Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2018, 07:10 AM

Default Mountain WMUs hunting

Hey everyone,

I'm considering moving to Alberta (Lethbridge) after finishing school in Ontario. I'm really intrigued in Mountain hunting for Mule Deer and Elk. Generally, how is the hunting and public access in the southern Mountain WMUs (400, 402, and 404) and even the low 300s (Foothills; 300 and 302). Also, how is the small game hunting in those WMUs; Grouse and rabbits?

I've never been to Alberta so I'm not asking for coordinates but just a general sense. I would really appreciate any feedback.

Furthermore, how hard is it to draw (Deer and Elk) a tag in the southern Mountain WMUs for Bow and Rifle (I do both).

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum. Start reading and you will learn....
Old 08-22-2018, 01:52 PM

Better yet, drive out to the Colonies and have a look. It's a different world.

Grizz
Old 08-22-2018, 02:38 PM

There is quite a bit of crown land in the 400s, a little less but still some in the 300s, and the 100s tend to be mostly privately owned land. I love hunting mulie bucks in the 100 zones, the prairies. Takes 5-6 years to draw a tag though. Parts of the 400 zones are general tag (3 point) for elk, but mulie bucks require a draw, not sure what the anticipated wait time is for that. The hunting regs are linked through this site, it's easier to read them directly and post questions you have once you have a rough idea of Albert's hunting regulations.

We lost a lot of huntable crown land in 400 thanks to our NDP government reclassifying it as a park. Getting permission to hunt on private land in the 100s isn't too hard, and the hunting can be better because of less pressure.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
We lost a lot of huntable crown land in 400 thanks to our NDP government reclassifying it as a park. Getting permission to hunt on private land in the 100s isn't too hard, and the hunting can be better because of less pressure.
Is this Castle you're referring to? How have the changes affected hunting there? Never hunted that area myself and I am quite curious, as I heard they were going to continue to allow hunting, not that I believed that...
Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
Is this Castle you're referring to? How have the changes affected hunting there? Never hunted that area myself and I am quite curious, as I heard they were going to continue to allow hunting, not that I believed that...
Yes, it's the Castle area. Hunting is still allowed, but not everywhere you could before. The changes are just taking place and I haven't hunted it for a few years.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
Most of the area is still legally huntable, but you do need a discharge permit. However, access to much of the area is pretty tough without horses now. They closed down the majority of the main roads. Also, for guys that were hunting grouse in the area you aren't allowed to let you dog off a leash now or cut firewood etc....
Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:02 PM

Most of the 400s are General 6pt or 3pt for elk and General mule buck.
Lotsa Crown in the 400s....quite a bit in the western 300s as well,there’s some large tracts of public land in the SW 300s you are asking aboutvehicle access is restricted though....”again,our glorious/soon to be history/May can’t come soon enough NDP misgovernment’s handy work ,as well as a few very large ranches that are hunter friendly with access conditions.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Lotsa Crown in the 400s....quite a bit in the western 300s as well,there’s some large tracts of public land in the SW 300s you are asking aboutvehicle access is restricted though....”again,our glorious/soon to be history/May can’t come soon enough NDP misgovernment’s handy work ,as well as a few very large ranches that are hunter friendly with access conditions.
If this drought continues, you’ll see restricted access on both crown and private area within this zone. Too much fire danger
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Most mule buck zones are draws.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:45 AM

Compared to Ontario, the hunting access in that corner of Alberta is amazing. Lots of places to go without permission. Most of the changes going on have to do with OHV access.
So, if you want to hunt these areas you may need to access on foot.
Still, beautiful country with lots of opportunity, but as someone else mentioned, Mule deer are mostly on a draw.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:57 PM

Here’s a piece of advice in regards to Mule bucks.....stay in Ontario and pay a guide every year to come out and shoot one in Alberta.

If you move here and become a resident, its going to take you an average of 4 years to get drawn for a mulie buck.

Whats wrong with this picture? Lol
Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Most mule buck zones are draws.
My mistake,been awhile since I looked at Muley zones down there,but iirc most of the 400s were General mule buck when I moved to AB 8 years ago,must be a lot more of the southern 400s on draw since then?

Tags
elk, hunting, mountain, mule deer