Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 11:04 AM

Default Rinella's brother says social media is ruining hunting. I don't disagree.

I just listened to an episode of the Meat Eater podcast. Steven Rinella's brother was a guest and went on a huge rant about how social media is ruining hunting. Ep. 304 The fish shack's revenge.

Considering Meat Eater are the absolute masters of modern hunting media use to promote commerce, it was interesting they gave him a voice to oppose them on their own social media platform.

Some of his points were around hunter recruitment and how many hunters are enough, social media likes as a major motivation for killing big animals, how hunting shows hunt private land but promote the public land hunting lifestyle, he also asked them outright how many animals they've wounded and not recovered during filming but never mentioned. They never really answered that question (no judgment on my part, we've all wounded animals).

It sounds like the over crowding of public land hunting areas is just as bad in Montana as it is in Southern Alberta. 2020 and 21 were so busy out in the foothills and I found it detracted from the overall hunting experience. It makes me wonder how many hunters are enough hunters, but I don't want to give up my opportunities so why would anyone else?

Hopefully when covid goes away things go back to normal out there. But somehow I don't think it ever will.....
Old 01-04-2022, 11:08 AM

Humans in general are ruining hunting as well as anything we touch, social media is just more more thing for people who want the easiest path to their idea of a reward be it money or bragging rights.
Cat
Old 01-04-2022, 11:15 AM

My favorite part of that article was when he called out the likes of Cam Hanes, Joe Rogan and their group of buddies that kill 4 bull elk each per year on 4 different ranches. Apparently Aron Snyder, owner of Kifaru took 7 bull elk one year. Gotta do it for the gram. While I have killed zero elk so far I see Cam Hanes' gym with like 30 elk mounts and wonder if it ever gets tiring doing a guided hunt 4 times per year instead of maybe a public land diy hunt with risk of coming home empty handed?

I'll get the article from Rokslide.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...social-media//
Old 01-04-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
My favorite part of that article was when he called out the likes of Cam Hanes, Joe Rogan and their group of buddies that kill 4 bull elk each per year on 4 different ranches. Apparently Aron Snyder, owner of Kifaru took 7 bull elk one year. Gotta do it for the gram. While I have killed zero elk so far I see Cam Hanes' gym with like 30 elk mounts and wonder if it ever gets tiring doing a guided hunt 4 times per year instead of maybe a public land diy hunt with risk of coming home empty handed?

If you had a $100K marketing budget you could create a hunting social media influencer. He or she would need the motivation and work ethic to train and practice (bow hunting specifically). But it could be done.
And some natural charisma would help!
Old 01-04-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
If you had a $100K marketing budget you could create a hunting social media influencer. He or she would need the motivation and work ethic to train and practice (bow hunting specifically). But it could be done.
And some natural charisma would help!
I totally get it, they are brand ambassadors or sponsored athletes but in the few years I've followed a few of the Joe Rogan n friends they seem to only hunt a couple species. Like once John Dudley switched to PSE and got Joe n friends on PSE all of a sudden PSE was the best even though Hoyt was the best before.

Cam hunts ranched or guided animals period.

Joe seems to only hunt elk and axis deer on lanai.

Jocko is new to hunting and has only taken an elk as far as I know with John Dudley's help.

At least people like Steve Rinella, Remi Warren, Randy Newberg hunt most species, don't seem to take 4 bulls per year and accept going home empty handed. I remember one podcast Joe even said he doesn't like failure so he does hunts with high probability. Probably after hunting Alaska with Rinella he decided getting rained on for a week straight sucked lol. John Dudley shoots a lot of elk but also shoots a lot of whitetails and snags an antelope too.

Last edited by DirtShooter; 01-04-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:40 AM

An interesting listen is his original "Blood Origins" before he was on MeatEater.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I totally get it, they are brand ambassadors or sponsored athletes but in the few years I've followed a few of the Joe Rogan n friends they seem to only hunt a couple species. Like once John Dudley switched to PSE and got Joe n friends on PSE all of a sudden PSE was the best even though Hoyt was the best before.

Cam hunts ranched or guided animals period.

Joe seems to only hunt elk and axis deer on lanai.

Jocko is new to hunting and has only taken an elk as far as I know with John Dudley's help.

At least people like Steve Rinella, Remi Warren, Randy Newberg hunt most species, don't seem to take 4 bulls per year and accept going home empty handed. I remember one podcast Joe even said he doesn't like failure so he does hunts with high probability. Probably after hunting Alaska with Rinella he decided getting rained on for a week straight sucked lol. John Dudley shoots a lot of elk but also shoots a lot of whitetails and snags an antelope too.

Rogans a big mouth putz. Been hunting what? Less than 10 years? But blabs on like he's an African PH. Comes across as a complete newb on every hunt I've seen him on then gets on his podcast and talks like he's been doing it for 50 years. Would never kill an animal if he wasn't guided, not that he's alone in that department, so right off the bat he gets close to zero respect from me.

He's no better or worse than any other internet "influencer" I guess and really that's all he is.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

So you think he hasnt hunt public land dyi hunts before?
You need to do your home work

The problem isnt social media ruining hunting, its greed and jealousy!

Maybe instead of cruising instagram or forums you should be doing what cam did in order to be sucessful. Put in the work! Then maybe you would understand where he came from and where hes been! Hes successful because he worked harder than everyone else! He runs the equivalence of a marathon every damn day! But he only gets big elk because he goes on guided hunts? Give your head a shake!

Rinella is a goof who played the average joe card and that was his niche
He did countless dumb things just to get attention
Hes a terrible hunter that likes to cook odd things
If he wasnt out looking for attention, glory and money. The why would he ever have a tv show?

If you want to know whos in it for the attention and whos in it for the love of the outdoors
See how many hashtags people have on their profiles!
Its pretty easy to see people intentions

Thats my rant on this!
Old 01-04-2022, 01:36 PM

Kuiu just sent me an email saying I was pro staff. I was excited until I saw that they sent my kids and my wife the same one.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-04-2022, 01:56 PM

You want to enjoy hunting for what it is stop giving a crap about what others think or do. Go out and hunt for your own personal reasons and own personal goals.

I don’t see the hype with Rinella personally but compared to others out there he does put in an effort to try and put hunting in a good light. But honestly the guy is also a show man and is playing things up

As for the busy public land comments I have been hearing it for years but I have never found it all that hard to get away from others.

Your choice on how you go about your hunting and it will be what you make of it
Old 01-04-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You want to enjoy hunting for what it is stop giving a crap about what others think or do. Go out and hunt for your own personal reasons and own personal goals.
But but what about the millions and trillions of people on FakeBook that need to know how awesome I am????? Wont somebody think of them????

Years ago I posted pics when i first joined.

I used to burn donuts in the school parking lot too at one time......

I just got sick of it.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:38 PM

I think Rinella maybe has undiagnosed mental health issues. You see the crap he eats???? Damn guy ate a coyote one time.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I think Rinella maybe has undiagnosed mental health issues. You see the crap he eats???? Damn guy ate a coyote one time.
anything for attention
Old 01-04-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
If a coyote tastes like it smells - I would rather go vegan.....well, almost.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
ohhh come on you ate some stuff in university

Rinella is one fella I listen too when he speaks.

Social media has many platforms and we can pick and choose accordingly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-06-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Yep and Newburg tried Wolf.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Humans in general are ruining hunting as well as anything we touch, social media is just more more thing for people who want the easiest path to their idea of a reward be it money or bragging rights.
Cat

X2
Old 01-04-2022, 03:48 PM

Truth is right before us, we visit a outdoor site which content of sharing hunting stories and pictures is nearly dead already. Damage is already done.

Covid changed a lot, this too will fade and we will be a dying group again..
Old 01-04-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Truth is right before us, we visit a outdoor site which content of sharing hunting stories and pictures is nearly dead already. Damage is already done.

Covid changed a lot, this too will fade and we will be a dying group again..
It does draw a giggle reading about how horrible social media is by guys with many thousands of posts on a social media/networking forum.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
It does draw a giggle reading about how horrible social media is by guys with many thousands of posts on a social media/networking forum.
I think it has more to do with the content of the posts more than the number.
Cat
Old 01-04-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think it has more to do with the content of the posts more than the number.
Cat
I think it has more to do with guys posting on a forum critiquing social media regardless of the number of posts.

Kinda like complaining about global warming on your cell phone from the plane.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I think it has more to do with guys posting on a forum critiquing social media regardless of the number of posts.

Kinda like complaining about global warming on your cell phone from the plane.
Like I stated in post #2, people are wrecking everything, it is what we do best, regardless.
Cat
Old 01-06-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I just listened to an episode of the Meat Eater podcast. Steven Rinella's brother was a guest and went on a huge rant about how social media is ruining hunting. Ep. 304 The fish shack's revenge.

Considering Meat Eater are the absolute masters of modern hunting media use to promote commerce, it was interesting they gave him a voice to oppose them on their own social media platform.

Some of his points were around hunter recruitment and how many hunters are enough, social media likes as a major motivation for killing big animals, how hunting shows hunt private land but promote the public land hunting lifestyle, he also asked them outright how many animals they've wounded and not recovered during filming but never mentioned. They never really answered that question (no judgment on my part, we've all wounded animals).

It sounds like the over crowding of public land hunting areas is just as bad in Montana as it is in Southern Alberta. 2020 and 21 were so busy out in the foothills and I found it detracted from the overall hunting experience. It makes me wonder how many hunters are enough hunters, but I don't want to give up my opportunities so why would anyone else?

Hopefully when covid goes away things go back to normal out there. But somehow I don't think it ever will.....
I found this post I made one year ago, which I forgot about.
I'm wondering if peoples opinions have changed or if they're the same one year later?

Myself, I still think that social media isn't improving hunting.

As for hunter numbers on public land, I had an injury that prevented me from hunting elk anywhere near as much as I had in other years, so as a result saw less hunters. Rifle opening day was just as big a gong show as last year, only the elk forgot to show up, so way less shooting.
Both my deer were harvested in areas where there are less people and way less hunting pressure. These spots are new to me but no doubt I'm crowding some hunters old spots!

I still listen to the Meat Eater podcast because it's the most entertaining.
Almost every time I look at Facebook I think about deleting it, but it's a good way to get community news and keep in touch with far away relatives.

So not much has changed in a year.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Myself, I still think that social media isn't improving hunting.
I feel social media improves very little. That being said, unless you count this forum, I'm not on social media, so likely not the best judge.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:

Some of his points were around hunter recruitment and how many hunters are enough, social media likes as a major motivation for killing big animals, how hunting shows hunt private land but promote the public land hunting lifestyle, he also asked them outright how many animals they've wounded and not recovered during filming but never mentioned. They never really answered that question (no judgment on my part, we've all wounded animals)

It's a broad statement - "ruined hunting." It hasn't ruined my hunting. I suppose it depends on how you hunt. If you cruise around in a truck or on a machine, i expect you're much more susceptible to having your hunting ruined than if you get out on foot and log some miles. Hell, i even saw hunters this year with their trucks parked at the side of the road at pipeline ROW's, rifle tripods resting on either side of the road - literally on the road - waiting for something to cross so they could snipe it - standing there by their tailgate sipping from their thermos's. Hard to ruin that sort of hunting, it's already ruined in my opinion. And illegal.

I wouldn't say any of my public land hunts have been ruined by social media, but i don't doubt the game is a helluva a lot more wary. I think what's ruined hunting in general more than anything is human population. There's just too damned many of us, pretty much everywhere. Alberta included.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post
It's a broad statement - "ruined hunting." It hasn't ruined my hunting. I suppose it depends on how you hunt. If you cruise around in a truck or on a machine, i expect you're much more susceptible to having your hunting ruined than if you get out on foot and log some miles. Hell, i even saw hunters this year with their trucks parked at the side of the road at pipeline ROW's, rifle tripods resting on either side of the road - literally on the road - waiting for something to cross so they could snipe it - standing there by their tailgate sipping from their thermos's. Hard to ruin that sort of hunting, it's already ruined in my opinion. And illegal.

I'm guessing WMU 511.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:45 PM

Best Canadian fishing and hunting show was the Red Fisher show at Scuttlebutt lodge.

Not too much TV now where the hosts would get visibly hammered to go out fishing.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Best Canadian fishing and hunting show was the Red Fisher show at Scuttlebutt lodge.

Not too much TV now where the hosts would get visibly hammered to go out fishing.
The first Lodge I guided at on the Winnipeg River had one of red Fisher's old boats it was like a 22 FT Cruiser did lot of river runs in that

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2023, 02:58 PM

Cannt stand most of the big money shows.
Fat dudes driving around in side by sides, with 5000 bucks of "wonder" rifles and scopes, ripping shots off 700yd + at game.
How many bad hits are we not seeing where the game runs off?

When Steve had that bad bow hit on an elk he declared his tag full.

I enjoy the work hard type shows of Randy/Gritty/Solo etc.

enuf said
my 2 cents