Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Lowrance install help

I'm looking to install an HDS-5 in place of a cheap Eagle using to uniplug. The uniplug is a 6pin cable that has both the power and the data for the transducer.

What I'm looking to do is just buy a cable that will convert the unicable to the blue transducer and the power for the HDS-5. I am aware of the cable that will convert from the unicable to the blue transducer (Part#10052-001), but this will lose the power and I have to run a new powerline.

The big issue is that the boat that I'm wanting to place this in is a rental. The boat has to be left in the original condition when I'm done. No cutting any cables just looking to plug and play.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 AM

Smile

I have run my HDS 5 as a portable rig for many years. I just mounted the transducer onto a 1X3 and then clamp it to the transom. Then you can mount the head of the unit onto a 1X6 board and clamp it to the side of the boat. As for the power cables just put some 3 or 4 inch clamps onto the power wires and clip them onto your battery. It's just that easy.

This picture shows the 1X6 with the head of the unit mounted to it. I also put a Scotty rod holder onto the board and an anchor pulley as well. I had everything mounted onto the transom there as it was on my Metzler inflateable. On that set up I just used the clamp that I had attached to the 1X6 to also clamp the 1X3 board with the transducer on it.

Rob

Last edited by Kingfisher; 07-29-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM

The portable idea is a good one, but I will be taking several planes to get to the ocean for fishing. Just looking for a converting cable.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM

any idea's?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM

The eagle runs a different x-ducer as you know.
I would build a portable set up. get a suction cup x-ducer mount( about 20 bucks) and buy a 12V 8amp Gel Cell battery and charger (40 bucks at the fishin Hole) mount the head to a board with the battery and make sure to tie the x-ducer to the boat. (just in case the suction cup lets go)
There is no easy way of converting from the uni-plug to the blue connecter of an HDS.