Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Default Boat rentals on Vancouver Island is only 35per hour. I highly recommend everyone trying it.

I highly recommend everyone trying it sometime in the future. Unfortunately its currently open to island residents only at this time during covid. Hopefully once it opens back up everyone will be able to fish on the ocean for a low cost. split between a few guys. I do recommend bringing your own net though! Our net broke when we landed a fish. Net ended up falling in the water with the fish still inside.

Enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/oLokIi62fFs

Have a wonderful day!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks but no thanks.

I don't go where I'm not welcome.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Thanks but no thanks.

The salmon welcomes you!

Respect wildlife
Old 10-22-2020, 02:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

dam Huy...you keep me wanting to go back and get a little Island time....35 bucks an hour that is insane....ohhhh and BC is gods country!!!!! Alberta is my home....but man I luv to fish all over this beauty of a country....always felt welcomed.

ohhhh and you folks run a boat like I do...total sitcom and lots of laughs...thx for the vid...keep'em coming!

oh and listen to the ol'lady too....the person netting the fish is in front of the person bringing in the fish....haha....unless you have a fandangled net that comes apart and still catches the fish while bringing it in....awesome!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 10-22-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
The salmon welcomes you!
I wish.

I've been to Rupert three times. Hooked a Halibut estimated to weigh over 200lb, but no not one salmon, for anyone in the boat on any of those trips.

Not that there were no salmon, just that we were never able to get out to where they were.

I'd like to go back, to see a whale and maybe catch a Salmon, but until the craziness ends it's not worth the risk.

One of my nephews lives in Burns Lake, BIL went to visit his son, stopped for fuel along the way. Went inside to pay and buy snacks, came out to find all four tires slashed.
Truck was parked in plain sight of the till yet no one saw a thing.
And it was the only one vandalized and the only one in the lot with Alberta plates.

Doesn't prove anything I know, but it's enough for me to avoid that province until things settle down, and by then I doubt I'll be well enough to make the trip.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 09:33 PM

Very cool. Looked like a blast!!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks.

You’re welcome to pitch your tent at my place anytime you like. There’s no salmon or halibut right here, but there’s good trout nearby...
We’re not all ignorant hillbillies out here.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
You’re welcome to pitch your tent at my place anytime you like. There’s no salmon or halibut right here, but there’s good trout nearby...
We’re not all ignorant hillbillies out here.
Thank you very much. And if you ever get out this way, I've got a spare room and plenty of parking space, for anything you might be draggin along.
You are welcome to stay here any time.

I know a few top shelf folks over there, mind you most of them are related to me, but obviously there are many more that aren't.

It's the few pot smoking tree huggers I wish to avoid, not the knuckle draggin hillbillies, they is my kinda folk.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2020, 03:44 AM

Good vid thanks for posting,
I’m on file there, rates were $45 in past years, good to see they dropped them a bit.
They be open to everyone soon I’m sure.
$35, but downriggers, Fish finders, canon balls, it can add up if u don’t have ur own gear.
Poor quality net but I bet u won’t pull it up like that again, ha.

TBark
Old 10-23-2020, 08:54 AM

We've rented from Pedder Bay a few times. Had a great time.

http://pedderbay.com/

Very reasonable pricing and good boats.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Good vid thanks for posting,
I’m on file there, rates were $45 in past years, good to see they dropped them a bit.
They be open to everyone soon I’m sure.
$35, but downriggers, Fish finders, canon balls, it can add up if u don’t have ur own gear.
Poor quality net but I bet u won’t pull it up like that again, ha.

TBark
bring your portable fish finder and a few pink ladies to get down to depth...duct tape for a questionable net

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2020, 12:08 PM

fished out of there many times,even know a couple halibut spots. next year will be a pink salmon year so will be good mid july to mid august and bbqed fresh pink is very good.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much. And if you ever get out this way, I've got a spare room and plenty of parking space, for anything you might be draggin along.
You are welcome to stay here any time.

I know a few top shelf folks over there, mind you most of them are related to me, but obviously there are many more that aren't.

It's the few pot smoking tree huggers I wish to avoid, not the knuckle draggin hillbillies, they is my kinda folk.
The tire slashing likely has more to do with the coastal gas link pipeline going right by Burns Lake and it being one of the hubs for the project. Thats also close to where the natives had/have everything blockaded, etc so I would bet that has to do more with someone against the pipeline seeing alberta plates and assuming theyre with the pipeline
Old 10-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
The tire slashing likely has more to do with the coastal gas link pipeline going right by Burns Lake and it being one of the hubs for the project. Thats also close to where the natives had/have everything blockaded, etc so I would bet that has to do more with someone against the pipeline seeing alberta plates and assuming theyre with the pipeline
Most in Burns are very happy to have the pipeline.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Most in Burns are very happy to have the pipeline.
correct, but there is a very select few known as the wet'suweten that arent and are veryyyyyy upset.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:34 AM

Nice work. Those are decent coho for sure. I like seeing all the wild coho too and going back. I'll have to look into boat rentals next year for Uculet if everything works out.

Keep em coming!
Old 10-25-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks.

I understand that but feel that this is way overblown. Your choice of course. Zero issues for me and my vehicle spent a lot of days by itself. Qualicum was so busy with tourists that it really did not feel like Covid times at all. I would to it again, no hesitation. No need to live in fear for me.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
That would make sense if it had happened in Burns Lake but as I said it happened on the way there.

Regardless, there are too many stories of hostility towards Albertans in that province for my liking.

If others chose to ignore the warnings or chose to believe there is no reason for concern, that's their choice. More power to them.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-26-2020, 09:34 AM

there was most likely always hostility towards Albertans. The news just shows it more since covid. Same with racism against asians. It was always around, just rarely shown on the news. Now you see it from all the news outlets

Respect wildlife