first 10 days to help relieve stress along with a bit of honey to encourage them to drink. Use 2 800 gram envelopes of the mixture each year. this year my supplement provider messed up and didnt order any of the small envelopes for small bird operations but only brought in the 10 kg pale that hog producers put 400 grams in large waterer (700 litre). I use 30 grams per 1 gallon waterer so 10 kg is a lifetime supply. Tried getting a few of the local farmers to split it with me (cattle hogs turkeys or chicken producers) but no one called back. Large pail expires in December 2018 so the only way to keep it fresh is freeze it in airtight packaging 1000 grams each food saver bag.
[IMG][/IMG]

yes it really is vitamin electrolyte mixture

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2017, 01:28 PM

I was expecting a Higginson's bulk buy report.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:59 PM

Default Vitamins

I use the same kinda thing (poly-tonine A complex) less the sodiums and minerals made by vetoquinol for my layers. I get it in the small 100 g pouches at Peavey Mart. One pouch makes 225 liters for 4 to 6 days .
Old 05-27-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I was expecting a Higginson's bulk buy report.
Yeah, was gonna suggest as long as you don't smoke, no problem. Son's wife has a Red Deer poultry permit, was surprised to see the chicks under a heat lamp in the living room.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Yeah second guessing

Last time we tried to put together a bulk powder purchase from Higginson or Hummason we only had 3 people interested.

11 packages of about 800 grams each back in the original plastic sealed pail and in the freezer. Remainder for this year and perhaps next year fit in a 2 kg peanut butter jar to keep it dry in the very humid brooders.

I have had a freshly born llama inside under heat lamps in November but never any birds in the house. Would be bad for the bird dogs!!

Last edited by wwbirds; 05-27-2017 at 05:16 PM.