Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
In all my time carrying a rifle for work I never once had a ND, i know many who did. That majority were operator error, cycle bolt did not remove magazine. Pull trigger boom...
Other ones were people who's rifles were loaded then did the old trigger pull to test if their safety was on.
Two were actual equipment failures, one was a complete failure of the mechanism the safety and a few pins were broken. where the other one had so much rust that the mechanism did not work properly.

I will keep on doing what I do. You keep on doing what you do. If we ever cross paths in the woods I will unload my rifle before having chat with you.
Appreciate that....I am no longer on Recce patrols nor check my six as often as I should but I am hunting, enjoying the freedom of having the opportunity to fill my freezer.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
270 Person, what make and model of rifle was it and what failed, causing the discharge?

So long ago NCC I don't remember much other than the 7mm part. I know it was a bolt, that it was its first day in the field, and unbelievably, that it had also discharged once earlier in the day while we were walking. That one went straight into the ground in front of him but he had the muzzle pointed where it should have been pointed.

In the case of the first discharge i dont believe the safety had been touched because we had not seen deer. In the second i believe he was working the bolt and he was unaware of the muzzle direction.

Circa mid 70's and I want to say it was one of the big 3 (R, B, or W) names but it would be unfair to suggest one over the other. Something is telling me it wasn't detach mag fed.

Know two things for sure. 7mm inside a Volvo makes one he'll of a bang and no steel plate inside lower portion of back seat would have meant a bullet entering dead centre low in spine on a near 45 degree angle.

Tags
chambered, hunt, round, unchambered