Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 03:11 PM

Default Tobin lake accommodations and info

So the wife and I are planning our winter and Tobin is finally on the list this year. I've been gathering some info but I have never been so want to make sure I've got my ducks in a row.
Would likely be a late Feb early March trip and we will have a 1 year old with us. We will be limited to truck travel or possibly sxs having the young one with us. From what I gather....Tobin Lake resort has ice shacks out in the flats and the owner plows roads out to his shacks. I've also heard he gets a bit uptight if people not staying with him use these plowed roads or set up too close to his area....is this correct?
Are there several well used vehicle access points on the lake? I realize obviously nobody can predict ice and snow conditions but just looking for the generally speaking type answers. Any other info one could pass along would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:32 AM

I wish I could speak from experience but I've never been to tobin ice fishing. My friend who lives on the lake tells me after first ice at the end of November the walleye fishing becomes very hit or miss...more often miss. I am not sure if the resort is still doing shack rentals but i'm sure you could call them and find out. The flats is a well known summer & winter spot for pike. Some monsters pulled out of there every year. Best of luck and let us know what you're able to find out!
Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM

Tobin has 3 or 4 main public boat launch access points, one right in the town, but quite a few more smaller access spots. If snow is not too deep you will have choices, heavy snow, pretty much skidoo country or use the packed/plowed roads. I assume you will need somewhere to stay so the lodge may not be a bad option. Only stayed there once quite a few years ago but the guy that owned it then was a heck of a nice guy. Don't know if it is still owned by the same people. It is a very nice place to stay, we went in spring, don't know if it operated in winter. With the young child, one of their shacks might be a real good option for fishing that time of year.

That said, if anyone gave me a hard time about using a plowed road I would tell him to go pee up a rope. The lake is open to everyone, he has no exclusive rights. If he decides to plow a road it doesn't make it his property. Hope you have a great trip.